PDA

View Full Version : Is Racetrack Television Network available to Dish Network residential customers?

PiquetBT52
05-09-2012, 06:29 PM
Sorry if I am asking a recent, already asked question. I just switched over to Dish Network in anticipation of getting RTN as an option. I wanted to wait until I checked out HRTV (in case that may have met my needs). Ugh, wish I hadn't waited. I was out in the cold on getting a bet at Arlington in today, as HRTV decided not to show the odds for that race until 1 MTP (I use a phone account through a local Vegas racebook). Having seen the RTN commercials on HRTV I called Dish, and of course got directed to a guy who I had to tell three (yes three) times, "No I don't want ROOT Sports, I want RTN." Eventually he told me the reason I could not get RTN was that I am not a commercial customer. I found a thread on this site that mentioned that, but it was from some time ago, and it seems like that particular thread dealt more with a delay in getting the service up and running. I went to RTN's website (which someone here says they update every two years) and called the number. That was a few hours ago. Left a message, and no call back. When I log into my Dish Network account online, RTN is not shown as a programming option. What gives? Does anyone here (a residential customer) have RTN anymore? And, if so, do you live in the Las Vegas Valley? Thanks much, Louye.

mannyberrios
05-09-2012, 06:51 PM
Call again! The guy didn't know what he was talking about.

David-LV
05-09-2012, 07:01 PM
CALL THEM BACK:

RTN® IS NOW AVAILABLE ON DISH NETWORK®

You can now watch all your favorite RTN horse racing on DISH Network® channels 9701 - 9785. You can set up service directly through DISH Network® or one of their retailers. The rate is $50/month. You do not need to subscribe to DISH Network® programming to sign up for the RTN channels. However, equipment and installation costs are subject to subscribing to “qualified DISH Programming.”

_________
David-LV

PiquetBT52
05-09-2012, 07:26 PM
I called back and got through to someone who at least had a supervisor that may know what they are talking about. They said that I need another dish to get the satellite that has the RTN signals. When I was on hold I searched out a bit more online, and found that these signals may be on the same satellite as the international packages. That site said that the upgrade (to international) would carry a $100 charge for another antenna (the same amount that the Dish guy said I would have to pay for an antenna to get RTN). A bit of complaining about the charge got the charge lowered to $50 after another on hold period. My problem now is in dealing with my HOA. Does this sound right to you guys and gals who have RTN, did you need to get an additional dish?

David-LV
05-09-2012, 07:38 PM
I called back and got through to someone who at least had a supervisor that may know what they are talking about. They said that I need another dish to get the satellite that has the RTN signals. When I was on hold I searched out a bit more online, and found that these signals may be on the same satellite as the international packages. That site said that the upgrade (to international) would carry a $100 charge for another antenna (the same amount that the Dish guy said I would have to pay for an antenna to get RTN). A bit of complaining about the charge got the charge lowered to $50 after another on hold period. My problem now is in dealing with my HOA. Does this sound right to you guys and gals who have RTN, did you need to get an additional dish?

You will not need an additional dish, they will replace the one you have and change the LNB in the center of the dish.
Your HOA will not know the difference as the two different dishes are almost the same size.

_________
David-LV

Dave Schwartz
05-09-2012, 07:40 PM
I am a residential dish net customer. As I recall, there was a "special" dish necessary. However, there was no extra charge for it, at least not at the original installation.

The guy to talk to on here about this is SPAAH. he has serious history with them and guided me well in choosing tuners, etc.

Regards,
Dave Schwartz

PiquetBT52
05-09-2012, 07:57 PM
Mr. Schwartz: how do I get a hold of this fellow Spaah(?)

Dave-LV: Is this a dish that is about 32" inches across? If so, do you know what it is called? For example, Dish 1000+. I believe mine to be a Dish 1000.2 (learning this junk is upsetting me, I was gonna play Woodbine today :~P).

Lasix67
05-09-2012, 09:04 PM
yes I am a residential customer and yes I have RTN. You are correct that the new website does not have anything on it about RTN, but you will have to and find a operator that knows what the hell they are talking about (Good luck on this one) as their CSR's are idiots for the most part, but yes you can get it for about $50 a month as a resident.

