PDA

View Full Version : Meadowlands Picks, May 5

Teach
05-05-2012, 07:40 AM
Race One:

#8 Blues At Midnight is my choice to win the opener. "The White Knight," Brian Sears, returns to Bergen County after an across-the-Hudson stint at Yonkers Raceway. The question remains: Which Blues At Midnight are we getting? In his last race, the horse was leading at the top of the stretch only to end up seventh. Yet, prior to that, he narrowly finished second in 1:51.3. The horse is sure to take action;he's certainly capable of overcoming the number-eight starting post. Look for this Big Towner-bred horse to be "on the engine." Can he last? His early fractions and the difficulty - or lack thereof - in getting to the lead will tell a lot. Others worthy of consideration are: #7 Sir Melo'sZ Tam. This horse had a very good qualifier at The Big M a few week ago. As my old high school French teacher would say: "Bouche bee!" Did he really come home in 26.2? Was that "qualie" enough? If it was...this horse could be right there at a very decent price. Also, this horse's 1:55.2 win at Batavia last year as a two year old is nuthin to sneeze at. #10 Rockweiler with"The Sorel Speedster," Yannick Gingras, does draw the outside post, but...if he can overcome that starting slot, he can easily be in the mix. He's had two decent qualifiers; now, let's see if he's ready for his first 2012 pari-mutuel start. Finally, the rail horse, #1Rockndream. When we lost saw Rockndream, he was part of a Jimmy Takter entry. Team Takter won the Survivor Series final, but this horse finished up the track. Was that an aberration, or was it the beginning of a downhill slide? I'll take my chances and say it was the former. Can be there. Should be a factor from the pylons.

Race Two:

Can "The White Knight" sweep both ends of the early double? My pick is #5 Most Happy Keene. The horse won his last at Yonkers in 1:55.2. He did have a hiccup in a prior Meadowlands race, but that may well have been an uncharacteristic departure from his usual form. If this horse runs the way he's capable, he should be right there at the wire. Others in the mix are: #3 InTheBlinkOfAnEye. This Cole Muffler-bred gelding had a very good recent race; one in which he motored from last to fourth. "The Orange Crush," Andy Miller, drives. His wife, "The Saluki" (she's a Southern Illinois U. grad - as was Walt "Clyde" Frazier), Julie, trains. #9 Three Ten has been very sharp (two straight wins). "Buckeye," Dave Miller, drives this Three Olives-bred horse. Miller should be looking for the lead with this horse, or at the very least, a "garden spot" tuck. Finally,#8 Stormin Rustler is my value play in this race. "The Green Hornet," Yannick Gingras, draws the assignment for this JohnMcDermott-trained gelding. This horse has been competitive at a slightly higher level. He's certainly capable of seeing his number light up on "The Big M" infield tote.

Race Three:

#3 Artist's View is my selection here. They're playing his favorite Aerosmith song: "Love On An Elevator". Yes, this 8-year-old Artspace-bred horse is dropping down into softer company. The question: Can he take advantage? One thing's for certain: he certainly has the times. Oh, another, he has the services of "The Hall of Famer," John Campbell. All that would seem necessary is a decent trip. Here's one of those off-the-wall, out-in-left-field picks. I'm talkin about #5 Alex Bullville (he's listed on the morning line at 15-1). Admittedly, Daniel Dube has been in a driving slump. Maybe, the Quebecois reinsman can get off "The Schneid" with a win with this horse? #6 Keep Going with Brian Sears fits well in this company. The driver change to Sears is big. This horse did finished sixth in his last. However, prior to that, he finished second. I see improvement here. Is it possible that "The White Knight" could take three in a row? Finally, the rail horse, #1 Pan Grad. He did finish fifth in open competition a week ago. Yet, before that, he won at The Meadowlands in this same kind of company. Dave Miller draws the assignment for this Wayne Cukerstein trainee.

Race Four:

#1 Bettor's Glass is my top pick. The horse draws the rail; he fits in this company; and he gets the services of "The Bionic Man," Tim Tetrick. This Bettor's Delight-bred gelding last raced at Pocono about a week ago; he finished seventh in a "parked out" trip. He should be able to make amends here. #3 Bullet Bob was at Chester last week; a race in which he narrowly finished second. Prior to that, the horse had won four in a row. I see him as the main threat to the top pick. #4 Oh My Joepa finished third a couple weeks ago; that snapped a three-straight win skein. Corey Callahan, "The Wildcat," drives this Rocknroll Hanover-bred gelding for trainer Dave Pinkney,Jr. Finally, a bit of a longshot, #8 Grams Legacy. This horse is a solid closer in a race that begs for a closing kick. The horse has faced better. Mark McDonald drives for trainer Jimmy Takter.

Race Five:

In the feature race, "The John Simpson Memorial," I'm picking #5 BoltThe Duer. Except for finishing fourth at "The Red Mile," last October, this horse has won four-straight pari-mutuel races and three-straight qualifiers. A solid trip would all that would appear necessary for a trip to the winner's circle. #3 Mel Mara looks like the real deal; a major threat to top pick. Excellent recent qualifier. Was fourth in the Woodrow Wilson last year despite breaking. If reasonably ready? Both the #1Social Network and the #1A Ideal Champ have a decent chance of hitting the board. The former starts from the #5 hole; the latter from the outside #9. Brians Sears and Dave Miller do the driving. Finally, a longshot, #2 Friday At Five. The horse has faced solid competition at both Pocono and Chester. Certainly capable of finishing off a superfecta.

