PDA

View Full Version : Two comments about Derby Day

JustRalph
05-06-2012, 03:25 AM
1. Larry Colmus was fantastic! Great calls all day.

2. Lafitt Pincay III was great on the NBC shows. Especially the early races. He and Jerry Bailey were on for about 7 hours straight and Pincay was outstanding.

OTM Al
05-06-2012, 07:27 AM
Is anyone else somewhat disturbed by those Met Life commercials? I know they are cartoons, but Linus and Lucy are brother and sister. It was Sally that was always mooning over Linus.

As for the broadcast itself, thought it was pretty good when they were talking about racing. Fluff was a little too fluffy, but I know that's aimed at another group of people.

PhantomOnTour
05-06-2012, 08:36 AM
Horseracing in HD is stunning to watch.

I admit that i like the camera angles that network TV provides, esp the close view from the inside rail during the first furlong or so. Thank God they never used the ridiculous "under the rail" angle down the backside so we can see the thundering hooves (and totally lose track of who is where in the race).
The overhead angle on the far turn is nice also. Gives a clear picture of who's moving and how wide they are....love it.

I think NBC did a very good job.

Rapid Grey
05-06-2012, 09:28 AM
Overall good coverage by NBC, wish they would post more info about the race after it has been ran though. Kept wondering after the fast fractions what the finishing time was, must have waited 15 minutes to show it.

The payoffs would have been nice too, maybe not put them up as soon as they are official but a scroll on the bottom wouldn't have taken anything away from all of the other Derby aftermath.

depalma113
05-06-2012, 09:33 AM
Is anyone else somewhat disturbed by those Met Life commercials? I know they are cartoons, but Linus and Lucy are brother and sister. It was Sally that was always mooning over Linus.

Schroeder is the piano player, not Linus.

OTM Al
05-06-2012, 10:40 AM
Schroeder is the piano player, not Linus.

You're right! Been a long time since I've read those I guess.

Tom
05-06-2012, 11:18 AM
I think an apology is order here! ;)

OTM Al
05-06-2012, 11:46 AM
I think an apology is order here! ;)

Still think the commercials are a little weird :)

Shelby
05-06-2012, 12:16 PM
I enjoyed NBC's coverage. It was awesome to hear some of the behind the scene stories.

Only 364 more days until the next one!

Light
05-06-2012, 12:25 PM
The most entertaining part for me was watching the interview with the guy who had the free $100,000 to bet on any horse. You could see the astonishment and amusement in Mike Battaglia when the guy picked "Alpha". Everyone seemed to get a kick out of that including me because that was one of the few horses who clearly had no shot.

Tom
05-06-2012, 12:27 PM
Another comment......

Twin Spires is worthless!

JustRalph
05-06-2012, 01:51 PM
The most entertaining part for me was watching the interview with the guy who had the free $100,000 to bet on any horse. You could see the astonishment and amusement in Mike Battaglia when the guy picked "Alpha". Everyone seemed to get a kick out of that including me because that was one of the few horses who clearly had no shot.

if you still have it on tape, check out the mini interview Battaglia did with him about an hour before he picked. That guy was twitching like they had electrodes on him. He was nervous as hell. His wife was practically having to hold him up............ :lol:

anotherCAfan
05-06-2012, 01:53 PM
I like the announcer that Churchill has. (I don't know his name.)

The coverage seemed pretty good. Glad it was a safe race!

ArlJim78
05-06-2012, 02:22 PM
they seem to have no interest in showing the order of finish. as soon as a race was over they would talk only of the winner, interview the rider on the winning horse, show the closeups of the winner crossing the finish line from various angle which may or may not give any glimpse of the 2nd 3rd and 4th place finishers. often they would quickly go to right commercial before showing the other finishers.

TVG and HRTV also cut away quickly, but they are showing other tracks. NBC was only broadcasting Churchill. for people like me who play all tri's and supers, the first thing I want to know is the order of finish for the top four.

I can't stand it either when TVG or HRTV will immediately cut away and say "we'll be back for prices when they are available". How about sticking with it for another 30 seconds to complete the story, rather than cutting away to something else?

Robert Fischer
05-06-2012, 02:31 PM
1. Terrible coverage of the gambling game.

2. Breath taking hd(or near hd) coverage of the race.

BombsAway Bob
05-06-2012, 03:45 PM
1. Terrible coverage of the gambling game.

2. Breath taking hd(or near hd) coverage of the race.

3. PLEASE STOP those disgusting Anti-Smoking PSA ADS!
ENOUGH!
What's Next? Bring Back- "This is your Brain on Drugs"
but this time stick a Head in the Frying Pan with the egg?

johnhannibalsmith
05-06-2012, 04:41 PM
ENOUGH!...

I know. I had to run out for another pack in the middle of the afternoon they had me so subconsciously thinking about smoking.

keithw84
05-06-2012, 04:52 PM
Haven't watched much of the coverage yet (DVR) because I watched the Derby simulcast at the local track, but from what I saw, it was good overall.

One thing that they need to change is listing fractional times during the race. I don't care if a horse is going 36.4 mph or 37.2 mph. I do care if a horse tan an opening half mile in 45 1/5 seconds!

iceknight
05-06-2012, 04:58 PM
they seem to have no interest in showing the order of finish. as soon as a race was over they would talk only of the winner, interview the rider on the winning horse,
The winner takes all of the win pool and the TV coverage. Come on now, Horse racing is primarily about which horse WINS. The Triple Crown is given to the horse that wins All 3. Showing up is not winning 50% in this game.

However, I do understand your point about not showing the order of finish at least of the top 3-4

Shelby
05-06-2012, 05:32 PM
ENOUGH!
What's Next? Bring Back- "This is your Brain on Drugs"
but this time stick a Head in the Frying Pan with the egg?

OMG, I know! I'm sorry that lady has to have sponge baths from her son and I'm sorry those people lost their limbs, but, come on. A PSA ad every 2 minutes is excessive.

Shelby
05-06-2012, 05:34 PM
I know. I had to run out for another pack in the middle of the afternoon they had me so subconsciously thinking about smoking.:lol: I haven't smoked in years--I used to have one once in a while if out at a club--and it made ME want one for some reason. I guess it's the inner rebel.

ukbro00
05-06-2012, 06:53 PM
1. Larry Colmus was fantastic! Great calls all day.

2. Lafitt Pincay III was great on the NBC shows. Especially the early races. He and Jerry Bailey were on for about 7 hours straight and Pincay was outstanding.

Laffit Pincay III is terrible. He needs to be fired immediately. Very unprofessional, and asked horrible questions in interviews. During the Oaks telecast, he asked the same exact questions to Rosie in the winners circle as Donna Brothers did when Believe You Can was cooling out.

Pace Cap'n
05-06-2012, 07:21 PM
Is there more than one Mike Battaglia?

When he is functioning as a broadcaster he is knowledgeable, smooth, well spoken and personable.

But when he goes to call race, it is as if he has never seen...
...a horse
...a race
...a microphone
...and especially, a late move.

Go figure.

jerry-g
05-06-2012, 08:51 PM
I love the Kentucky Derby! To me it is one of the Worlds greatest spectacles.
I quit smoking 3 months ago and now today I had myself some smokes. I just handicap better if I can relax. There are points in my handicapping where I get excited and need to burn one. Now if I can just loose the 20 pounds I gained trying to get healthy, I'll feel better. I had no commercials on Twinspires but my TV gives me lawyers all the time. Some have 20 in the firm and each have a TV spot.