PDA

View Full Version : Top 10 Seasons By An American Based Racehorse

andtheyreoff
05-10-2012, 08:37 PM
I wrote a Top 20 list like this a while back on TVG, and here it is here (with a bit more explanation:

:10: Forego, 1974, 13-8-2-2, 1974 Older Male, 1974 Sprinter, 1974 Horse Of The Year

Forego had one of the best careers any horse has ever had, and 1974 was his piece de resistance. He dominated his peers from February to October, sweeping the Donn, Gulfstream, Widener, Carter, Brooklyn, Woodward, Vosburgh, and Jockey Club Gold Cup, plus near misses in the Nassau County and Met Mile. That is winning graded stakes from 7F to 16F, all in the span of one year. He carried 129 lbs in victory several times, plus 131 lbs in the Vosburgh.

:9: Round Table, 1958, 20-14-4-0, 1958 Older Male, 1958 Turf Male, 1958 Horse Of The Year

Winning three stakes on grass, plus sheer dominance early in 1958 gets Round Table on this list. He started off the year sweeping the San Fernando, Santa Anita Maturity (now known as the Strub), Big Cap, Gulfstream, Caliente, and Argonaut. He struggled a few times, finishing fifth in the Equipoise at Arlington, and then struggled in the slop in the Woodward. But he overcame those speed bumps to become one of the only horses to win 3 awards in one year.

:8: Busher, 1945, 13-10-2-1, 1945 Three Year Old Filly, 1945 Older Female, 1945 Horse Of The Year

One of the most underrated horses of all time, she won 10 races in a year shortened by World War II (racing was suspended from January to May 1945), which included defeat of males four times, including older males TWICE. In one of those races (the Washington Park Handicap), she defeated Armed, who she was giving only five pounds to. She defeated her older female peers several times that year, including the Santa Margarita (in JULY), the Cleopatra, and the Vanity. She has since been regulated to the backburner of history, but she is in the top 3 among three year old fillies all time IMO.

:7: Damascus, 1967, 16-12-3-1, 1967 Three Year Old Male, 1967 Older Male (shared with Buckpasser), 1967 Horse Of The Year

Was it not for a third place finish in the Kentucky Derby, Damascus would have won the Triple Crown in 1967 and would assume a much higher place on this list. Still, winning the Preakness, Belmont, Wood Memorial, Bay Shore, Leonard Richards, Dwyer, American Derby, Travers (by 22 lengths!!!), Aqueduct, Woodward (defeating Buckpasser and Dr. Fager by 10 lengths), and Jockey Club Gold Cup all in one year ain't too bad. In the aforementioned Dwyer, he gave sixteen pounds to runner up Favorable Turn and still won by 3/4 of a length. It's too bad Dr. Fager was kept out of the 1967 Triple Crown; the battles would've been tremendous.
Incidentally, despite being in the same foal crop, Dr. Fager and Damascus only raced against each other twice- in the Gotham, when Fager beat Damascus by 1/2 a length, and in the Woodward, when Damascus avenged the defeat.

:6: Rachel Alexandra, 2009, 8-8-0-0, 2009 Three Year Old Filly, 2009 Horse Of The Year

I know some of you guys might think this is too high, but I feel #6 is a justifiable place. First of all, Rachel did things few three year old fillies ever did- beat males THREE times, including a gutsy win in the Woodward against elders. What's more, she showed total domination over her female peers, winning two G1s by 19 and 20 lengths, the former race in a lightning fast time while blowing away two G1 winners. She is also one of only two undefeated horses on this list (Spectacular Bid will be the other).
Second, I think the era has a lot to do with her placing. Back in the day, owners were a lot more willing to take on the best and run their horses a lot. Many of the horses on this list, as you noticed, raced as many as 20 times. Now, we are lucky if a horse runs seven or eight times in a season, much less 15 or 20. For Stonestreet to take the gambles that they did with this great filly, instead of running in races that would've been exhibitions, earns her points in my book.

5-1 to come momentarily...

tbwinner
05-10-2012, 08:43 PM
For Stonestreet to take the gambles that they did with this great filly, instead of running in races that would've been exhibitions, earns her points in my book.

Cough, cough, so I'm guessing Zenyatta isn't in the top 5 then?

