PDA

View Full Version : Need Help with Computer

sq764
01-01-2004, 08:30 PM
I just reinstalled Windows XP (long story, computer was in bad condition).. Now its fine and working well, except for one thing - my speakers are not working.. They are plugged in, connected tot he computer, and the power light is on.. But no sound.

Is it possible a driver has to be installed? If so, how? I don't have any speaker install disks and I went on the HP website and they have shit for info and no driver info.

Ideas???

DJofSD
01-01-2004, 09:49 PM
In Control Panel select Sounds and Audio then make sure (1) the mute box is not checked, and (2) the volume slider is not positioned all the way to the left.

DJofSD

Buddha
01-01-2004, 09:51 PM
I have a HP, well refurbished HP and have to install sound drivers each time I reinstall windows. It should just be the basic sound drivers, and if you email me, I will email you the driver I have to see if it works for you.

buddha61@comcast.net

lousycapperII
01-01-2004, 10:59 PM
http://www.driverguide.com/join.htm

IT'S FREE & THEY HAVE JUST ABOUT ANY DRIVER YOU MIGHT NEED.

-LCII

JustRalph
01-01-2004, 11:06 PM
Hit the "windows" key it's between " ctrl and alt" and the pause/break key, at the same time......then the hardware tab, and the "device manager" button and see if there are any sound drivers installed. Then re-post your findings.......

sq764
01-02-2004, 09:30 AM
Buddha was the man on this one.. The drivers he sent worked like a charm. Thank God for horseracing buddies, cause the company that sells you your computer should could give a crap...

No lie, this was my entire conversation with Hewlett packard:

(Some Indian speaking woman answers)

"Hi sir, have you ever called Hewlett Packard before?"
"No"
"Ok, what kind of computer do you have?"
"I have an HP Pavilion 700"
"Ok sir, is this the first time you have called Hewlett Packard?"
"Um, never mind, bye"

DJofSD
01-02-2004, 09:59 AM
You have experienced first hand what it means when a high tech company outsources some of it's work. Sometimes it is called offshoring. Most of the time it is for programming. I remember a few months ago reading that a company like Dell (if not that one) had actually received so many complaints like yours that for certain product support calls, they were going to keep the destination for the calls w/in the continental U.S.

HP does have a web site with a problem data base. There's also user forums.

DJofSD