PDA

View Full Version : Hovdey: Kentucky Derby Decadent and Depraved

maddog42
05-02-2012, 09:22 AM
I post this link for Hunter Thompson fans. I count myself as one. This drug-addled 60's journalist had one "king hell" effect on modern journalism, especially the "new journalism". Not for everyone, his article for Scanlons magazine was one of the funniest things I have ever read: The Kentucky Derby is Decadent and Depraved.

http://www.drf.com/news/hovdey-hunter-thompsons-bizarre-kentucky-derby-experience-reborn-new-cd

School of Forego
05-02-2012, 10:28 AM
maddog, thanks for sharing. Didn't the Hells Angels do a number on Hunter when he was writing about them? I think I remember something where they put him in really bad shape. He was quite the character no doubt. I laughed when I saw that we both went down with Silent Screen.:(

maddog42
05-02-2012, 02:56 PM
maddog, thanks for sharing. Didn't the Hells Angels do a number on Hunter when he was writing about them? I think I remember something where they put him in really bad shape. He was quite the character no doubt. I laughed when I saw that we both went down with Silent Screen.:(

Hunter ran with the Angels for a year. At the end of his classic "Hells Angels", Thompson got stomped for arguing with them that his Triumph was faster than an Angels Harley. He ended the book by calling for their extermination. Remember this was 1966.