Dave Schwartz
05-09-2012, 09:14 PM
There is an old thread on here about RTN. Lots of posts. I believe his name is actually "The Spaah."

Really knows the equipment.

Dave

PS: I sent him a PM pointing him to this thread.

Steve 'StatMan'
05-09-2012, 09:34 PM
Ah! Now I understand his user name! There is no space (thespaah) but he means "the spaah" as in Saratoga! With no space, I thought he was an actor (tought it was a play on 'thesbian') I'm a fairly smart guy, but when I'm off, I'm WAY OFF! Oh my. :blush:

thespaah
05-09-2012, 09:51 PM
Sorry if I am asking a recent, already asked question. I just switched over to Dish Network in anticipation of getting RTN as an option. I wanted to wait until I checked out HRTV (in case that may have met my needs). Ugh, wish I hadn't waited. I was out in the cold on getting a bet at Arlington in today, as HRTV decided not to show the odds for that race until 1 MTP (I use a phone account through a local Vegas racebook). Having seen the RTN commercials on HRTV I called Dish, and of course got directed to a guy who I had to tell three (yes three) times, "No I don't want ROOT Sports, I want RTN." Eventually he told me the reason I could not get RTN was that I am not a commercial customer. I found a thread on this site that mentioned that, but it was from some time ago, and it seems like that particular thread dealt more with a delay in getting the service up and running. I went to RTN's website (which someone here says they update every two years) and called the number. That was a few hours ago. Left a message, and no call back. When I log into my Dish Network account online, RTN is not shown as a programming option. What gives? Does anyone here (a residential customer) have RTN anymore? And, if so, do you live in the Las Vegas Valley? Thanks much, Louye.
Dave Schwartz PM'd me to click on this link. I am a former full time Dish Network tech.
The CSR was 100% incorrect.
That's of course unless Dish has made a radical policy change to which I am not aware.
Let me do some checking.

thespaah
05-09-2012, 09:56 PM
That depends on the type pof Dish you have right now.
The RTN signal is bounced off the 118.7 orbital slot which requires a Dish 1000 plus ( or 500 plus if you are not a Hi def customer). Most customers DO NOT have this particular type antenna.
Ahh your HOA...If you are going to have ONE antenna, you are in the clear.
If this is a second antenna, OTARD( rules set by the FCC protecting satellite tv reception) are a bit foggy.

thespaah
05-09-2012, 09:58 PM
It is a reference to Saratoga.
Each day of the meet, before the races Tom Durkin goes through all the changes. At the conclusion of this he greets the fans and wishes them an enjoyable day "at The Spaaaaaaah"....So I just shortened it up a bit.

thespaah
05-09-2012, 10:01 PM
Yep...It's a 1000 plus... As I dig into this thread, you are in good shape.
The Dish 1000 plus is indeed larger. About .80 meters across. It's a heavy sucker too.
Anyway, to prepare you for the type of changes you may see to your current setup, please tell me which model receivers you have and how many.
I will explain further once I see this info.

PiquetBT52
05-09-2012, 10:49 PM
I am not able to access any model numbers this moment, but I recently got the whole home Hopper DVR, and have two more receivers. One in each of my kids bedrooms (I think the receivers in those rooms are called Joeys)

thespaah
05-09-2012, 11:17 PM
CRAP!!!! The Hopper/Joey combos are not compatible with the switch required for signal reception with the 1000 Plus antenna.
Ever since these things( Hopper/Joey) came out I have read all kinds of comments not flattering to them.
I wish I had better news for you.
You could trade in your Hopper /Joey for "VIP" equipment, switch to the 1000 plus antenna and everybody would be happy. Or you may be looking at getting a second antenna and a separate receiver JUST for the RTN service. I would not worry about the HOA, As long as the dish is not in view from the street, the HOA busy bodies will never know it is there.
AT this point, check your covenants to see if there is any kind of mention on satellite antennas. See if there is any mention of the NUMBER of satellite antennas that can be erected on a property. Remember, the covenants are a LIMITING document. In other words, the covenants are more or less guidance for the property owners AND the HOA as well.
Covenants state what the property owners CANNOT do. The covenants also state what the HOA MAY do. So if the covenants do not address the number of antennas per property, the HOA MAY NOT on it's own make an arbitrary decision to single out one homeowner and prohibit multiple antennas.
Simply put, an HOA board cannot make up it's own rules as they go.

