PDA

View Full Version : Breaking news - Junior Seau dead

DJofSD
05-02-2012, 02:36 PM
Apparently by his own hand.

Valuist
05-02-2012, 02:45 PM
Just saw he is the 8th member of the 1994 Charger team to have died.

redshift1
05-02-2012, 02:49 PM
Had a big following in Southern California used to see his jersey's all over, tough for the family.

Bettowin
05-02-2012, 02:53 PM
Wow! I wonder what was going on to make him get to that point?

DJofSD
05-02-2012, 03:01 PM
http://www.nctimes.com/news/local/oceanside/article_bccb943a-ba7e-56f3-8756-13d9c81a8258.html

Valuist
05-02-2012, 03:24 PM
Wow! I wonder what was going on to make him get to that point?

Premature dementia, I would guess. Seems like a lot of these guys have had brain damage. This is a ticking time bomb for the league and they know it. As more and more information comes out, you will see more and more parents refuse to let their kids play. At least in the affluent areas.

Striker
05-02-2012, 06:12 PM
Premature dementia, I would guess. Seems like a lot of these guys have had brain damage. This is a ticking time bomb for the league and they know it. As more and more information comes out, you will see more and more parents refuse to let their kids play. At least in the affluent areas.
The fact that he shot himself in the chest is just like Dave Duerson of the Bears did, and Duerson requested his brain be donated/examined scientifically to help fight against brain damage from his years in the NFL.

Marshall Bennett
05-02-2012, 07:06 PM
Sad news. Rip.

Valuist
05-02-2012, 07:42 PM
The fact that he shot himself in the chest is just like Dave Duerson of the Bears did, and Duerson requested his brain be donated/examined scientifically to help fight against brain damage from his years in the NFL.

Seau made the same request.

surfdog89
05-02-2012, 07:54 PM
Very sad news......been a Charger Fan for 40 years.....RIP Mr. San Diego

Grits
05-02-2012, 09:33 PM
This is terribly sad.:(

magwell
05-02-2012, 10:10 PM
One of the good guys...... he was just in Ft Lauderdale a month ago and seemed fine .....shows you never know, very sad news :(

ElKabong
05-03-2012, 12:22 AM
Some time soon, these suicides will completely turn me off from watching football. It's to the point where the players off themselves b/c of their injuries on a near monthly basis now.

I grew up living a football life, here in TX. More and more of these suicides have me wondering now that I'm just an observer if I'm contributing to something that's become inhumane, and terribly costly to those participating for people's enjoyment (people like me) + the fortune and fame.

I think of Earl Campbell, same exact age as me. At John Tyler HS he was the best LB I ever saw- Darrell Royal had the same opinion in the newspaper btw....he turned out to be a one of a kind power RB, but by 45 yo he was walking with a cane and had anxiety problems bigtime. I can guarantee suicide has crossed his mind

how many players are like Earl? Contemplated suicide b/c of trauma to the brain, or just a losing battle to pain management? It makes me sad. Really sad.

Might be time to check out on football, for me. I still love the game at ALL levels under the nfl, but if the end result is what Seau met, I'm out. Too cruel

DJofSD
06-07-2012, 09:06 AM
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/story/2012-06-06/nfl-concussion-lawsuit/55433744/1

More than 80 concussion-related suits have been filed against the NFL by more than 2,000 former players. A master complaint will be filed Thursday in federal court in Philadelphia summarizing players' claims that the league fraudulently concealed long-term effects of head trauma for decades.

Robert Fischer
06-07-2012, 01:58 PM
I'm a little hesitant to believe that Seau killed himself because of concussions.

Hope the players at least get all their medical expenses covered.

DJofSD
06-07-2012, 02:19 PM
I'm a little hesitant to believe that Seau killed himself because of concussions.

Hope the players at least get all their medical expenses covered.
Oh, really?

Maybe b/c I'm in San Diego, I got more exposure to the discussion which immediately followed his death, and, there was a lot of talk/speculation it was to some degree related to concussions.

And then there is this: http://content.usatoday.com/communities/thehuddle/post/2012/05/ex-teammate-junior-seau-had-1500-concussions/1#.T9DwIJiuWSo

Valuist
06-07-2012, 02:42 PM
Oh, really?

Maybe b/c I'm in San Diego, I got more exposure to the discussion which immediately followed his death, and, there was a lot of talk/speculation it was to some degree related to concussions.

And then there is this: http://content.usatoday.com/communities/thehuddle/post/2012/05/ex-teammate-junior-seau-had-1500-concussions/1#.T9DwIJiuWSo

The NFL has a huge problem on their hands. And the sport in general will have a problem: more and more parents are not going to allow their kids to play. It won't wipe the sport out but it will become much more selective and regionalized. Probably won't change much in poor areas but my guess is it will really hit suburban high schools hard.

Robert Fischer
06-07-2012, 02:51 PM
Oh, really?

My judgement would be that it's most likely that some level of brain injury was one of the negative things in his life, rather than the dominant factor.

DJofSD
06-07-2012, 02:53 PM
My judgement would be that it's most likely that some level of brain injury was one of the negative things in his life, rather than the dominant factor.
You mean like being a little pregnant?

Robert Fischer
06-07-2012, 03:06 PM
You mean like being a little pregnant?

There is a huge lawsuit going on, and much of the people speaking for Seau have an interest.

The lifestyle has to be considered. Seau was a superstar athlete who lived in the fastlane for 20 some years. He was heavily medicated, and he had multiple blows to the head, and he spent a lot of money. When the lifestyle starts to decline, and the physical effects worsen, and some of the negative habits linger that has to be rough. This type of thing seems to be common in professions like football and pro wrestling, where unfortunately many of these guys die young.

Could it have simply been terrible brain injury that made life impossible to live? Sure. I just don't happen to think that is the most likely scenario.