Not saying I disagree or agree, just wanted to be the first one to bring up Z in a RA post. :lol: now where's my prize?

thespaah
05-10-2012, 09:00 PM
I wrote a Top 20 list like this a while back on TVG, and here it is here (with a bit more explanation:

:10: Forego, 1974, 13-8-2-2, 1974 Older Male, 1974 Sprinter, 1974 Horse Of The Year

Forego had one of the best careers any horse has ever had, and 1974 was his piece de resistance. He dominated his peers from February to October, sweeping the Donn, Gulfstream, Widener, Carter, Brooklyn, Woodward, Vosburgh, and Jockey Club Gold Cup, plus near misses in the Nassau County and Met Mile. That is winning graded stakes from 7F to 16F, all in the span of one year. He carried 129 lbs in victory several times, plus 131 lbs in the Vosburgh.

:9: Round Table, 1958, 20-14-4-0, 1958 Older Male, 1958 Turf Male, 1958 Horse Of The Year

Winning three stakes on grass, plus sheer dominance early in 1958 gets Round Table on this list. He started off the year sweeping the San Fernando, Santa Anita Maturity (now known as the Strub), Big Cap, Gulfstream, Caliente, and Argonaut. He struggled a few times, finishing fifth in the Equipoise at Arlington, and then struggled in the slop in the Woodward. But he overcame those speed bumps to become one of the only horses to win 3 awards in one year.

:8: Busher, 1945, 13-10-2-1, 1945 Three Year Old Filly, 1945 Older Female, 1945 Horse Of The Year

One of the most underrated horses of all time, she won 10 races in a year shortened by World War II (racing was suspended from January to May 1945), which included defeat of males four times, including older males TWICE. In one of those races (the Washington Park Handicap), she defeated Armed, who she was giving only five pounds to. She defeated her older female peers several times that year, including the Santa Margarita (in JULY), the Cleopatra, and the Vanity. She has since been regulated to the backburner of history, but she is in the top 3 among three year old fillies all time IMO.

:7: Damascus, 1967, 16-12-3-1, 1967 Three Year Old Male, 1967 Older Male (shared with Buckpasser), 1967 Horse Of The Year

Was it not for a third place finish in the Kentucky Derby, Damascus would have won the Triple Crown in 1967 and would assume a much higher place on this list. Still, winning the Preakness, Belmont, Wood Memorial, Bay Shore, Leonard Richards, Dwyer, American Derby, Travers (by 22 lengths!!!), Aqueduct, Woodward (defeating Buckpasser and Dr. Fager by 10 lengths), and Jockey Club Gold Cup all in one year ain't too bad. In the aforementioned Dwyer, he gave sixteen pounds to runner up Favorable Turn and still won by 3/4 of a length. It's too bad Dr. Fager was kept out of the 1967 Triple Crown; the battles would've been tremendous.
Incidentally, despite being in the same foal crop, Dr. Fager and Damascus only raced against each other twice- in the Gotham, when Fager beat Damascus by 1/2 a length, and in the Woodward, when Damascus avenged the defeat.

:6: Rachel Alexandra, 2009, 8-8-0-0, 2009 Three Year Old Filly, 2009 Horse Of The Year

I know some of you guys might think this is too high, but I feel #6 is a justifiable place. First of all, Rachel did things few three year old fillies ever did- beat males THREE times, including a gutsy win in the Woodward against elders. What's more, she showed total domination over her female peers, winning two G1s by 19 and 20 lengths, the former race in a lightning fast time while blowing away two G1 winners. She is also one of only two undefeated horses on this list (Spectacular Bid will be the other).
Second, I think the era has a lot to do with her placing. Back in the day, owners were a lot more willing to take on the best and run their horses a lot. Many of the horses on this list, as you noticed, raced as many as 20 times. Now, we are lucky if a horse runs seven or eight times in a season, much less 15 or 20. For Stonestreet to take the gambles that they did with this great filly, instead of running in races that would've been exhibitions, earns her points in my book.

5-1 to come momentarily...
I will have to disagree with the presence of Rachel on your list.
I think the horses of more than 20 years ago could wipe the floor with anything on the track today.
Yes, Rachel was a freak. Perhaps that's what got her on your list.
My reasons are these. Of the pre 90's era.... Handicap horses carried more weight. They raced longer distances. A season was more than 7-11 starts.
There was not the abundance of graded stakes and special races put together by tracks shaking inflated purses and paying appearance money to boost attendance for one day. The best horses HAD to run against each other.If you would ask "do I believe the horses of 20 or more years ago were simply better?" My answer would be "in my opinion, yes."
Of course there is no scientific way to compare. I base my opinion on the factors listed above.
This is a discussion. Not an argument.

thespaah
05-10-2012, 09:02 PM
Cough, cough, so I'm guessing Zenyatta isn't in the top 5 then?

