PDA

View Full Version : Derby winning trainer cheating again

cj
05-09-2012, 12:49 AM
http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/more-sports/kentucky-derby-winning-trainer-doug-o-neill-face-suspension-total-carbon-dioxide-violation-article-1.1074154

Greyfox
05-09-2012, 01:46 AM
http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/more-sports/kentucky-derby-winning-trainer-doug-o-neill-face-suspension-total-carbon-dioxide-violation-article-1.1074154

The "boyz" at our O.T.B. call him "Drug O'Neill."

redshift1
05-09-2012, 02:50 AM
But wait there's more.

http://www.metnews.com/articles/2009/brow082509.htm

turninforhome10
05-09-2012, 02:57 AM
The perfect storm
Pending Congressional Hearings
Scandal in NY
Legislators ready to rob all the slot money
Terrible Press already
Murder at the Derby
and now this
It just really saddens me. These great horses are doing everything they can to try and a build a fan base and their humans are just s**t poor mangers of the product.

Maybe the IRS will step in and mange the horse like Devil His Due

jasperson
05-09-2012, 05:54 AM
What ever he is doing it doesn't seem to be working for him!:lol:

rrpic6
05-09-2012, 06:20 AM
But wait there's more.

http://www.metnews.com/articles/2009/brow082509.htm

So if I see Reddam at the track and borrow $20 from him, he wants $50 back? His next horse will be named "Give Him Another", as in a broken leg for not being able to pay this loan shark.

RR

Kevroc
05-09-2012, 06:39 AM
I know the article says "enhance performance" but, I thought milkshaking was to get the runners back to the races quicker, not necessarily to run better. I may need to go back to the PPs of the ones he got busted for. To see their patterns.. i.e. possible reasons not to put them on the shelf. (freshened)

Greyfox
05-09-2012, 10:11 AM
I know the article says "enhance performance" but, I thought milkshaking was to get the runners back to the races quicker, not necessarily to run better.

Presumably a "milkshake" containing sodium bicarbonate delays the build up of lactic acid in a horse's muscles and allows it to carry on farther and faster.
Not all biochemists and vets agree as to whether or not it really works, but the practice is banned in many jurisdictions.

FenceBored
05-09-2012, 10:43 AM
I Won the Derby
(to the tune of I Shot the Sheriff)

SXmhyc_QynE

I won the Derby, but I didn’t dose no claiming horse
Oh no no
Woo oo oo

All around in Southern Cal
They’re trying to drag me down
They say they want to racing rules enforce
For the milkshake of a claiming horse
For dosing a claiming horse.
But, I say

I won the Derby, and for that I need not make defense
I won the Derby, and I did it from near the outer fence

CHRB always hated me, for what I don’t know
Every time that I start a horse
They say, “test it, how ’er it go”
They say, “test them, how ’er they go”
But, I say

Glee sure came my way Derb' Day
When I started out of town
All of a sudden I saw I’ll Have Another
Aiming to run them down
Yes he ran, he ran them down
And I say … if I am guilty I will pay

The Preakness is now next up for me
And what is to be, must be
Every day the Board fights my lawsuit
But one day the real truth will come out
Yes, one day the real truth will come out
But I say

turninforhome10
05-09-2012, 10:57 AM
You are awesome. My gut is hurting. Very funny stuff and thanks for sharing. :lol:

Rapid Grey
05-09-2012, 11:25 AM
Will O'Neil get a Whitehouse visit? Didn't think it mattered how you won anymore, as long as you won.

Greyfox
05-09-2012, 01:22 PM
The current charge of O'Neill has been hanging over his head since 2010.

Why is this New York newspaper bringing it up at this time?

Why hasn't the CHRB dealt with it long before now?

melman
05-09-2012, 01:34 PM
When I saw the thread title I thought this would be about Richard Dutrow. But I guess that's old news. :)

Grits
05-09-2012, 01:37 PM
It may be due in part to the fact that he's filed suit against CHRB for this charge.

The current charge of O'Neill has been hanging over his head since 2010.

Why is this New York newspaper bringing it up at this time?

Why hasn't the CHRB dealt with it long before now?

Greyfox
05-09-2012, 01:38 PM
It may be due in part to the fact that he's filed suit against CHRB for this charge.
He filed that suit a year ago.

What's the media's motivation for bringing it up now?

Grits
05-09-2012, 01:40 PM
He filed that suit a year ago.

What's the media's motivation for bringing it up now?

C'mon Grey. I think they call it "piling on." :lol:

Greyfox
05-09-2012, 01:49 PM
C'mon Grey. I think they call it "piling on." :lol:

Indeed it is.
But the fact that the C.H.R.B. did not deal with this latest case with more efficacy is the type of thing that gives ammo to mudslinging newspaper types to knock racing.
Certainly, it casts a small shadow over I'll Have Another's performance, and his connection's enjoyment of it.
In the meanwhile it reinforces a negative public perception of the game in general.

