PDA

View Full Version : historically similar derbys...

JPinMaryland
05-05-2012, 11:57 PM
For anyone whose interested and especially for people who make figures, what derby does this years remind you of? I mean in terms of pace and fractions or whatever floats your boat.

It seems to me this years group held up very well under a hot pace scenario. Dont really see that very often. The Monarchos race and the SPend a Buck race maybe somewhat similar. I think the track was altogether more speed favoring on those days. Also maybe the 2010 race but that was on a sealed, sloppy track so you'd have to adjust for surface, possibly so...

But the race I find most similar by my reckoning is, somewhat strangely, the 2005 Giacomo race, run at about the same pace but finishing a full second behind this years final time.

In that race Giacomo (the winner) plays the role of this years Went the Day Well who I think had the best closing fraction. Three other horse in each race finished with strong closing fractions (about 26 flat) 2005: afleet alex; dontgetmad and closing argument. This years parallel: Ill have another, dullahan and union rags.

I guess the difference in final time is that this years strong finishers were more forwardly placed. So I guess either the speed held up better, or these group is better. Or some combo.

Anyhow that's all I got. ANyone have any other ideas? :confused:

turninforhome10
05-06-2012, 12:06 AM
After the track record went down in the Humana, I looked at the historical record of the race and when fast times have been posted and the two fastest of late were the years when Giacomo and Monarchos won.