Not saying I disagree or agree, just wanted to be the first one to bring up Z in a RA post. :lol: now where's my prize?
You win a trip for two to the tomato packing plant in Frogmore, South Carolina.
:lol:

andtheyreoff
05-10-2012, 09:19 PM
:5: Kelso, 1963, 12-9-2-0, 1963 Older Male, 1963 Horse Of The Year

Like Forego, Kelso had a great career, with an unparalled 5 HOTY awards. 1963 was his best season of them all. He struggled in the Palm Beach at Hialeah to begin his season, but went on to win the Seminole, the Gulfstream Handicap, the John Campbell, the Nassau County, the Suburban, the Whitney, the Aqueduct, the Woodward, and the Jockey Club Gold Cup. Were it not for a defeat to Beau Purple in the Wiedner, he'd have a streak of 10 straight G1 caliber race wins. As it turns out, he still won 8 stakes in a row, good for 1963 HOTY. As a side note, he carried 130 lbs or more in victory SIX times, including a highweight of 134 lbs in the Aqueduct, where he crushed his rivals by 5.

:4: Buckpasser, 1966, 14-13-1-0, 1966 Three Year Old Male, 1966 Older Male (shared with Bold Bidder), 1966 Horse Of The Year

Were it not for an allowance loss in his first start of the year, Buckpasser would've had a perfect 14-14-0-0 1966 campaign. As it turns out, though, he won 13 in a row, including in infamous "Chicken" Flamingo, the Everglades, the Leonard Richards, the Arlington Classic, the Chicago, the Brooklyn, the American Derby, the Travers, the Woodward, the Lawrence Realization, the Jockey Club Gold Cup, and the Malibu. He won stakes ranging from 7F all the way to 16F, including a streak where he won 2 straight 10F races (Travers and Woodward), a 13F race (Lawrence), and a 16F race (JCGC). It's too bad he missed the Triple Crown; that would've been something to see.
BTW, an interesting historical "what if": that year: Kauai King won the Derby and the Preakness, but lost the Belmont. One must wonder who would've won the Three Year Old Male award and the HOTY if Kauai King had won the Belmont, and therefore the Triple Crown. It certainly would've been interesting.

:3: Spectacular Bid, 1980, 9-9-0-0, 1980 Older Male, 1980 HOTY

Not much that hasn't been said already can be typed here. No losses from 9 races, plus a mesmerizing sweep of the Strub series, capped off by a world record of 1:57.4 in the Strub (albeit over a rock hard strip). He then won five straight races with 130 lbs or more. The conclusion was his famous walkover in the Woodward, in which he ran alone. Few have been like him.

:2: Dr. Fager, 1968, 8-7-1-0, 1968 Older Male, 1968 Turf Male, 1968 Sprinter, 1968 HOTY

Four awards. Never done before, and will never be done again. EVERY race under 130 lbs. Again, never done before, and will never be done again. The Doctor towered over all in 1968, winning stakes from 7F all the way up to 1 1/4 miles. His only blemish was a loss to Damascus in the Brooklyn, but those bad memories were wiped away by going in 1:32.1 for the Washington Park Handicap at Arlington in 1968, under 134 lbs. Only one other horse had equaled that mark in the 44 years since, and that was under 19 less pounds. He showed his versatility by winning the United Nations on grass by a neck against the best grass horses in the country, and capped off his brilliance by winning the Vosburgh by 6, under a whopping 139 lbs in a supersonic 1:20.1. We'll never see another one like him.