PiquetBT52
05-09-2012, 11:43 PM
Thanks for all your help. I just had this stuff installed a couple of weeks ago. Perhaps I can still get a change out from the guys who put it in.

Dave Schwartz
05-09-2012, 11:47 PM
Did I tell you? Is this guy good or what?

PiquetBT52
05-10-2012, 01:52 AM
Yes sir Mr. Dave! Now, if I can just get the installers to change out my Dish equipment........and find some way to get Arlington to pay me on that $17.60 winner HRTV messed me out of, it'll be one heck of a Thursday! :D :10:

Track Collector
05-10-2012, 12:45 PM
I think you will be really pleased with RTN.

I'm now about 18 months in to having RTN, and my enjoyment level is still almost as high as the first day it was activated. :jump:

One very real danger.........do not get in to the habit of playing races just because they are there. Too much "casual" or "just for fun" betting is a sure way to lose a lot of money, and adds up much quicker than one would expect. :mad:

PiquetBT52
05-10-2012, 01:42 PM
I do appreciate that one. I live in the home of "too frequent" betting (Las Vegas Valley). My wife thinks I pick a lot of good horses, but I tell her the secret is not picking winners, but not betting the bad ones......and 96% of 'em are bad, my best skill is not betting. Given my situation (betting on a phone account), this will help me in not betting, because the opportunities will be more plentiful. I can wait.

thespaah
05-10-2012, 05:57 PM
Ok..Have some good news for you!!!
The Dish 1000 Plus IS compatible with the Hopper Joey system.
Since I left the business, I have been keeping up with the newer equipment as I occasionally will do jobs privately.
DIsh has introduced a Dish 1000 Plus antenna with a new LNB array that eliminates the use of the switch. The switching capability is integrated into the LNB.
With that in mind, you may now call Dish to get a Dish 1000 plus antenna installed with your existing equipment!
Please keep me informed as to how you made out with this.
I am going to upgrade my equipment soon and add RTN.

Zydeco
05-10-2012, 06:48 PM
thespaaah, you are the man...you've got me thinking about switching to dish for RTN

thespaah
05-10-2012, 06:55 PM
Thanks for the kudos, Dave!

Dave Schwartz
05-10-2012, 09:06 PM
Spaah,

You are more than welcome. I just remember that you caused my installation to go flawlessly, mostly because I was completely confident that I was getting the right equipment.

Dave

thespaah
05-10-2012, 10:19 PM
Spaah,

You are more than welcome. I just remember that you caused my installation to go flawlessly, mostly because I was completely confident that I was getting the right equipment.

Dave
Gotta love those testimonials!!!!!

magwell
05-10-2012, 10:32 PM
Ive had it now a month and its off the charts, the best.......no more commercials and no more clowns {what a pleasure}.... pulse you get to see the horses..... cant beat it, worth way more than the price they charge.......:cool:

jdhanover
05-11-2012, 12:22 AM
So this thread now means I have to figure out what I have...I know I have two receivers (both just upgraded to newer models)...one is 300 series i think, the DVR one is 700-something. A task for this weekend....

BIG49010
05-11-2012, 01:44 PM
If you have the 722 DVR your all set, works great with RTN

jdhanover
05-11-2012, 01:50 PM
Thats the model - of course it is downstairs and I want it upstairs...but can sort that out. 2d tv on that rcvr is in the basement for my son.....but I will trump him!

Does it work with the same dish that the 722 is hooked to? If so, then all I need ot do is have them add the programming?

QuarterCrack
05-11-2012, 02:12 PM
Has anyone heard any updates about the upcoming online version of RTN?

