PDA

View Full Version : 51% of derby Viewers Were Female Over 18

Canarsie
05-08-2012, 12:02 PM
http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2012/05/08/14-8-million-watch-kentucky-derby-on-nbc/132959/

If only 15% of them would get involved in the game it would be getting healthier. But as I stated in another discussion this is just a hit and run that happens once a year. The same goes for the male viewers don't want to appear sexist.

Robert Fischer
05-08-2012, 12:29 PM
well, if these are accurate, then I think that horseracing made a great impression with that demographic on 5/5.

Miss Disco
05-08-2012, 01:31 PM
Racing is very slow to grasp for that market. Look how the oaks plays to women via breast cancer awareness/wearing pink. Rachel A. and Zenyatta's successes could of been marketed to women.

depalma113
05-08-2012, 07:03 PM
A friend of mine who hosts a local sports talk radio show made his first bet ever on the Derby this past weekend. He bet Take Charge Indy.

He admitted on his show yesterday, watching and rooting for his horse was the most exciting moment he's ever had betting. He plays a lot of poker.

Skanoochies
05-08-2012, 07:16 PM
Shows you what a hat contest can do for you. :D

MNslappy
05-09-2012, 12:07 AM
Too bad when the coverage switched from NBC Sports to regular NBC 99% of wagering/handicapping discussion seemed to stop. (not that there was that much to begin with anyway)

I didnt pay attention to this, but I wonder if Twinspires ran ads during the NBC coverage? I hope they did. Because really, increased viewership, and chatter, and hype is probably ok for racing, but unless we turn some of these people into actual bettors, it isn't going to help all that much.

Robert Goren
05-09-2012, 04:46 AM
Derby day is a wonderful chance for racing to promote the industry. A lot the people who get up in Derby day do come back. They come back for one day. Lets face it, on days other than when big events are held, this sport is not very customer friendly. The regulars are used to it, but a new potential customer is not going to put with it. The good will that is earned on Derby day is lost when someone shows up again in a few weeks and horse racing is back to normal.

FenceBored
05-09-2012, 07:38 AM
Shows you what a hat contest can do for you. :D

Exactly. Chicks dig big ... hats.

JustRalph
05-09-2012, 01:25 PM
A friend of mine who hosts a local sports talk radio show made his first bet ever on the Derby this past weekend. He bet Take Charge Indy.

He admitted on his show yesterday, watching and rooting for his horse was the most exciting moment he's ever had betting. He plays a lot of poker.

Too bad his horse got hurt............

Sysonby
05-10-2012, 05:15 PM
Exactly. Chicks dig big ... hats.

"Chicks" dig horses. The more focus there is on the horses, the more you will attract the female demographic. Stories that talk about the horses as foals and their development would be particularly popular. The more you show footage of the horses, either racing or relaxing, the more women will like it.

There may be a small percentage who like the stuff on hats. I don't know, just know that I and my female friends couldn't care less about them.

cj
05-10-2012, 09:09 PM
The real question is what percentage of that market can be turned into bettors or owners, isn't it?

nijinski
05-11-2012, 12:25 AM
"Chicks" dig horses. The more focus there is on the horses, the more you will attract the female demographic. Stories that talk about the horses as foals and their development would be particularly popular. The more you show footage of the horses, either racing or relaxing, the more women will like it.

There may be a small percentage who like the stuff on hats. I don't know, just know that I and my female friends couldn't care less about them.
This is so true !