PDA

View Full Version : Late Odds Change on Derby Card

redshift1
05-07-2012, 03:33 PM
I tracked the odds on all the Derby day races using an Excel worksheet and was surprised by the changes in the last 1-2 minutes. Shackleford , Bodiemiester and Groupie Doll all dropped significantly.

I don't recall so much late movement on previous large handle day's like the Breeders Cup or last years Derby.

Anybody else surprised?

lamboguy
05-07-2012, 03:47 PM
years ago there was a guy betting the break on derby day in a dog track in S.Dakota for big money. he had Monarchos. that dog track had a lot of time to call the horse.

it must be the same guy that bet the break last saturday. i have no idea if he bet those races in the same dog track though.

CincyHorseplayer
05-07-2012, 03:51 PM
I made a bet on groupie Doll at 1 minute to post and she was 9/2.3-1 at the wire.That's pretty extreme.I had this vision that when she was coming down the stretch drawing off,of a bunch of guys punching tickets laughing their azzes off!!!

johnhannibalsmith
05-07-2012, 03:53 PM
years ago there was a guy betting the break on derby day in a dog track in S.Dakota for big money. he had Monarchos. that dog track had a lot of time to call the horse. ...

A real long time I guess. Wasn't Monarchos about 13th and a dozen back behind Songandaprayer and Balto Star, never made a move until about the 3/8, and still had to get past Congaree at the 1/8th?

turninforhome10
05-07-2012, 03:55 PM
At what point does the host track co-mingle all the funds from off track? Always wondered.

lamboguy
05-07-2012, 03:59 PM
i said Monarchos in the derby, but now that i remember, it was in the Florida Derby. the horse went down from 9-2 to 7-2 after the race finished and they knew the guy nailed the pools.

cj
05-07-2012, 04:04 PM
years ago there was a guy betting the break on derby day in a dog track in S.Dakota for big money. he had Monarchos. that dog track had a lot of time to call the horse.

it must be the same guy that bet the break last saturday. i have no idea if he bet those races in the same dog track though.

Pretty sure the big drop on Monarchos came in the Florida Derby, not Kentucky.

cj
05-07-2012, 04:04 PM
Oops, didn't read far enough ahead.

Mr. Nobody
05-07-2012, 06:54 PM
Saw these big late odds moves all day long on Oaks and Derby days. Crazy considering how much money must have been bet early on-track. What is the point of even trying to "value bet" when the final odds bear no relationship to odds with 5 minutes to post?

horses4courses
05-07-2012, 07:49 PM
Conditional wagering hasn't been around for too many years, either.
If a lot of big players put in a minimum odds requirement set for zero minutes to post, that could cause a drop, too.

Seems strange that it only seems to be on winners, though.

redshift1
05-07-2012, 08:10 PM
Conditional wagering hasn't been around for too many years, either.
If a lot of big players put in a minimum odds requirement set for zero minutes to post, that could cause a drop, too.

Seems strange that it only seems to be on winners, though.

Macho Macho was 5/1 when I bet and payed 7.50/1 so It looks like Thermal Cat took the late money in a losing effort.

Makes me think betting funds (ADW's) were co-mingled late but to be honest I know nothing about how that works.

PiquetBT52
05-09-2012, 06:40 PM
A friend of mine and I were discussing the Bodemeister move yesterday. Seemed fishey, but last night while watching the simulcasting replay, the odds did come up as 4/1 when they passed under the wire for the first time. Must have been conditional.

horses4courses
05-09-2012, 06:48 PM
A friend of mine and I were discussing the Bodemeister move yesterday. Seemed fishey, but last night while watching the simulcasting replay, the odds did come up as 4/1 when they passed under the wire for the first time. Must have been conditional.

I heard a guy at a racebook I go to say that someone bet $1 million on Bodemeister close to post time. I have no idea what his source was.
Will ask him tomorrow when I see him again.

Anyone else hear about a wager like that?
It had to take that kind of money to reduce the odds that much in such a major pool.

1GCFAN
05-09-2012, 09:54 PM
Saw the changes mentioned and I explained to someone that it was probably one of those computer bets. It takes a lot of money to move the odds that much on Derby Day.