I live in an apartment building and can't get Dish Network, so an online RTN would be my only chance, assuming it is open to more than just present suscribers.

thespaah
05-11-2012, 08:28 PM
So this thread now means I have to figure out what I have...I know I have two receivers (both just upgraded to newer models)...one is 300 series i think, the DVR one is 700-something. A task for this weekend....
The model number is displayed on the front panel. Or with your remote....Press "menu" then "6" then "1" then "3"...This takes you the "system info" screen.
This screen will tell you which model you have.
More than likely you have a 311( single tuner) And a 722k (Dual tuner DVR)
If you have a 311, that box will not process the signal for RTN. If that's the case, you'll need a 211 or 211k. PM me if you have questions

thespaah
05-11-2012, 08:30 PM
Has anyone heard any updates about the upcoming online version of RTN?

I live in an apartment building and can't get Dish Network, so an online RTN would be my only chance, assuming it is open to more than just present suscribers.
Here's the link....http://www.rtn.tv/news.aspx
Looks like there has been no progress made with the mobile app or an on line version.

thespaah
05-11-2012, 09:08 PM
Thats the model - of course it is downstairs and I want it upstairs...but can sort that out. 2d tv on that rcvr is in the basement for my son.....but I will trump him!

Does it work with the same dish that the 722 is hooked to? If so, then all I need ot do is have them add the programming?
You will need to have the Dish 1000 plus antenna installed in order to receive the signals from RTN. Those signals come from a satellite that is mainly for international services. Due to space limits RTN was placed on that bird as well.

jdhanover
05-11-2012, 09:43 PM
You will need to have the Dish 1000 plus antenna installed in order to receive the signals from RTN. Those signals come from a satellite that is mainly for international services. Due to space limits RTN was placed on that bird as well.

Ah, thx...if/when i decide to get RTN I will PM you Thx for all the info

BreadandButter
05-12-2012, 02:23 AM
Ever since these things( Hopper/Joey) came out I have read all kinds of comments not flattering to them.

Hello thespaah - I realize in a later post you said that the hopper/joeys will indeed work with the Rtn package. I currently have Rtn with 722k, 622, etc. I was looking to upgrade to the hopper and joeys for increased drive space and additional tvs with true hd programming for the other programming outside of Rtn. This would also result in lowering my monthly bill slightly as well. If you could elaborate on anything you've heard about these new devices it would be appreciated. Thanks

thespaah
05-12-2012, 09:51 PM
Based on what I have read about the hopper joey system, you should keep what you have.
A list of "cons"
You have 4 tv's connected now.
Hopper has just THREE tuners. So to go to 4 tv's you will need TWO Hoppers and two joeys....The cost of an additional Hopper is $99.
Fees....One Hopper with two joeys for tv's one two and three..Second hopper for 4th tv. Remember, with one hopper, you can go to just THREE tv's
Each Hopper is $17 per month. Each Joey is $7 per month....For what you need. it's $48 per month. That's BEFORE you get to your programing.
Right now your first DVR has no fee. The 622 is $17 per month.
DVR storage.....Not so fast. Hopper has a 1TB Hard drive. But only 500 GB is actually available for use.
You are much better off enabling the USB port on your 722 and hooking up an External hard drive. The enabling fee is a one time $39.
Lastly..As with cars, electronics tend to have bugs in them. Let it go for a year or so before getting ANY new satellite equipment. New model Dish receivers are notoriously buggy. Some they get fixed. Some the never get fixed.
Examples.....the first HDDVR. the 921 was a boat anchor. The 721, a single tuner DVR that lasted less than a year. The 612, a dual tuner DVR that connects to ONE tv...They disabled the picture in picture feature...This box still has problems. And the 922. This is a dual tuner DVR with a one TB drive. But inexplicably ,Dish never ( as promised) activated the second tuner. Also, this box cam with NO option for an over the air antenna connection.
Wth these things in mind. You currently own two of Dish's most reliable boxes. You should keep them. Or if you must, upgrade the 622 to a 722k.

nomadpat
05-13-2012, 02:18 PM
Just got RTN installed this morning. How nice to watch whatever races I want without worrying about missing live races and post parades. No commercials, pick 4 tickets, etc. Should have done this sooner :)

magwell
05-13-2012, 05:40 PM
Just got RTN installed this morning. How nice to watch whatever races I want without worrying about missing live races and post parades. No commercials, pick 4 tickets, etc. Should have done this sooner :) Yep ....Before RTN I was just camping out, if your serious about this game it's a must, although you can still watch the live feed other ways, its great on the big screen. :cool:

Dave Schwartz
05-13-2012, 05:55 PM
What I like is that I can set up my three TVs on different channels, including a 2nd with the "recall" button. Thus, I can easily watch 6 tracks.

