PDA

View Full Version : and onto the Preakness.....

Smarty Cide
05-05-2012, 06:41 PM
might as well start a Preakness thread. who do you think goes on?

Bodemeister and all for the Preakness

rvaccha
05-05-2012, 06:42 PM
Is 'I'll have another' triple crown material? or are we going to have to wait another year?

Smarty Cide
05-05-2012, 06:43 PM
def wait another year

Lon Chaney
05-05-2012, 06:43 PM
Is 'I'll have another' triple crown material? or are we going to have to wait another year?

IMO, we will have to wait at least another year

precisionk
05-05-2012, 07:18 PM
Dullahan has to go the Preakness. He was coming on strong. Should fit well.

letswastemoney
05-05-2012, 07:20 PM
I hope Union Rags runs and takes more money.

I'd like to see how long his fans keep giving him excuses. He will be overbet no matter where he runs because he's a physically attractive horse with some talent.

Shemp Howard
05-05-2012, 07:27 PM

I'd like to see how long his fans keep giving him excuses. He will be overbet no matter where he runs because he's a physically attractive horse with some talent.

I think he gets a new pilot after the last two stinkeroos.

OTM Al
05-05-2012, 07:28 PM
Likely way too competitive division for it this year, but that does bode well for the big raves later this year and next.

depalma113
05-05-2012, 07:28 PM
If he goes, Bodemeister won't be beat in the Preakness. They won't catch him at a mile and 3/16th's. It will be Rachel Alexandra all over again.

Rapid Grey
05-05-2012, 08:27 PM

I'll bet Union Rags with both fists if he goes in the Preakness.

depalma113
05-05-2012, 08:50 PM
I'll bet Union Rags with both fists if he goes in the Preakness.

Why?

Rapid Grey
05-05-2012, 09:20 PM
Why?

Brutal trip from a bad post, reminded me of the one Lookin at Lucky got a few years ago.

Didn't give him an excuse in the Florida Derby but I do today.

wisconsin
05-05-2012, 09:21 PM
If he goes, Bodemeister won't be beat in the Preakness. They won't catch him at a mile and 3/16th's. It will be Rachel Alexandra all over again.

Probably accurate.

classhandicapper
05-05-2012, 09:27 PM
I'd have to guess that Bodemeister is going to be somewhere around even money in the Preakness.

setup
05-05-2012, 09:31 PM
Will be interesting to see how the Preakness field shapes up. Don't believe that too many from the Derby will show up.

depalma113
05-05-2012, 09:39 PM
Brutal trip from a bad post, reminded me of the one Lookin at Lucky got a few years ago.

Slow breaking horses find trouble in big fields. He's Dollar Bill all over again.

Greyfox
05-05-2012, 10:02 PM

You're right. He had a God awful trip today and finished 7th.
I did give him an excuse in the Florida Derby.
He had a bad trip there too.
I won't give up on him yet, but he still hasn't improved on his 2011 Speed figures.
He's a good animal and the price should be better next out.

iceknight
05-05-2012, 10:11 PM
Will Trinniberg run the Preakness?

porchy44
05-05-2012, 11:12 PM
I think these two are pretty evenly matched. Would like to see these two against each other again. Might be different outcome in shorter field.

toetoe
05-05-2012, 11:16 PM
Bodemeister outbroke the fastest sprinter of the class and ran away from him. :eek: . I am reminded of Spend a Buck.

Bullet Plane
05-05-2012, 11:35 PM
I think he gets a new pilot after the last two stinkeroos.

Agree 100 %!

Just like they hit the eject button on Go Go after Lookin at Lucky got jammed.

bishlap
05-06-2012, 03:29 AM
IHO will win the Triple Crown... IHO

bishlap
05-06-2012, 03:57 AM
IHO will win the Triple Crown... IHO
IHA will win The Triple Crown... IMHO- he meant :confused:

sovereign
05-06-2012, 07:48 AM
Went the Day Well for The Belmont!

PICSIX
05-06-2012, 08:02 AM

My thoughts to a tee :ThmbUp:

Scofield
05-06-2012, 08:19 AM

Depalma your asking Bodemeister in his 6th start in the Preakness to run 3 straight monumental races where he runs full steam every single quarter.A absolute bet against in the Preakness.Eventually the clunker is around the corner.