:1: Citation, 1948, 20-19-1-0, 1948 Three Year Old Male, 1948 Older Male, 1948 Horse Of The Year

The ultimate campaign. The Triple Crown. Sixteen stakes wins, including a walkover in the Pimlico Special. He won the Sysnoby Mile at Belmont in September, wheeled back in three days to win the JCGC at 16F, and came back to win the Empire City Gold Cup two weeks later at 13F. During his Triple Crown run, he won the Derby Trial the Tuesday before the Derby, won the Derby, the Preakness, the Jersey Derby in between, then won the Belmont in the very fast 2:28.1. After the Pimlico Special, he shipped out to California and won the Tanforan Handicap.
No other season is in the same stratosphere as this one. Only Saggy's length prevented him from being 20-20-0-0 this year and having a 30 race win streak to begin his career. He won the Seminole, the Everglades, the Flamingo, the Chesapeake, the Derby Trial, the Kentucky Derby, the Preakness, the Jersey Derby, the Belmont, the Stars and Stripes, the American Derby, the Sysnoby Mile, the Jockey Club Gold Cup, the Empire City Gold Cup, the Pimlico Special, and the Tanforan- all in one year. Simply incredible.

cj
05-10-2012, 09:21 PM
I like it, solid stuff. Rachel the only horse in the last 31 years to make the list. I can't argue with that, horses just don't race enough these days.

thespaah
05-10-2012, 10:33 PM
Would like to have seen Cigar in there.

speed
05-10-2012, 11:31 PM
Would like to have seen Cigar in there.
Always thought he was one of the best. I forget but how many 110 or greater Beyers did he receive? Competed at the highest levels most every race during his 16 race win streak. Serious race horse.

PaceAdvantage
05-10-2012, 11:32 PM
Top 10 is a tough nut to crack...even for Cigar...

I'm also not sure I agree with the inclusion of Rachel Alexandra...I'm almost tempted to say that Holy Bull had an equally amazing 3yo season in 1994. He beat every single horse there was to beat that year...classic winners...older champions...champion sprinters...

But even though he's my favorite horse of all time since I started following the game in 1987, and I am totally biased in his favor, I don't think I could include him on your list...

PhantomOnTour
05-10-2012, 11:43 PM
When i watched Spectacular Bid run as a child i was certain i was watching the best horse in the world.
There may have been better before him, but i haven't seen his equal since.

thespaah
05-10-2012, 11:47 PM
John Henry is another horse worthy of consideration.
My base criteria.
1. longevity in career
2. ability to win at a variety of distances on both turf and dirt
3. ability to win at the highest levels.

thespaah
05-10-2012, 11:50 PM
When i watched Spectacular Bid run as a child i was certain i was watching the best horse in the world.
There may have been better before him, but i haven't seen his equal since.
I was present for the 1979 Belmont Stakes.
To watch SB run out of gas with two furlongs kind of sucked. On their other hand a guy I knew who was a mutuel clerk told me days earlier he heard about Coastal and convinced me to bet on him.

cj
05-11-2012, 12:17 AM
Top 10 is a tough nut to crack...even for Cigar...

I'm also not sure I agree with the inclusion of Rachel Alexandra...I'm almost tempted to say that Holy Bull had an equally amazing 3yo season in 1994. He beat every single horse there was to beat that year...classic winners...older champions...champion sprinters...

But even though he's my favorite horse of all time since I started following the game in 1987, and I am totally biased in his favor, I don't think I could include him on your list...

The only reason I think she should be considered is she was the only filly to beat older males in a G1 race, at least as I remember it. She was also undefeated.

Somebody mentioned John Henry, but this is about single seasons. Longevity wouldn't be a factor.

turninforhome10
05-11-2012, 12:18 AM
Not Necessarily in Order
Assault-1946 15 starts 8 W 2 P 2 S and a sweep of the triple crown on the way to horse of the year honors
Personal Ensign - 1988 Perfect year with 7 wins and a Breeders Cup for the Ages
Tom Fool- 1953- Perfect year and set a Track Record in the Pimlico Special
Buckpasser- 1966 Even with injury and missing the classics as a 3yo (what could have been) he finished the year with 14 starts 13 wins and 1 place.
Dr Fager-1968 Only horse to win four horse of the year titles with a season that was breathtaking

Being born in 1968, I was just a gleam but 1968 had to be one of the best years ever. I am jealous of you old timers Dr Fager Damascus what epic wars.