I enjoyed RTN so much that I added a place in my software for the channel code of each track. (It rarely changes for most tracks.)

Dave

thespaah
05-13-2012, 07:06 PM
What I like is that I can set up my three TVs on different channels, including a 2nd with the "recall" button. Thus, I can easily watch 6 tracks.

I enjoyed RTN so much that I added a place in my software for the channel code of each track. (It rarely changes for most tracks.)

Dave
Ahh, The recall button.....During my tenure as a satellite tech, I would of course demonstrate the use of the equipment to new customers. I referred to the recall feature as "the man button"...Allows us to watch two things at a time.

thespaah
05-13-2012, 07:12 PM
Hello thespaah - I realize in a later post you said that the hopper/joeys will indeed work with the Rtn package. I currently have Rtn with 722k, 622, etc. I was looking to upgrade to the hopper and joeys for increased drive space and additional tvs with true hd programming for the other programming outside of Rtn. This would also result in lowering my monthly bill slightly as well. If you could elaborate on anything you've heard about these new devices it would be appreciated. Thanks
One other thing I neglected to point out.
With the Hopper/Joey system, the user has three tuners. Those are located in the Hopper ONLY. With that in mind, if the Hopper fails, you will have NO TV reception until the problem is solved. Granted, Dish has a better, more reactive policy toward service calls, the fact that if the Hopper goes out, you're out.
Few customers know nor are told by Dish that the Joeys are not receivers at all. Those boxes are simply designed to communicate with the Hopper( for DVR use) and to change channels. Joeys do not have tuners.

parkedout97
03-10-2013, 10:36 AM
Has anyone that has RTN on Dish Network been able to subscribe to only RTN and nothing else?

When I first signed up they made me subscribe to the "Welcome Pack" which is a bunch of useless channels to me and it is now up to $20/month. I would like to get rid of this if possible and only have the $50/month charge for RTN.

I do own my equipment and installed it myself so there is no lease issue.

Thanks,
Tim

Lasix67
03-10-2013, 01:59 PM
I believe you have to subscribe to some type of package to get RTN a la carte. I may be wrong and good luck getting someone in customer service to answer that question. You can try to go online and just order RTN under my programming and see if it takes it. I only wish RTN would lower the cost to like $25 a month.

Dave Schwartz
03-10-2013, 06:05 PM
I only wish RTN would lower the cost to like $25 a month.

:lol:

Why not $14 per month? Or $5?

Truthfully, at $50 per month it is probably the best sports package anywhere. The service is top notch and I (knock on wood) never have an outage that is not easily fixed with a reset.

However, the truth is that to use it effectively you need multiple tuners and TVs. My package (just for RTN) actually costs me around $117 per month now.

It is still worth every penny.

magwell
03-10-2013, 06:31 PM
Its a bargain at 50 bucks, just not to hear the clowns on tvg and hrtv and the commercials all day........;)

Lasix67
03-12-2013, 04:49 PM
Isn't that the truth...

usedtolovetvg
03-12-2013, 05:53 PM
Almost all the tracks are now available via streaming through the computer. If you have a decent computer and high speed i'net connection the picture is pretty good. Computers these days can easily be hooked up to your TV. Of course, if the 600 bucks a year is not an issue than RTN is the way to go. There is a latency issue through the computer but I bet early enough so that it doesn't affect me.

