PDA

View Full Version : Belmont Stakes

gm10
05-08-2012, 03:27 AM
If there's one horse I would be keen to bet for the Belmont (right now) it's Went The Day Well. Ran a huge huge Derby. Pedigree fits, too.

Striker
05-08-2012, 06:20 PM
Pedigree fits, too.
Especially on his dam's side. Damsire in Tiznow and 2nd damsire in Roberto. You can even link him to Secretariat as WTDW's female family descends from Imperatrice, the dam of Somethingroyal.

turninforhome10
05-08-2012, 06:46 PM
Especially on his dam's side. Damsire in Tiznow and 2nd damsire in Roberto. You can even link him to Secretariat as WTDW's female family descends from Imperatrice, the dam of Somethingroyal.
Known large heart carriers in the line

setup
05-08-2012, 06:54 PM
Why was it 'huge huge'?

MNslappy
05-09-2012, 12:17 AM
Went the Day Well sort of reminds me of Summer Bird and Curlin. Loaded with talent, but still a little green entering the Derby. All 3 had rough trips in the Derby, but finished impressively, and you could plainly see how talented they were, even though they didnt really sniff the winner.

bigbobsports
05-14-2012, 12:29 AM
Should the track be full of mud and puddles why can't Creative Cause get it all? He has Secretariat on his side,Roberto,Blushing Groom,Northern Dancer. I am just bias to this horse.I like the moves he gives you.I can't wait until he starts racing on the lawn.

nijinski
05-14-2012, 02:11 AM
Should the track be full of mud and puddles why can't Creative Cause get it all? He has Secretariat on his side,Roberto,Blushing Groom,Northern Dancer. I am just bias to this horse.I like the moves he gives you.I can't wait until he starts racing on the lawn.
His trainer is one of the Cali trainers I have a tough time betting on . He did bring him up to the Derby better than I expected but not a personal favorite of mine for these upcoming classics.

cj
05-14-2012, 02:44 AM
I don't get the lovefest for Went the Day Well. He was an easily beaten, suck up 4th with a pace setup he is likely to see any time soon, and certainly not in the 1m 1/2 Belmont Stakes. Just my two cents on this one....

JPinMaryland
05-14-2012, 04:28 AM
speaking of creative cause, does anyone have a take on his jockey: Rosario? Does this guy have a reputation for taking his horse out wide. He was pretty wide on the backstretch in the derby...

sovereign
05-14-2012, 07:06 AM
I don't get the lovefest for Went the Day Well. He was an easily beaten, suck up 4th with a pace setup he is likely to see any time soon, and certainly not in the 1m 1/2 Belmont Stakes. Just my two cents on this one....

I know. I thought I was going to get half his Derby odds in the Preakness. Apparently not anymore. I really wish he won the Derby at 28-1. Now that he made noise everyone is looking.

burnsy
05-14-2012, 08:14 AM
i agree, when the pace is that fast and the top two hold on......the winner won rather easily.....the rest were sort of sucking up. all of these horses, went the day well, dullahan, union rags and the other closers. have to get into the race from the start. once a horse like bodemeister or i'll have another dictate the pace and open up....they are too good to catch on fast dirt. thats why horses on dirt hardly ever close from left field and in the belmont unless they go really fast, horses like these rarely win. the long dirt races are the hardest to close into and win. it usually happens in the derby because they go too fast and this year that did not even work out. horses like dullahan and went the day well have an advantage on the poly tracks but if its a clear, fast,dirt track. they will find more placings than actual wins. i'm not saying these horses CAN'T win. but they are held victim to the way the race plays out. the belmont is usually a constant pace...this is not how horses make up ground on dirt.

Robert Fischer
05-14-2012, 11:56 AM
This was a such a strong Derby that it basically comes down to who returns in good form for the Belmont. We don't really need new shooters, but we still may have 1 or 2 who are decent.

Velazquez will have Went The Day Well closer to the pace with both tactics and the slower pace at the stretch out in distance. In the Spiral Stakes he had the lead at the stretch. Velazquez is inclined to believe that he had a lot of horse and just was left with too much to do. Of Belmont contenders, not even Bodemeister(in the event he participates) will go very fast in the Belmont early.

He's certainly one of the 5 or 6 who ran big in the Derby.

Final Quarter Times with comments

1.I'LL HAVE ANOTHER 25.8 (won race)
2.BODEMEISTER 26.87 (fast pace)
3.DULLAHAN 25.73
4.WENT THE DAY WELL 25.19
5.CREATIVE CAUSE 26.15(move wide)
6.UNION RAGS 25.59 (traffic break, 1st turn)

JPinMaryland
05-14-2012, 12:45 PM
Robert are your final fractions based on the chart or on the video? I am getting some slightly different.

Robert Fischer
05-14-2012, 01:12 PM
Robert are your final fractions based on the chart or on the video? I am getting some slightly different.

They are using the trakus sectional data.

Valuist
05-14-2012, 02:09 PM

Absolutely. He will be the biggest underlay in the race. Derby plodders usually become overbet Belmont runners.

sovereign
05-14-2012, 02:35 PM
Absolutely. He will be the biggest underlay in the race. Derby plodders usually become overbet Belmont runners.

He's not exactly a plodder. He has run well from near the pace and from the back of the pack.

Valuist
05-14-2012, 04:22 PM
He was a plodder in the Derby, and that was his most recent race. I doubt you will see him anywhere near the pace in 4 weeks.

Turf Sonic
05-14-2012, 06:13 PM

I'm not sure how you can call WTDW a plodder. He had to check going into the first turn and coming out of the first turn and got shuffled back not by choice. The track was speed favoring. He ran the fastest final split. He still closed within 3 lengths. That was hardly a "clunk up for 4th" effort. He was flying at the finish and galloped out strongly. His PP show he certainly can handle running much closer to the pace and still have a finishing kick. I hope they skip the Preakness and run in the Belmont because he can run all day. But I don't think he could be ignored if he does run in the Preakness. This horse will be heard from plenty in the future if he stays healthy.