Robert Goren
05-06-2012, 08:32 AM
If he goes, Bodemeister won't be beat in the Preakness. They won't catch him at a mile and 3/16th's. It will be Rachel Alexandra all over again.He ran a big race at a mile and 1/8 3 week ago. He ran all out for 1 and 1/4 yesterday and you are asking him to run lights out again a mile and 3/16 in 2 weeks. It is bit much, don't you think.

depalma113
05-06-2012, 09:56 AM
He ran a big race at a mile and 1/8 3 week ago. He ran all out for 1 and 1/4 yesterday and you are asking him to run lights out again a mile and 3/16 in 2 weeks. It is bit much, don't you think.

Had he won the race, would you have said don't send him to the Preakness? Would you be making the same comment?

I hardly doubt it.

He's a racehorse, racing is what racehorses do.

Same BS was said about Curlin after his Derby.

depalma113
05-06-2012, 09:59 AM
Depalma your asking Bodemeister in his 6th start in the Preakness to run 3 straight monumental races where he runs full steam every single quarter.A absolute bet against in the Preakness.Eventually the clunker is around the corner.

Stopping on horses when they are in peak performance is why racing has become so bad.

They are bred to race.

Race the horse. The break comes after the Triple Crown.

You don't become a Legend sitting in the barn.

depalma113
05-06-2012, 10:01 AM
Bodemeister outbroke the fastest sprinter of the class and ran away from him. :eek: . I am reminded of Spend a Buck.

or Rachel Alexandra's Preakness.

maclr11
05-06-2012, 10:05 AM
If I was J. Paul Reddam I'd be finding the most fleet footed 3 year old in my stable and getting it ready to go in 44 and change and then pray he gets in the field.

FantasticDan
05-06-2012, 10:17 AM
Matz is recommending Union Rags skip the Preakness and point to the Belmont. Also, Hansen will not run in either.

depalma113
05-06-2012, 12:40 PM
Top two going to Preakness, along with Creative Cause and Liason.

nijinski
05-06-2012, 04:11 PM
Paynter are Hierro pointing to it.

Investorater
05-06-2012, 05:04 PM
Congrats.....the BODE, for your 2nd place finish in the KD. Next in liine.

andtheyreoff
05-06-2012, 05:32 PM
The Preakness website lists, besides horses who ran in the Derby, Tiger Walk, Isn't He Clever, and The Lumber Guy as probables.

I think The Lumber Guy would be badly misplaced in this spot, as he has speed (which Bodemeister also has) and he does not seem like the type to go 1 3/16 miles in a big field. The Peter Pan, at a one turn 9 furlongs, would seem like a MUCH better choice, considering the biggest horse currently running, Mark Valeski, is a hanging slob.

There is one thing you can guarantee about the Preakness field, though- it will be big. Probably too big.

Robert Fischer
05-06-2012, 06:00 PM
I don't know what the latest news is, but Dullahan would be wise to freshen and run in the Belmont.

Striker
05-06-2012, 11:48 PM
I don't know what the latest news is, but Dullahan would be wise to freshen and run in the Belmont.
Jerry Crawford said before talking it over with Romans that because they ran him at Keeneland and in the derby that putting him in the Preakness might be asking too much(3 races in a little more than 1 month) and that they would look at the Belmont. Unless Romans thinks differently, I would think that would be the plan.

menifee
05-07-2012, 02:18 AM
If I was J. Paul Reddam I'd be finding the most fleet footed 3 year old in my stable and getting it ready to go in 44 and change and then pray he gets in the field.

If the Lumber Guy enters, they'll have their rabbit. He's quick.

boogaloobboy
05-07-2012, 08:21 AM
Bode wins Preakness for free. If the jockey hadn't run a piss poor race he would have won the Derby also. All 4 of his quarter numbers were top 5 fastest in race history, emberassing performance to not reign him in and run the half in 46.

CincyHorseplayer
05-07-2012, 08:33 AM
Bode wins Preakness for free. If the jockey hadn't run a piss poor race he would have won the Derby also. All 4 of his quarter numbers were top 5 fastest in race history, emberassing performance to not reign him in and run the half in 46.

Yeah,reign him into a battle for the lead with multiple horses,awesome strategy.

melman
05-07-2012, 08:42 AM
I could not agree with you more Cincy. People what to focus on the "fast part" of the race by Bode. What was used to time his last quarter--a sundial? Look it was the 2nd SLOWEST KD winning Beyer in the last 20 years. And Bode did not even hang on to win. Part of the race was very fast on a very fast playing track. The final result was not FAST.

tucker6
05-07-2012, 08:50 AM
Jerry Crawford said before talking it over with Romans that because they ran him at Keeneland and in the derby that putting him in the Preakness might be asking too much(3 races in a little more than 1 month) and that they would look at the Belmont. Unless Romans thinks differently, I would think that would be the plan.
That's a sad testament to training now versus the 70's.

boogaloobboy
05-07-2012, 09:27 AM
Yeah,reign him into a battle for the lead with multiple horses,awesome strategy.