Lasix67
03-13-2013, 05:48 PM
It sure is nice to just flick the channel or have several tv's hooked up to a couple of tuners to watch multiple tracks.

thespaah
03-13-2013, 06:56 PM
It sure is nice to just flick the channel or have several tv's hooked up to a couple of tuners to watch multiple tracks.
There is nothing stopping anyone from placing two dual tuner receivers in one location.this would enable 4 tvs in one location. The cabling is all that's needed

Dave Schwartz
03-13-2013, 07:11 PM
There is nothing stopping anyone from placing two dual tuner receivers in one location.this would enable 4 tvs in one location. The cabling is all that's needed

That is what I have: 2 dual tuners, 4 TVs, 4 dang remotes.

Actually 8 remotes, 4 to control the sound on the TVs.

thespaah
03-13-2013, 11:12 PM
That is what I have: 2 dual tuners, 4 TVs, 4 dang remotes.

Actually 8 remotes, 4 to control the sound on the TVs.
What brand are your tv's. There are codes which you can enter so that the Dish remotes can operate power and volume functions on the tv's.
Here's how....For example. Sony tv's respond to code 500...Press and hold the TV button at the top of the remote, when all of the buttons flash, release the button. The TV button will flash repeatedly. Enter 500( code for Sony tv for example) then press the # key at the lower right of the remote. Press the TV power button. If the tv turns OFF the code is set.
Here are some codes for the most popular brands..
Sony 500
RCA 503
Sanyo 590
Samsung...730 I think this one works for most of these TV's
Vizio 766
Sharp 605
Mitsubishi 504
JVC 557
Phillips 566
Toshiba 617
Let me know if I can help with anything else.

Dave Schwartz
03-14-2013, 02:36 AM
The problem is that all the TVs are the same and the remotes are all on the same frequency. Thus, if I click mute it mutes them all.

I literally have to control the TVs with a single remote (instead of the 4) and put a toilet paper roll over the end to allow me to focus on turning sound on/off for just 1 TV. I point to the TV I wish to change.

Apparently, there is a solution to the problem but it demands a lot of work and money to make it go.

thespaah
03-15-2013, 12:31 AM
The problem is that all the TVs are the same and the remotes are all on the same frequency. Thus, if I click mute it mutes them all.

I literally have to control the TVs with a single remote (instead of the 4) and put a toilet paper roll over the end to allow me to focus on turning sound on/off for just 1 TV. I point to the TV I wish to change.

Apparently, there is a solution to the problem but it demands a lot of work and money to make it go.
Same brand of tv's...OUCH..
The only thing I can suggest is a Harmony or similar type remote which will allow the programming of multiple compenents..
Here's a link to a company from which I have purchased electronics.
http://www.crutchfield.com/App/ContactUs.aspx
Give them a call and explain your system. Perhaps they can help you.
Also...try www.tigerdirect.com

Dave Schwartz
03-15-2013, 10:58 AM
Because the TVs are small and all within arm's reach it isn't that big a deal. The toilet paper roll on the end of the remote focuses the beam and allows me to reach over and point to the TV I want to change.

LOL - My bigger challenge is remembering where the mute button is.

PaceAdvantage
03-15-2013, 11:11 AM
The toilet paper roll on the end of the remote focuses the beam and allows me to reach over and point to the TV I want to change.Did I really just read that, or did I hallucinate it? :lol:

If not a hallucination, then next up, I am in dire need of a visual...please Dave, indulge us with a snapshot of your remote control beam focuser! ;)

thespaah
03-15-2013, 01:00 PM
Did I really just read that, or did I hallucinate it?

If not a hallucination, then next up, I am in dire need of a visual...please Dave, indulge us with a snapshot of your remote control beam focuser! ;) :lol:

Dave Schwartz
03-15-2013, 01:21 PM
Well, I don't know... Maybe I should try to get a patent going first.

http://www.horsestreet.com/BBSImages/BeamFocus.JPG

usedtolovetvg
03-15-2013, 08:54 PM
Well, I don't know... Maybe I should try to get a patent going first.

http://www.horsestreet.com/BBSImages/BeamFocus.JPG

That is terrific! At the very least take to The Shark Tank. Mark Cuban might give you $75,000 for 36% interest in the company.