PDA

View Full Version : I'll Have Another

Burls
05-05-2012, 02:54 AM
I can't help thinking that IHA is going to be a solid bet at a good price tomorrow.
I think a presser is the right kind of runner for all of the up-front speed that we're going to see tomorrow.
B was pretty impressive in the AD, to be sure, but it's only one race, and he's probably not going to be able to dictate his own pace up front this time.
Finally, the fact is that CC ran down B and IHA ran down CC, so IHA's gotta have a chance here.
I'm looking to see IHA up front at the final turn at 20/1 ready for a run-down.

ArlJim78
05-05-2012, 08:45 AM
I'm using IHA as well, I like the relaxed running style and strong finish. Would like to get him into the super because he's under the radar and in post 19 he should spice it up nicely.

regarding Bodemeister though, if he rates comfortably in 2nd or 3rd it's all over. if he can't then it gets interesting.

Burls
05-05-2012, 06:49 PM
I can't help thinking that IHA is going to be a solid bet at a good price tomorrow.
I think a presser is the right kind of runner for all of the up-front speed that we're going to see tomorrow.
B was pretty impressive in the AD, to be sure, but it's only one race, and he's probably not going to be able to dictate his own pace up front this time.
Finally, the fact is that CC ran down B and IHA ran down CC, so IHA's gotta have a chance here.
It happened just the way I was hoping it would!
I'll have to admit, I was worried whether he'd be able to make it all the way over from the 19 spot.

Beachbabe
05-05-2012, 06:53 PM
Nice pick....

Shelby
05-05-2012, 07:29 PM
Very nice

CincyHorseplayer
05-05-2012, 07:31 PM

Great vision man.Beautiful.:ThmbUp:

JBmadera
05-05-2012, 07:33 PM
Congrats! :ThmbUp:

Turf Sonic
05-05-2012, 07:39 PM
Good call. I had nothing on him. In hindsight since I loved CC I should have at least liked him. Tough thing about the Derby is you can't play them all. At least I got off Union Rags and Gemologist. Went the Day Well ran a great race. He didn't have the best trip and was really running at the end. We'll hear from him again.

Robert Fischer
05-05-2012, 07:44 PM
Great Pick.

Couldn't use him out of post 19 and had him ranked in the next group with Creative Cause (post 8).

BeatTheChalk
05-05-2012, 07:46 PM
Very well said and a great call. Only 6 other SA Derby Winners have
gone on to win the KD. Sounds low to me - but that's what I found.
The Name of the horse is one of theeee best.

Sysonby
05-05-2012, 08:14 PM
I've liked him since the Robert B. Lewis, missed the tri, but had a very nice exactor

Figaro
05-05-2012, 09:22 PM
Why didn't I see this thread earlier? :(

classhandicapper
05-05-2012, 09:23 PM
Nice pick.

ArlJim78
05-05-2012, 09:24 PM
I'm using IHA as well, I like the relaxed running style and strong finish. Would like to get him into the super because he's under the radar and in post 19 he should spice it up nicely.

regarding Bodemeister though, if he rates comfortably in 2nd or 3rd it's all over. if he can't then it gets interesting.

another derby redboard, but these were the only two horses I spoke about this week around here and in the chat last night. i did manage to get the trifecta. my super blew up because I needed Union Rags to be at least fourth.

last year I also talked about only two horses, Animal Kingdom and Nehro.

turninforhome10
05-05-2012, 09:31 PM
When did you guys post the winner?
Well since we have to have convictions to play this game , I am going out on limb here and declaring my Derby horse. The horse that has sparked my attention and is getting good at the right time (from Blood Horse)
"I’ll Have Another—who cost just $11,000 as a Keeneland September yearling and $35,000 at the OBS Spring Sale of 2-year-olds in training sale—is by Flower Alley out of a mare by Arch , both being horses who reached their peak over a distance of ground late in their three-year-old career".

Posted on Blood Files on 3-21-12.

maddog42
05-05-2012, 10:30 PM
another derby redboard, but these were the only two horses I spoke about this week around here and in the chat last night. i did manage to get the trifecta. my super blew up because I needed Union Rags to be at least fourth.

last year I also talked about only two horses, Animal Kingdom and Nehro.

Good call Art. I got the exacta, but couldn't pull the trigger on the tri. I put IHA
in the top 2 in another thread and noticed that you did too. I have NO confidence in my Derby picks so played it pretty conservatively. I cashed my first Derby ticket in about 10 years. That tri was sweet. Congrats.

Burls
05-05-2012, 11:02 PM
Only 6 other SA Derby Winners have
gone on to win the KD. Sounds low to me - but that's what I found.
The Name of the horse is one of theeee best.I think SA's going back to dirt would have to make a difference on that stat. How many years did SA have poly?

Tom
05-05-2012, 11:09 PM
Nice hit, Burls!

PhantomOnTour
05-05-2012, 11:39 PM
Way to go Burls...in these wild races you gotta find a horse.
That you did :ThmbUp:

Tom
05-05-2012, 11:46 PM
Next year, stop in the War Room! ;)

cj
05-06-2012, 01:53 PM
I think this horse deserves a lot more credit than he is getting. Yes, he had a great trip, but doesn't his versatility make him the kind of horse that always gets a good trip?

The WindfallAngler
05-06-2012, 02:04 PM
Nice pick. Lucky for you, Bodemeister's energies were so serioulsy and needlessly depleted during the last 300 yards, however.

Bullet Plane
05-06-2012, 02:08 PM
I discounted this horse before the race because I thought he would try to stalk the pace. He would have to use the horse from the outside post in order to do that.

That didn't happen.

I think he is one, if not the only horse, in the race with more than one gear.

We will see what he is made of when he tries to track Bode in the Preakness. Bode may be the lone speed in the race.

Then we will see who is who.

At this point, I'm not sure how good he is, versus the dream trip that he got.

There is also the question of the big layoff lines and the horses overall health. Will he be able to withstand the grueling triple crown races?

BeatTheChalk
05-06-2012, 03:54 PM
I am not sure - heck I couldn't even get the right number of prior winners
in the SA Derby who went on to win in Kentucky :bang: :blush:

castaway01
05-06-2012, 04:26 PM
Nice call Burls.

Robert Fischer
05-07-2012, 12:44 AM
I think this horse deserves a lot more credit than he is getting. Yes, he had a great trip, but doesn't his versatility make him the kind of horse that always gets a good trip?

Sure didn't hurt.
A critical point came early when they broke and settled.

It looked like he was 4 wide outside of the 10 and 3.

Without being asked he was able to move ahead of the 10 and get over in a pocket next to the 3 (TakeChargeIndy). His tactical speed and good handling from Gutierrez allowed all this to happen before the first turn. Saved him a couple lengths of ground and he got to settle comfortably in touch with the first group.

Badactor
05-07-2012, 05:57 PM
Congratulations... nice call on the winner! :)

Enjoy photos from Kentucky Derby week @ Churchill Downs.
http://upinclass.blogspot.com/

pandy
05-07-2012, 08:06 PM

I totally agree.