PDA

View Full Version : Baseball's linsanity

Valuist
05-03-2012, 02:10 PM
Has got to be Brian LaHair. Just hit his 7th home run of the season and he's currently batting a blazing .394. 29 years old.....had never gotten a chance until the Cubs decided not to re-sign Carlos Pena. So for a roll of the dice he's having the 2nd best season in the NL behind Matt "Babe Ruth" Kemp.

Canarsie
05-03-2012, 02:18 PM
Has got to be Brian LaHair. Just hit his 7th home run of the season and he's currently batting a blazing .394. 29 years old.....had never gotten a chance until the Cubs decided not to re-sign Carlos Pena. So for a roll of the dice he's having the 2nd best season in the NL behind Matt "Babe Ruth" Kemp.

Maybe Theo had something to do with it. He is one of the smartest GM's in the game.

Good for LaHair also I love hearing stories like this.

Striker
05-03-2012, 05:01 PM
LaHair and Samardzija are the only 2 bright spots for the Cubbies right now. But Theo and Hoyer love the Rizzo kid at AAA right now as he is playing real well in Iowa, and he is only a 1st baseman and they would have to move Lahair when they decide to call up Rizzo either this year or next. LaHair can play the outfield but you never want to fix anything unless it is broken. What is the total on HRs for the Cubs like 11 or something with LaHair having 7 of them. Glad to see Soriano thriving as normal for 25 million or whatever it is he gets paid.

Valuist
05-04-2012, 09:08 AM
LaHair and Samardzija are the only 2 bright spots for the Cubbies right now. But Theo and Hoyer love the Rizzo kid at AAA right now as he is playing real well in Iowa, and he is only a 1st baseman and they would have to move Lahair when they decide to call up Rizzo either this year or next. LaHair can play the outfield but you never want to fix anything unless it is broken. What is the total on HRs for the Cubs like 11 or something with LaHair having 7 of them. Glad to see Soriano thriving as normal for 25 million or whatever it is he gets paid.

Soriano may go to the bench when Rizzo comes up. Can't possibly take LaHair's bat out of the lineup. Let's see: Soriano can't run anymore, can't hit for average, is a liability defensively, and now he can't hit for power.

Valuist
05-16-2012, 10:03 AM
Just hit his 10th home run of the season and he's 2nd in NL OPS behind Matt Kemp. I see that he had a cup of coffee with Seattle back in 2008 then didn't appear in the majors again until late in the 2011 season. Think the Mariners could use a good bat now?

kingfin66
05-18-2012, 01:01 AM
Think the Mariners could use a good bat now?

Of course they could. Hell, they could use a guy that hits over the Mendoza Line. It's easy to use hindsight and say that the M's let a talent get away. If you look at LaHair's career, however, you can see the Mariners' point of view. He was slow to develop, never hitting with the type of power you would expect of a big first baseman like he is. He was also injury prone. His last season with the M's AAA team was a good year but he was already past the prospect stage by then. To his credit, he backed it up in 2010 and then had a phenomenal year in 2011. The Cubs kind of had to give him a shot after that, but they really didn't have other options.

It's really good to see him finally get a chance and to be doing something with it.

melman
05-18-2012, 12:02 PM
Hey I am all for Brain LaHair. Love the story older player finally getting his shot. But the real bright spot and the best player for the Cubbies is Starlin Castro. Would love to have that young man on my team. Hitting for a high average (322) now with some pop. Plays the very important SS position very well. Castro also had a very good year last season. I think Starlin will be an All-Star for years to come.

rastajenk
05-18-2012, 01:17 PM
I think Starlin will be an All-Star for years to come.Especially if they keep the rule that every team has to have at least one. :p

:D

melman
05-18-2012, 02:04 PM
OK name me two better SS in the NL. Tulowitski? yes solid fielder with a great arm also a good hitter with pop but he does play most games at Coors. Reyes? Good hitter, speed, but has lots of trouble playing a full season. That's about it. I can see Starlin Castro getting better and better. Just starting his career while Tulo and Reyes have been in the league longer.

melman
05-18-2012, 03:03 PM
BTW Val our old friend Adam Dunn appears back to normal. After having perhaps the worst season of any MLB player in history he is back to normal. Hit for a 260 avg and mash bombs. Had done that on a regular basis for years.

Also Val did you hear the edict from MLB today?? This might be a "first" for excessive argueing BOTH manager Charlie Manuel and UMPIRE Bob Davidson are suspended for one game. That's right throw that ump out. :lol:

Valuist
05-18-2012, 08:01 PM
BTW Val our old friend Adam Dunn appears back to normal. After having perhaps the worst season of any MLB player in history he is back to normal. Hit for a 260 avg and mash bombs. Had done that on a regular basis for years.

Also Val did you hear the edict from MLB today?? This might be a "first" for excessive argueing BOTH manager Charlie Manuel and UMPIRE Bob Davidson are suspended for one game. That's right throw that ump out. :lol:

I think with Dunn it was mostly psychological last year. He'll still strike out 165 times and won't top .240 but he will hit over 30 homers and probably get 100 walks.

rastajenk
05-19-2012, 05:51 AM
Mel, I was just bustin' on Cubs and their fans, 'cause, well, it's an easy target. :p Not a knock on Castro himself.

:cool:

melman
05-19-2012, 07:16 AM
Mel, I was just bustin' on Cubs and their fans, 'cause, well, it's an easy target. :p Not a knock on Castro himself.

:cool:
OK I got ya. I'm not a Cubs fan either. A long time Phils fan. I just really enjoy watching baseball. Good baseball. The Cubbies do have a couple of gigs that are fun, to me at least. The 7th inning "take me out to the ballgame" bit with a guest conductor. And the "Go Cubbies Go" dance music after a home win. I also think the new Cubs GM Theo has a LOT of work to do. :)