JustRalph
05-09-2012, 03:11 PM
This is why after the Derby I posted it was a disgrace he won.

Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if the Derby results come back bad............

FenceBored
05-09-2012, 03:37 PM
This is why after the Derby I posted it was a disgrace he won.

Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if the Derby results come back bad............

Well, according to ezpace (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=93044) that's not something you need worry about.

LRL Racing
05-09-2012, 09:27 PM
I read it that the CHRB put the story out. With DO winning the Derby it's news. Said they would wait until after the Triple Crown.

Tom
05-09-2012, 09:40 PM
When I saw the thread title I thought this would be about Richard Dutrow. But I guess that's old news. :)

No, they banned him for 10 years.
Oh wait, they were just kidding.
Never mind.

nijinski
05-09-2012, 10:35 PM
Wonder if Joe Drape will do a piece on this. He happened to pick "I'll Have Another" to come in last place . He did much better last year.

thespaah
05-09-2012, 10:54 PM
The writer or editor was sitting on the story in the hopes O'Neill would win a one of the TC events...Typical garbage 'journalism'..
What this story does, with regard to the timing, is call into question the integrity of "New York's Picture Newspaper"..
Unfortunately this is the state of print journalism in the US. Newspapers are seeing circulation numbers plummet and ad dollars vanishing like a fart in the wind.
Editors believe this kind of crap brings in readers. Nonsense.
Now, I am not defending O'Neill( should he have committed these offenses)..My point is to discuss the crappy editing of the NY Daily News.

cj
05-09-2012, 11:16 PM
I read it that the CHRB put the story out. With DO winning the Derby it's news. Said they would wait until after the Triple Crown.

It could be worse. They could have detailed what has happened to the cheap claimers he dumped off at Los Al.

castaway01
05-10-2012, 07:12 AM
The writer or editor was sitting on the story in the hopes O'Neill would win a one of the TC events...Typical garbage 'journalism'..
What this story does, with regard to the timing, is call into question the integrity of "New York's Picture Newspaper"..
Unfortunately this is the state of print journalism in the US. Newspapers are seeing circulation numbers plummet and ad dollars vanishing like a fart in the wind.
Editors believe this kind of crap brings in readers. Nonsense.
Now, I am not defending O'Neill( should he have committed these offenses)..My point is to discuss the crappy editing of the NY Daily News.

Claiming the story is garbage and crap is defending O'Neill, isn't it?
Drug O'Neill winning the Derby is another in a long line of black eyes for the sport.

JustRalph
05-10-2012, 09:55 AM
Drug O'Neill winning the Derby is another in a long line of black eyes for the sport.

Just as bad as Dutrow, and nobody seems to notice

BetCrazyGirl
05-10-2012, 11:05 AM
I know the article says "enhance performance" but, I thought milkshaking was to get the runners back to the races quicker, not necessarily to run better. I may need to go back to the PPs of the ones he got busted for. To see their patterns.. i.e. possible reasons not to put them on the shelf. (freshened)

Its what Greyfox said. Steroids are used to get the muscles to heal faster and get them on the track faster.

Greyfox
05-10-2012, 12:57 PM
Its what Greyfox said. Steroids are used to get the muscles to heal faster and get them on the track faster.

Sorry BetCrazyGirl....I never said anything about steroids in this thread. Someone else maybe.
I said that milkshaking was supposedly used to counter lactic acid build up in muscles during a race allowing the horse to maintain stride farther. Whether or not it works has been questioned by biochemists who know more about exercise physiology that I do.

BetCrazyGirl
05-10-2012, 02:34 PM
Sorry BetCrazyGirl....I never said anything about steroids in this thread. Someone else maybe.
I said that milkshaking was supposedly used to counter lactic acid build up in muscles during a race allowing the horse to maintain stride farther. Whether or not it works has been questioned by biochemists who know more about exercise physiology that I do.

I'm sorry, I have phrased that bad. I was meaning what you said about the milkshake was correct to the person asking about the milkshake and added about steroids on my own.

thespaah
05-10-2012, 06:51 PM
C'mon dude.. Please read the ENTIRE post before your knee jerks and plasters you in the jaw.
I was commenting on the timing of the story. Not the content. Jesus Christ!!!!!
To answer your question...NO. It isn't.

Kevroc
05-11-2012, 03:43 AM
Thanks for clearing that up for me Fox and BCG, ya learn something everyday. :ThmbUp:

David-LV
05-11-2012, 08:24 AM
As newspapers go down the drain they will do anything to find a story no matter how old the story is.

Grits
05-11-2012, 09:44 AM
After swearing on his kid's eyes; sure hope he doesn't lose his case.