Race Six:

#9 Foiled Again is my choice. He narrowly finished second in the Levy finals at Yonkers. That despite setting off from the eight-hole and getting to the front in a blistering 26.1. If that last race didn't take too much out of this 8-year old Dragon Again-bred gelding, he should be right there. Yannick Gingras retains the drive. #10 Bettor Sweet, despite the outside post, should be a factor here. He last raced as Harrah's Philadelphia (new symbol as of 4/29 is Phl; it was formerly Harrah's Chester). The horse turned in a 1:51 in his last race; he did finish sixth. John Campbell is in the sulky. #4 Meirs Hanover has been either first or second in his last six tries. In his current sharp form, he deserves consideration. Finally,#1 Rockincam was most impressive in winning at Pocono in a sizzling 1:49 (last quarter .27). Anything resembling that effort andthis horse is capable of getting his picture taken.

Race Seven:

My top pick in this highly competitive race is #9 Oscar Oscar. He's won seven of 10 starts this year. "The Orange Crush," Andy Miller drives; his wife, Julie, trains. Miller will have to overcome the number-nine outside post. Yet, the horse did it in his last race. One caveat: Don't expect much of a price. #4 Southwestern Dream with John Campbell looks like the major danger. The horse had trouble finding a tuck from the eight-hole in his last; however, he should find the four-hole more to his liking. This horse should be in good striking position as the field turns into the stretch. #6 Big Bam Ray made an uncharacteristic break in his last. This 7-year-old BeachTowel-bred horse can make amends here. He gains the driving skills of "The Bionic Man," Tim Tetrick. Finally, a longshot try. I can make a case for #1 Upfront Ellijay Ed. This Dragon Again-bred gelding comes back to The Big M after visits to Pocono, Yonkers and Saratoga. He did throw in a clunker in his last; yet, prior to that he showed sharp form. Both the rail and Dave Miller should help.

Race Eight:

I'm going to try to spring the upset with the #2, The Admiral. My thinking is that the horse has faced better. He also draws a good starting slot. Yes, he hasn't shown much lately; yet, he's been coming home in 27-second final panels. I think he's worth considering. #8 Giddy Up Delight is probably the most logical horse. He may well go off the chalk. He certainly has faced better at The Meadowlands and in the Levy Series at Yonkers. Dave Miller drives this Mark Ford trainee. #3 Morality ships in from Pocono after competing in the Weiss Series. The horse showed little in his last; however, prior to that he finished second twice, narrowly failing to win. The horse now gains the services of Tim Tetrick; that should help. Finally, #7 Keystone Raptor gains the services of Brian Sears. This Jate Lobell-bred gelding just missed in his last at Chester. Prior to that he finished fourth three times at The Meadowlands.

Race Nine:

#3 Blue Claw drops down a bit and gets a better starting post. Prior to his seventh place finish in his last he finished third twice. Could this Jenna's Beach Boy-bred gelding be sitting on a win? He'll need his best effort; yet, he might just take all the enchiladas. #7 Bushwood Z Tam finished second at Chester last time despite starting from the outside eight-hole. He can be factor on his best with these. Tim Tetrick in the bike is a plus. Should be closing in the stretch. #6 Western Posse hasn't shown much in recent efforts. Yet, he has faced better. He does have the services of Brian Sears. This Western Ideal-bred gelding might just get a wake-up call here. Finally, #1 Must Be The Bunny was last seen at Vernon Downs. He finished third. Prior to that he finished second at the Meadowlands against slightly softer. The rail should help; so too should Corey Callahan.

Race Ten:

#3 A J Corbelli has been razor sharp. He's won three of his last four. The horse draws well. He also has the service of Ron Pierce. Witha decent trip he can continue on his winning ways. #6 Versado is another horse who's been very sharp. He's won wo in a row, including a sparkling 1:52.1 at Yonkers. Look for Dave Miller to put this Dragon Again-bred gelding on the engine. #2 Pedro Island has also been very sharp. He's hit the board in four of five recent tries. This No Nukes-bred horse retains the services of "The White Knight," Brian Sears. Finally, #5 Freddy Day Hanover is my longshot try here. Admittedly, the horse hasn't shown much lately. However, there is a degree of back-class here. The horse did finish second in The Four Leaf Clover back in March. Andy Miller drives for Taylor Gower.

Race Eleven:

#7 Waiver Hanover gets my tepid nod in the finale. He hasn't shown much; yet he did put in a good effort last time. It was a race he was inferred with as he raced for the lead. A smoother trip might just put this horse right there at the wire. Andy Miller draws the driving assignment. #4 Blue Boy is another horse who met intererence as he headed out for the lead. He did reach the top; however, he narrowly missed. He ended up third. He now has a better post. He probably go off the betting favorite. #3 LiveFreeOrDieHard (Sounds like the motto of the state of New Hampshire) showed little in his recent Yonkers efforts. Yet, his times were very good. This horse could be "the sleeper" here. Tim Tetrick's in the bike. Finally, #5 Western Smoocher with Harry "The Falcon" Landy might just be closing best of all as the field reaches the top of the stretch. This horse should not be overlooked in your gimmicks.