PDA

View Full Version : Mariano--Torn ACL

melman
05-04-2012, 12:04 AM
What a shame, for him, for the Yanks and for all of MLB. Not just a GREAT closer but also a great guy. He had talked about this being his last season before the start of this season. This might just make up his mind for him. A 42 year old guy with a torn ACL. Really sad. Already I seeing internet nut jobs blasting Gerardi for "letting him shag flies". Mariano has done that his whole career. Some things just happen.

ElKabong
05-04-2012, 12:32 AM
Great career. Too bad it ends like it did.

Yanks are in a tight spot for pitching. Times like this I'm thankful we (rangers) have Jon Daniels as GM. The guy hoards arms...I know Daniels would jump at the NYY GM job in a second, the Yanks may have waited too long to make that call to improve their lot for the near future. Going to be a struggle from here out for them

melman
05-04-2012, 12:39 AM
El---Yanks still have a couple of VERY good arms out in the pen. Roberston has been super effective the last two years. But I do agree with Jeter who said "You can't replace him".

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20120503&content_id=30328258&vkey=news_mlb&c_id=mlb

PaceAdvantage
05-04-2012, 12:40 AM
You can't blame Girardi...when's the last time a regular outfielder tore his ACL shagging fly balls during batting practice? Or even during a game. A totally freak injury in baseball I would say...

I don't think there's anyway Rivera wants to go out like this, so if he is able to heal sufficiently, I guarantee he'll be back...it's going to take 6 to 8 months, so it won't likely be this season (unless the Yankees make the post-season)...but if his surgery and recovery is successful, I will bet he's back next year.

ElKabong
05-04-2012, 12:44 AM
Mel,

with starting pitching as weak and shallow as NYY has at the moment, they need more than 2 good arms in the pen

I'm not hating on em....just being honest. Only 3 AL staffs have a worse ERA than the yanks going in today.....If they step up and find kids in the system to plug the trouble that's gone on since opening day, I'll admit I'm wrong (won't be the first or 100th time)

JMO, this franchise has been on a slow decline the past 3 yrs. If they'd signed Cliff Lee things would have turned completely right for them....but Lee wasn't interested in NY

melman
05-04-2012, 12:48 AM
PA---So correct you know what footwear he was using while shagging flies? Tennis shoes. Just to lessen any chance of his spikes getting caught in the ground. Like I said somethings just happen.
Hope your right but I really think this is the end. A torn ACL is a tough rehab job even for a much younger man. Ryan Howard of the Phils tore his first week of OCT last year and he MAY get back sometime in late June. And that was with extensive rehab. I do hope your right PA he is great for the game. But I really have to doubt it.

JustRalph
05-04-2012, 12:48 AM
How many games does this cost the team over the rest of the season?

3-5 ? That could be huge.......

ElKabong
05-04-2012, 12:54 AM
You can't blame Girardi...when's the last time a regular outfielder tore his ACL shagging fly balls during batting practice? Or even during a game. A totally freak injury in baseball I would say...

I don't think there's anyway Rivera wants to go out like this, so if he is able to heal sufficiently, I guarantee he'll be back...it's going to take 6 to 8 months, so it won't likely be this season (unless the Yankees make the post-season)...but if his surgery and recovery is successful, I will bet he's back next year.

i hope for nyy fans you're right, but i doubt it'll happen

i blew out an acl when i was 14 playing football & was a half assed pitcher in pony league....when i pitched in 9th grade coming back i couldn't find the plate b/c my landing foot / leg didn't have the stability needed///everything was high and out of the strike zone...never pitched again

reason why i posted the above, a pitcher (far better than me) on our HS team 2 yrs ahead of me blew his acl out too later on....he signed w/ the phillies prior to blowing out his knee, couldn't find the strike zone b/c of the instability of his knee....

it's a tougher road back than you'd think.....your power comes from below the waist....if he really did TEAR his acl, i have $2 on him never being close to what he was

but i do wish him good luck

melman
05-04-2012, 12:54 AM
El---Oh I'll agree with you all day long on the starting pitching. It's CC and then problems. Not huge problems as Nova and Kiroda are OK major league pitchers. Nova had just won 15 games in a row before the O's beat him. But with his ERA he was pitching on the "right day". With Hughes and Garcia not effective that is cause for serious concern. Look for them to be making a trade. Maybe they will want Colon back.

ElKabong
05-04-2012, 01:01 AM
How many games does this cost the team over the rest of the season?

3-5 ? That could be huge.......

I'd say much more, BUT, this is a great opportunity for Soriano..... I thought that was a GREAT signing 15 months ago, now we get to see if he can handle the pressure in ny

ElKabong
05-09-2012, 10:21 PM
More misery for the yank bullpen just now. Nursing a 1-0 lead in the 9th, Joyce launches one for a 4-1 TB Rays lead after TB tied the game.

Also hurting nyy is their sloppy defense. Team needs an overhaul to be considered a legit contender imo

ElKabong
05-09-2012, 10:24 PM
have to wonder why Soriano wasn't in to close this one out??

Nothing takes the air out of a team more than blowing a 9th inning lead. Tough loss

Striker
05-09-2012, 10:39 PM
El--- Look for them to be making a trade. Maybe they will want Colon back.
Wouldn't shock me to see a trade with the Cubs as the Yanks got the former pitching coach(Rothschild) from the Cubs and he is quite familiar with most of the cubs pitchers. I could see him helping any pitcher that would come from the cubbies to the yankees.

horses4courses
05-09-2012, 10:47 PM

I was thinking the same thing.
Although the man is 42, he is in good enough shape to make a recovery.
Maybe he won't be quite the same again, but I think he'll at least try to be.
Then the best relief pitcher in baseball can eventually leave the game on his terms. I'm no Yankees fan, but you have to be pulling for him.

Canarsie
05-10-2012, 08:43 AM
I'm no Yankees fan, but you have to be pulling for him.

Agree 100% and I'm a huge Red Sox fan. Jeter and Rivera and in the top ten of classiest players in all of MLB. People may disagree but having GREAT clubhouse guys can go a long way in a prolonged season.

He doesn't even care for his song when he enter the game.

"I don't listen to that kind of music," he added, more bluntly. "I don't love the song."

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/04/05/sports/baseball/05mets.html?n=Top/Reference/Times%20Topics/Organizations/M/Metallica