I am not taking anything away from Rachel but being a bit of a historian she would have to top Miesque,(beat boys in Breeders Cup x2), Ta Wee ( Fall Highweight 130lbs), Affectionately (1965- Champion sprinter and Co handicap mare Champion ) just to name a few.

senortout
05-11-2012, 12:23 AM
No Secretariat?....Forego was only fourth in his derby, and other stuff.

c'mon

turninforhome10
05-11-2012, 03:11 AM
Twilight Tear
At three, Twilight Tear won fourteen out of seventeen races including eleven straight, beating both fillies and colts. In the prestigious Pimlico Special she defeated Devil Diver and Kentucky Derby and Preakness Stakes winner Pensive in a time that matched the record set by Seabiscuit in the 1938 race. Her dominating performance in 1944 saw her named Horse of the Year by both the daily Racing Form[1] and the Turf and Sport Digest. In the latter poll she received 121 of the possible 154 votes, with the second placed Pavot receiving 20[2]

foregoforever
05-11-2012, 07:23 AM
Being born in 1968, I was just a gleam but 1968 had to be one of the best years ever. I am jealous of you old timers Dr Fager Damascus what epic wars.

I was but a lad back then, just learning about the sport from my father. Everyone points to the 70's as a sort of golden age, but those years from 65-68 were every bit as good. My father was a Buckpasser fan; I was a Damascus fan. But we ended up agreeing that Dr. Fager was probably the best of the three.

Pace Cap'n
05-11-2012, 08:05 AM
Dr Fager-1968 Only horse to win four horse of the year titles with a season that was breathtaking

s/b only horse to win four titles in one season. Champion handicap horse, champion sprinter, co-champion grass horse, and horse of the year.

tucker6
05-11-2012, 09:06 AM
No Secretariat?....Forego was only fourth in his derby, and other stuff.

c'mon
you're not understanding the purpose of the list, which is to rate single seasons of greatness. Secretariat had a great 3 yo campaign, but it was marred by 3 losses. For me, he obviously was a better horse than all of those listed. However, can a single season be considered top ten even if you have records being smashed right and left if you also lost three times? Methinks no.

Steve R
05-11-2012, 09:34 AM
I believe a case could be made for Tom Fool in 1953. Ten for ten and HOY over Native Dancer whose only loss from ten starts was by a head in the Derby. Tom Fool won at 5 1/2f, 6f, 7f, 8f, 9.5f and three times at 10f. Included in his wins were the Met Mile, Carter H, Brooklyn H, Whitney H and Pimlico Special. He carried 130 lbs or more four times including once at 135 and also at 136. And he won on the lead, prompting the pace and from off the pace.

I actually got to watch him on TV a when I was just ten years old and to this day I believe he is one of the most under-appreciated of the acknowledged all-time greats.

depalma113
05-11-2012, 10:35 AM
How can you not include Cigar in 1995? 10 for 10 including 8 Grade Ones?

turninforhome10
05-11-2012, 11:20 AM
s/b only horse to win four titles in one season. Champion handicap horse, champion sprinter, co-champion grass horse, and horse of the year.
Thanks for the correction.

Valuist
05-11-2012, 11:23 AM
I don't have lifetime past perfs for John Henry but I do know that in 1981 he received every vote for Horse of the Year. This was in the pre-BC days, so probably the two biggest dirt races in the US were the Santa Anita Handicap and the Jockey Club Gold Cup. The biggest grass race was the Arlington Million. John Henry won all three. Not to mention other Grade 1s that year.

turninforhome10
05-11-2012, 01:07 PM
I don't have lifetime past perfs for John Henry but I do know that in 1981 he received every vote for Horse of the Year. This was in the pre-BC days, so probably the two biggest dirt races in the US were the Santa Anita Handicap and the Jockey Club Gold Cup. The biggest grass race was the Arlington Million. John Henry won all three. Not to mention other Grade 1s that year.
When visiting the Kentucky Horse Park a few years back, I was reminded of who is in charge when you were around the great John Henry. I was full of myself and trying to impress my wife with my horse whispering(I know, but it was the ego). I was giving a few kind strokes to JH around his muzzle and when I turned to show my wife how JH was a pussy cat to real horseman, he bit the shit out of my arm. It was my fault and no more whispering was the lesson he was handing out. He was a grouchy sort. Kudos to Ron McAnally for keeping this guy going. I think JH won races just because he hated any other horse trying to steal his thunder. :lol: I guess I got his autograph.

classhandicapper
05-11-2012, 02:49 PM
I don't see Rachel on that list. That was probably an all time top 10 campaign for fillies and mares, but not all time open.

Some of her races were against weak 3YO fillies, the 3YO colt crop was not that strong (Mine that Bird Preakness?) and the Woodward field she beat was weak. It's amazing that a 3YO filly did it, but not a colt or gelding.

andtheyreoff
05-11-2012, 10:11 PM
I don't see Rachel on that list. That was probably an all time top 10 campaign for fillies and mares, but not all time open.