Did you miss the portion of the race where he was 2 lengths clear of Trinniberg and another length clear of Daddy longs legs, who was in turn 2 clear of hansen? And how for the entire 3rd quarter mile (ran in 24.41) he was 8 clear of everyone who mattered?

The proper way to run the race was to absolutely ignore the fact trinniberg was even in it. Because what shockingly happened? They hit the turn and Trinni faded like he had sacks of concrete on his feet. If he had sat back and run more similar to Hansen's first 3/4 mile Bode would have won going away.

Instead we did see him handle what many think is the best 3yo sprinter going out of the gates with relative ease, however that ruined his chances to hold on for the derby win.

FantasticDan
05-07-2012, 09:31 AM
Matz is recommending Union Rags skip the Preakness and point to the Belmont. Also, Hansen will not run in either.So I guess Hansen is going to Baltimore.. DRF had said in their Inside Post feed that he wouldn't, but I guess that changed.

boogaloobboy
05-07-2012, 09:49 AM
So I guess Hansen is going to Baltimore.. DRF had said in their Inside Post feed that he wouldn't, but I guess that changed.

Because he handled this distance so well it only makes sense to stretch him out even a bit further. Some bad calls being made by owners with triple crown race fever this year.

CincyHorseplayer
05-07-2012, 09:55 AM
Because he handled this distance so well it only makes sense to stretch him out even a bit further. Some bad calls being made by owners with triple crown race fever this year.

The Preakness is shorter.The internet is also filled with those that open that hole on their face and gloss over common sense!;)

boogaloobboy
05-07-2012, 10:02 AM
The Preakness is shorter.The internet is also filled with those that open that hole on their face and gloss over common sense!;)

Dear God I was so annoyed I misread his post and thought he meant Hansen was headed to the Belmont. Yowsers. I still think Hansen is a mile horse and even Preakness distance is to much.

CincyHorseplayer
05-07-2012, 10:13 AM
Dear God I was so annoyed I misread his post and thought he meant Hansen was headed to the Belmont. Yowsers. I still think Hansen is a mile horse and even Preakness distance is to much.

Hansen might be Shackleford part 2.Which might not be a bad thing judging by Saturday's gritty win,if indeed they make him a sprinter/miler.

boogaloobboy
05-07-2012, 10:38 AM
Hansen might be Shackleford part 2.Which might not be a bad thing judging by Saturday's gritty win,if indeed they make him a sprinter/miler.

I think he is just that. I hit the exacta and tri in Shack's win on saturday so I've nothing but love for him. Mark my words Hansens future is in the mile. :cool:

Striker
05-07-2012, 02:56 PM
The Preakness website lists, besides horses who ran in the Derby, Tiger Walk, Isn't He Clever, and The Lumber Guy as probables.

I think The Lumber Guy would be badly misplaced in this spot, as he has speed (which Bodemeister also has) and he does not seem like the type to go 1 3/16 miles in a big field. The Peter Pan, at a one turn 9 furlongs, would seem like a MUCH better choice, considering the biggest horse currently running, Mark Valeski, is a hanging slob.

The Lumber Guy is running in The Peter Pan and not the Preakness. Obviously benefits Bode.

Striker
05-07-2012, 08:09 PM
Went The Day Well is confirmed for the Preakness. I think he is a major player with the way he finished in the derby, and also he had some trouble behind Prospective, when Prospective almost went down about 50 yards from the gate.

Dark Horse
05-07-2012, 08:15 PM

Fwiw, last year my wife would repeatedly comment 'good old Shackleford'. This year it already is 'good old Bodemeister.'

Smarty Cide
05-07-2012, 08:25 PM
I really think Bode will slow it down a little and gate to wire the Preakness.

So he couldnt overcome the "not race at 2" rule. either could curlin and he came back and won the derby

Smarty Cide
05-07-2012, 08:57 PM
I really think Bode will slow it down a little and gate to wire the Preakness.

