PDA

View Full Version : Worst case scenario; futures bets on IHA @ 200-1

Grits
05-09-2012, 12:19 PM
http://m.lasvegassun.com/news/2012/may/07/kentucky-derby-winner-ill-have-another-las-vegas/

The majority of Lucky’s exposure on I’ll Have Another came in a span of minutes earlier this year. On one day in early February, Lucky’s printed a flood of tickets on the horse at Buffalo Bill’s in Primm.

Shapiro said the book lowered the odds from 200-to-1 four times during the onslaught, but the money kept coming. He could only think of one conceivable explanation to explain the phenomenon: Everyone who worked in I’ll Have Another’s barn wagered on the horse that day.

“It’s not uncommon for them to bet on their horses,” Shapiro said. “Everyone seems to like their horse when they are training. They want to get down on their horse.”

Less than a week after all the bets came in, I’ll Have Another won a stakes race at Santa Anita Park in Arcadia, Calif. The track is only 200 miles from the Nevada border where Buffalo Bill’s rests.

maddog42
05-09-2012, 01:08 PM
Good article. Connections thought well of this horse. The exacta seemed a little light($306) for a 20 horse field. Now I know why.

depalma113
05-09-2012, 10:18 PM
The exacta was light because of the second place horse. The 4,6,8,15 were hammered under every horse.

horses4courses
05-10-2012, 09:00 AM
Would have liked to hear a $ figure mentioned on their exposure.

Wynn's in LV, I'm sure, would give you the odds to win $50-100k before they dropped the price.
Lucky's? I have no idea.

I'm thinking $100 to win $20k might have gotten it down to 150-1.
There's no way I see a bunch of stablehands clutching fistfuls of $100 bills getting all their bets down @ 200-1.

Mr. Shapiro knows well that you can't lay a horse to lose a big six figure sum (or maybe even more) with no chance of having enough volume on other horses to cut into your risk.
If he did get his clock cleaned, he deserved it..... ;)