`I swear on my kids' eyes I never milkshaked a horse,'' the gregarious trainer said during a telephone news conference May 10. ``We had some people in charge of California racing I think didn't like a few of us that were doing well. Anyway, it's all being heard by the courts and I'm very confident everything will be fine.''
Read more: http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/69672/oneill-could-be-suspended-for-tco2-violation#ixzz1uZIjGiih

jdhanover
05-11-2012, 11:42 AM
I could very well be wrong, but my instinct says O'Neill is actually clean here. Smells to me like he doesn't play well with some of those in 'charge' of the game so they are out after him. Politics has a way of twisting everything inside out.

tbwinner
05-11-2012, 11:50 AM
Any mention of the horse Burna Dette?

Grits
05-11-2012, 11:56 AM
She is quoted in the other link I posted.

castaway01
05-11-2012, 05:13 PM
C'mon dude.. Please read the ENTIRE post before your knee jerks and plasters you in the jaw.
I was commenting on the timing of the story. Not the content. Jesus Christ!!!!!
To answer your question...NO. It isn't.

As far as the timing, who would care about the guy outside of our little racing world until he won the Derby? That explains the timing.

The rest of your blathering and "Jesus Christing" and whatever other BS you spouted...you think all the allegations against poor Drug are just unfair by those meanies out to get him? I know, poor baby...but I feel more sorry for the horses he's drugged and left for dead over the years.

castaway01
05-11-2012, 05:15 PM
Just as bad as Dutrow, and nobody seems to notice

You're right, and even on this thread people are just OUTRAGED that anyone would say anything mean about poor Dougie, so I guess everyone wants to bury their heads in the sand, except about Dutrow of course.

Robert Fischer
05-11-2012, 07:09 PM
at least a good portion of O'neill's (like nearly all of Dutrow's) violations are due to "overages" rather than some illegal super-drug.

For a while in Ca. (maybe still is ongoing, and maybe not just Ca.) there was a certain limit to the CO2 readings and these knuckleheads would give some of there horses a small amount of the co2feed(maybe most common method), injection, or old-school "milkshake" that wasn't supposed to go over that limit.

I am not excusing this practice, only repeating what I have read/remember hearing.

I thought O'neill did a nice job training the Derby winner IHA and felt the comments he made pre-derby were spot on.

thespaah
05-11-2012, 09:45 PM
As far as the timing, who would care about the guy outside of our little racing world until he won the Derby? That explains the timing.

The rest of your blathering and "Jesus Christing" and whatever other BS you spouted...you think all the allegations against poor Drug are just unfair by those meanies out to get him? I know, poor baby...but I feel more sorry for the horses he's drugged and left for dead over the years.
DO NOT tell me what I think! Ever!.
You have a reading comprehension issue.
Not my problem.You show me where I stated O'Neil was innocent.
I am done with you. Do not post to me again.

WJ47
05-11-2012, 11:56 PM
I was disgusted when I saw O'Neill won the Derby. Trainers like Dutrow and O'Neill should stick to claiming races so the prestigious races aren't tainted.

BetCrazyGirl
05-12-2012, 08:46 AM
I was disgusted when I saw O'Neill won the Derby. Trainers like Dutrow and O'Neill should stick to claiming races so the prestigious races aren't tainted.

I felt the same way WJR7. I can careless about the Preakness now and the Belmont knowing he's going for the triple crown.

Greyfox
05-12-2012, 09:26 AM

That's not very realistic is it?
For starters O'Neill, like it or not, is a Licensed Trainer.
Typically guys like O'Neill, Mike Mitchell, and Jeff Mullins make a piss pot full of money in the Claiming ranks.
But if an owner brings them a legitimate high class Stakes horse, are they supposed to say : "Sorry, I don't do prestigious races."
Don't blame O'Neill.
Blame the owner for placing him with O'Neill.
Blame the Racing Boards for letting him race steeds (if he's truly proven tainted.)
(If O'Neill and Dutrow are truly pulling "crap" off, they shouldn't be allowed to linger in low claiming ranks either.)
The interesting thing that these trainers who seem to get the most out of their charges is that they have one thing in common.
They all have an excellent knowledge of horses and where to place them.
In effect, they are good "horsemen."
O'Neill and others might be guilty of a lot of things, but don't blame them for placing high quality stock in top level races.

castaway01
05-12-2012, 04:26 PM
DO NOT tell me what I think! Ever!.
You have a reading comprehension issue.
Not my problem.You show me where I stated O'Neil was innocent.
I am done with you. Do not post to me again.

And your latest post refutes anything I said how, exactly? I could care less, but you threw two tantrums after what I posted, yet you've offered exactly zero points of logic in return. Tell me about how all the things O'Neill was proven to have done were false. I'm not a trainer-basher. I love trainers, that's how I make my money, but this guy as some sort of hero is ridiculous.

Try to learn a bit, dear troll.

http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=73923&page=1&pp=15&highlight=o%27neill+alamitos (http://http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=73923&page=1&pp=15&highlight=o%27neill+alamitos)