So he couldnt overcome the "not race at 2" rule. either could curlin and he came back and won the derby

i mean came back and won the preakness

Leparoux
05-07-2012, 10:33 PM
I think he is just that. I hit the exacta and tri in Shack's win on saturday so I've nothing but love for him. Mark my words Hansens future is in the mile. :cool:
Bold prediction :D

Striker
05-07-2012, 11:24 PM
Mark my words Hansens future is in the mile.
This is music to Caleb's Posse's pricked ears

Striker
05-08-2012, 03:14 PM
Zetterholm, Cozzetti, Guyana Star Dweej and Brimstone Island on AE list for Preakness. 2 will get in when entries are drawn.

precocity
05-08-2012, 05:35 PM
Went The Day Well is confirmed for the Preakness. I think he is a major player with the way he finished in the derby, and also he had some trouble behind Prospective, when Prospective almost went down about 50 yards from the gate.

he was closing like a freight train at the end? pissed me off that I went so much across the Bord and did not make a cent!!!! he could explode in the preakness? I hope..

Striker
05-08-2012, 11:28 PM
Just read on drf.com that Trinniberg is a go in the Preakness IF Bode doesn't run it in. :eek:

Dark Horse
05-09-2012, 05:16 AM
Just read on drf.com that Trinniberg is a go in the Preakness IF Bode doesn't run it in. :eek:

Great. Love the Trinniberg effect.

If Bode is out and Trinni is in, I like the look of Hansen.

Rapid Grey
05-09-2012, 12:12 PM
Why wouldn't they go?

1st route
chasing fast pace
just off the lead turning for home
shortening up a 1/16th

It's a no brainer. Isn't it? ;)

sovereign
05-09-2012, 01:36 PM
he was closing like a freight train at the end? pissed me off that I went so much across the Bord and did not make a cent!!!! he could explode in the preakness? I hope..

I hope he will be at least a third of his Derby odds if not half.

precocity
05-09-2012, 06:22 PM
I hope he will be at least a third of his Derby odds if not half.
sovereign probably get 8-1 or lower on him?

Striker
05-10-2012, 01:53 PM
Union Rags will skip the Preakness, and Matz wouldn't confirm the Belmont as his next race.

sovereign
05-10-2012, 04:11 PM
sovereign probably get 8-1 or lower on him?
Hoping for 8-1 or higher.

Steve R
05-10-2012, 07:03 PM
That's an insult to Spend a Buck.

PaceAdvantage
05-10-2012, 10:14 PM
That's an insult to Spend a Buck.For once we agree... ;)

cj
05-10-2012, 10:19 PM
Spend A Buck raced as many times before September of his 2yo season as Bodemeister did before the Derby.

Valuist
05-10-2012, 11:04 PM
Union Rags will skip the Preakness, and Matz wouldn't confirm the Belmont as his next race.

Wise decision, IMO.

Striker
05-14-2012, 04:58 PM
Hierro will skip the Preakness and Steve A said they are still deciding on if Daddy Nose Best will run.

sam i am
05-14-2012, 05:02 PM
Hansen is out...who is going to challenge Bode for the lead?
paynter, teeth of the dog :lol:

I see a very short price on bode.

Producer
05-14-2012, 06:49 PM
Hansen is out...who is going to challenge Bode for the lead?
paynter, teeth of the dog :lol:

I see a very short price on bode.

Not even. It's looking like Paynter is going to run in an allowance race earlier on the Preakness card. IHA will probably sit just off Bode and hope to run him down late. Shaping up as a 2 horse match race.

Burls
05-15-2012, 01:47 AM
He ran a big race at a mile and 1/8 3 week ago. He ran all out for 1 and 1/4 yesterday and you are asking him to run lights out again a mile and 3/16 in 2 weeks. It is bit much, don't you think.An interesting consideration here.
The race will be 1/16 shorter than the KD and Bodemeister looks to face significantly less pace pressure, perhaps none.
There's a definite couple of pluses.
But what have the last two races taken out of Bodemeister?
Especially the KD.
How big of a minus should we give that?

cj's dad
05-15-2012, 10:24 AM
Today's local 5 day forecast:

Friday - Sunny and warm

Saturday - 30% chance of rain

holmmd
05-15-2012, 01:55 PM
An interesting consideration here.
The race will be 1/16 shorter than the KD and Bodemeister looks to face significantly less pace pressure, perhaps none.
There's a definite couple of pluses.
But what have the last two races taken out of Bodemeister?
Especially the KD.
How big of a minus should we give that?