Some of her races were against weak 3YO fillies, the 3YO colt crop was not that strong (Mine that Bird Preakness?) and the Woodward field she beat was weak. It's amazing that a 3YO filly did it, but not a colt or gelding.

"probably" in the top 10 for females?

Methinks you're a bit lost here.

IMO, without all the microanalyzation that her career got on the internet, Rachel is DEFINITELY in the top 10 in campaigns. I am sure that if people went this in depth with other horses, we could find flaws with their seasons ("Damascus won the Travers by 22 lengths? Against who? Reason To Hail and Tumiga and one other horse? Gimme a break!"). She did something that had been seen few times in racing history before, and in all likelihood will never be seen again. Top 10 easy.

In response to other comments, John Henry 1981 and Cigar 1995 were very close to making the list. Holy Bull 1994 was one I would not have considered; he too I would place in the top 15.

Tom Fool 1953 was one I had originally in my top 10, but later dropped him, because he beat literally no one in the second half of his season. In his last four starts, he defeated five different horses, all in exhibition races. No thanks.

appistappis
05-12-2012, 01:31 AM
Secretariat June 9th, 1973

best year ever in 2 24 flat.

tucker6
05-12-2012, 07:34 AM
Secretariat June 9th, 1973

best year ever in 2 24 flat.
Red is my favorite, but a year is not made with one race no matter how good it was. Can a case be made for him even with 3 losses? Yeah. Does it hurt him that others went undefeated in a year and had incredible feats? yeah. We can all come up with 15 horses that had great campaigns, so much of this is personal preference mixed in.

FenceBored
05-12-2012, 08:45 AM
Red is my favorite, but a year is not made with one race no matter how good it was. Can a case be made for him even with 3 losses? Yeah. Does it hurt him that others went undefeated in a year and had incredible feats? yeah. We can all come up with 15 horses that had great campaigns, so much of this is personal preference mixed in.

Let's take the extraneous information out and just leave the name, year, and record from andtheyreoff's list. I'll had the number of losses.

10. Forego, 1974, 13-8-2-2 (5 losses)
9. Round Table, 1958, 20-14-4-0 (6 losses)
8. Busher, 1945, 13-10-2-1 (3 losses)
7. Damascus, 1967, 16-12-3-1 (4 losses)
6. Rachel Alexandra, 2009, 8-8-0-0 (undefeated)
5. Kelso, 1963, 12-9-2-0 (3 losses)
4. Buckpasser, 1966, 14-13-1-0 (1 loss)
3. Spectacular Bid, 1980, 9-9-0-0 (undefeated)
2. Dr. Fager, 1968, 8-7-1-0 (1 loss)
1. Citation, 1948, 20-19-1-0 (1 loss)

You're arguing that Secretariat's 1973 campaign doesn't deserve to make the top 10 because he lost 3 times when half the list has 3 or more losses? :confused:

classhandicapper
05-12-2012, 10:29 AM
"probably" in the top 10 for females?

Methinks you're a bit lost here.

IMO, without all the microanalyzation that her career got on the internet, Rachel is DEFINITELY in the top 10 in campaigns. I am sure that if people went this in depth with other horses, we could find flaws with their seasons ("Damascus won the Travers by 22 lengths? Against who? Reason To Hail and Tumiga and one other horse? Gimme a break!"). She did something that had been seen few times in racing history before, and in all likelihood will never be seen again. Top 10 easy.

In response to other comments, John Henry 1981 and Cigar 1995 were very close to making the list. Holy Bull 1994 was one I would not have considered; he too I would place in the top 15.

Tom Fool 1953 was one I had originally in my top 10, but later dropped him, because he beat literally no one in the second half of his season. In his last four starts, he defeated five different horses, all in exhibition races. No thanks.

Are you saying she DEFINITELY belongs top 10 all time?

If we are grading on a curve and saying her campaign relative to the typical top filly or mare was better by a larger amount than some of the great colts and geldings, I would agree.

That's like saying some of Martina Navratilova's best years were better than Roger Federer's best years.

But purely on accomplishment and ability, no way.

It was the best campaign by a 3YO filly I've seen in 35 years and among the greatest all time for fillies and mares.

When you start going further back in time and including colts and geldings, there are dozens of horses that would have buried her (especially at Classic distances) that had great years running almost entirely against Grade 1 males. She does not even compare.