A lot of folks thought Shackelford would be spent for the Preakness given his fade in the Derby...you saw how that went down. Don't see Bode coming back to the field but I do expect IHA to apply some pace pressure. I see this as two horse race from start to finish.

FlyinLate
05-15-2012, 08:46 PM
A lot of folks thought Shackelford would be spent for the Preakness given his fade in the Derby...you saw how that went down. Don't see Bode coming back to the field but I do expect IHA to apply some pace pressure. I see this as two horse race from start to finish.

The fractions were quite a bit different to use last year as a comparison. I'm being gentle when I say "quite a bit".

RXB
05-15-2012, 11:09 PM
The fractions were quite a bit different to use last year as a comparison. I'm being gentle when I say "quite a bit".

The track played very differently last year so a comparison of nominal fractions doesn't tell the tale.

Leparoux
05-16-2012, 02:14 AM
The track played very differently last year so a comparison of nominal fractions doesn't tell the tale.
Bode also prepped in the Arkansas Derby and Shack did at Florida. Ark is closer to the Derby. This will be Bode's 3rd race in about a month. I think he is the horse to beat but there could be an argument made that he is due to bounce.

tucker6
05-16-2012, 06:21 AM
Is a potential bounce becoming overused as a reason to write off horses for a race? I mean, bouncing is real but doesn't occur all the time with a horse, so how can one say that so and so is due for a bounce so I'm not betting him? Sometimes a horse has two bads races in a row. What caused that?

sovereign
05-16-2012, 08:05 AM
How often does a Baffert-trained horse bounce?

FlyinLate
05-16-2012, 02:21 PM

Never did I say that, but imply what you like.
I was merely saying the vast differences in fractional times don't make for a solid comparison handicapping angle. Never said I was using it to the contrary in my handicapping.

Valuist
05-16-2012, 02:45 PM

His fade? He wasn't beaten that badly. And given he was racing along the deepest part of the CD track, one could make the case he may have been the best horse in the 2011 Derby. A little stretch but not unreasonable.

sovereign
05-16-2012, 02:51 PM
His fade? He wasn't beaten that badly. And given he was racing along the deepest part of the CD track, one could make the case he may have been the best horse in the 2011 Derby. A little stretch but not unreasonable.

Totally agree. And I'll help you stretch it a bit more. :)

Investorater
05-16-2012, 04:58 PM
It is my opinion that we'll see more versatility from "The BODE-STER" during his 3-year old season. And of course, some horses love to have another horse run alongside them, and some will do anything to avoid it. Getting a horse to relax is just as important as pace. Some horses can be relaxed going at a pretty fast clip, but others will get excited with another next to him/her even if they're doing a :47_:48 half.

It was wise not to work B before the Preakness since that might have put him too much on edge. He's galloping in preparation. Lookin At Lucky, didn't have a timed work after the KD in 2010 and he won.

The post position sets the tactical tone of the race, so I can only hope he draws toward the outside, though he can win from any #. May ALL horses and jockeys have safe trips home.

canleakid
05-16-2012, 06:55 PM
#7 BODEMEISTERE @ 8/5 and #9 I'LL HAVE AN OTHER @5-2

jerry-g
05-17-2012, 09:41 AM
Bodemeister is the lone early horse and if he gets the lead I think he can wire it. This is my pick and I'm sticking to it. :7:

bks
05-17-2012, 10:22 AM
Not even. It's looking like Paynter is going to run in an allowance race earlier on the Preakness card. IHA will probably sit just off Bode and hope to run him down late. Shaping up as a 2 horse match race.

This ^^

It's fine by me, but a number of people are selling IHA too short. The horse is tractable and dead friggin' game. He sat not far off the pace in the SA Derby and moved on the turn, outgaming CC in the stretch. Remember that CC went by Bode in the San Felipe when he was close to him as well.

I can't see Mario letting Bode get too far away from him [no more than three lengths the entire race, maybe less than two lengths depending how the track is playing]. I'm prepared to be wrong, but I think that IHA will be near even terms entering the drive, and that he goes by Bode no matter what the pace scenario [personally, I hope it's moderate, enough to put away the garbage in the race, but not hot enough to move the closers up.]

I'm playing the race with IHA and Bode as the top two, in that order. Hard not to see CC in one of the other two superfecta spots, and one of the other Derby runners in the other spot.

cj's dad
05-17-2012, 10:49 AM
Friday and Saturday:

Sunny and mild- low to mid 70's

Tom
05-17-2012, 12:48 PM
Average age of the crowd, or what?