PDA

View Full Version : Hayward on non paid administrative leave

Cholly
04-30-2012, 06:18 PM
http://www.paulickreport.com/news/the-biz/nyra-s-hayward-kehoe-placed-on-non-paid-administrative-leave/

Grits
04-30-2012, 06:28 PM
Earlier today, I felt Hayward's days might be numbered at NYRA.

I'm stunned. Hours didn't cross my mind.

Derby? What Derby? I'm sorry, guys, its so obvious, this sport is in shambles.:faint:

jeebus1083
04-30-2012, 06:40 PM
This is a clear vote of "no confidence" by NYRA. Hayward's days as President/CEO are numbered, and NYRA's days as franchise holder could also be in jeopardy.

lamboguy
04-30-2012, 06:50 PM
bring in BILL NADER. and the place will be the best in the world and will have $100 million handles every saturday.

egreen
04-30-2012, 07:32 PM
Charlie will be lucky if his job is all he loses. This is a serious criminal matter. As for cover-up Crist, the DRF needs to give him the boot. He's far too smart for anyone to believe that he didn't understand exactly what was going on here.

jelly
04-30-2012, 07:39 PM
Hayward was incompetent.

Hopefully they will bring someone in who is Horseplayer friendly.

PaceAdvantage
04-30-2012, 07:44 PM
This is a serious criminal matter.Oh, I highly doubt that...given the ways laws are written in NY when it comes to racing and the bureaucratic mumbo-jumbo concerning how exactly takeout rates are ultimately adjusted, I'd have to guess there is no way in hell this is a "serious criminal matter."

This issue certainly doesn't need any more hyperbole...

PaceAdvantage
04-30-2012, 07:44 PM
Hopefully they will bring someone in who is Horseplayer friendly.Actually, anyone who knows Hayward knows he's one of the few who is "horseplayer friendly."

jeebus1083
04-30-2012, 08:00 PM
Charlie will be lucky if his job is all he loses. This is a serious criminal matter. As for cover-up Crist, the DRF needs to give him the boot. He's far too smart for anyone to believe that he didn't understand exactly what was going on here.

Charlie and Steve have been friends since the old Racing Times days. He was respecting the wish of his friend to keep the matter private and off-record, away from the auspices of the NYS government, and from the important, high-profile Saratoga meet. As a journalist however, this revelation does him no justice, and the calls for his head at DRF are justified. Will it happen? I don't know. It's a tough call, as Crist is literally the figurehead "face" of the modern Daily Racing Form brand. However, there was a DRF before Steve Crist, and there will still be one after.

usedtolovetvg
04-30-2012, 08:10 PM
Not censuring Crist would send the wrong message to all racing writers. They must be held accountable for their complicity in any and all things that are detrimental to the industry.

Jasonm921
04-30-2012, 08:10 PM
Days before the Derby and this is the trending topic.....just sad.

MightBeSosa
04-30-2012, 08:12 PM
Frankly, I always thought 20% takeouts were a serious criminal matter, but who's to say.

jelly
04-30-2012, 09:01 PM
Actually, anyone who knows Hayward knows he's one of the few who is "horseplayer friendly."

According to this report Hayward knew about overcharging of bettors for months

I guess that's friendly :lol:

http://blog.timesunion.com/capitol/archives/128868/two-nyra-leaders-sent-home-without-pay/onths.

PaceAdvantage
04-30-2012, 09:04 PM
According to this report Hayward knew about overcharging of bettors for months

I guess that's friendly :lol: Yup...you've nailed him...good job jelly...knew we could count on you...you're a peach..

I'm sure that extra 1% really killed a lot of folks... :rolleyes:

Except of course for the folks that got paid back... :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Charli125
04-30-2012, 09:54 PM
Yup...you've nailed him...good job jelly...knew we could count on you...you're a peach..

I'm sure that extra 1% really killed a lot of folks... :rolleyes:

Except of course for the folks that got paid back... :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I'm not sure where the sarcasm is coming from. Most people haven't been paid back, 1% is a lot, and he did know about it. Those are the facts.

Tom
04-30-2012, 09:58 PM
Paid back with interest?

PaceAdvantage
04-30-2012, 10:01 PM
I'm not sure where the sarcasm is coming from. Most people haven't been paid back, 1% is a lot, and he did know about it. Those are the facts.Yes, he did know about it. Do you also think he should prison time?

When trainers start doing prison time for actually ripping me off at the windows, I'll start worrying about Hayward.

I find this line of reasoning ridiculous...thus my sarcasm.

usedtolovetvg
04-30-2012, 10:05 PM
I'm not sure where the sarcasm is coming from. Most people haven't been paid back, 1% is a lot, and he did know about it. Those are the facts.

I've always thought the theft of $8.5 million to be a trivial matter. And, then to use all the resources at your disposal to cover it up, nothing really. Maybe PA was bcc'ed on those emails.

Charli125
04-30-2012, 10:06 PM
Yes, he did know about it. Do you also think he should prison time?

When trainers start doing prison time for actually ripping me off at the windows, I'll start worrying about Hayward.

No, I don't think it's deserving of prison time. I do think it's deserving of being fired.

I think people are going too far with their requests for punishment, but that shouldn't reduce the gravity of what's happened.

PaceAdvantage
04-30-2012, 10:08 PM
No, I don't think it's deserving of prison time. I do think it's deserving of being fired.

I think people are going too far with their requests for punishment, but that shouldn't reduce the gravity of what's happened.Well, that's all I'm responding to...these claims that he is going to prison. Ridiculous given all that is known.

Charli125
04-30-2012, 10:09 PM
I've always thought the theft of $8.5 million to be a trivial matter. And, then to use all the resources at your disposal to cover it up, nothing really. Maybe PA was bcc'ed on those emails.

I'm with PA on it not being a criminal case of fraud, and I suggest we all avoid the personal attacks since it's a very sensitive issue due to all of the personal connections.

I hope that we can all agree that what Mr. Hayward did was very wrong, that it took 8.4 million out of the pools, and that he should be fired because of it.

PaceAdvantage
04-30-2012, 10:10 PM
I've always thought the theft of $8.5 million to be a trivial matter. And, then to use all the resources at your disposal to cover it up, nothing really. Maybe PA was bcc'ed on those emails.So Charlie pocketed all that money personally? Really? :lol:

PaceAdvantage
04-30-2012, 10:11 PM
I'm with PA on it not being a criminal case of fraud, and I suggest we all avoid the personal attacks since it's a very sensitive issue due to all of the personal connections.I don't know where you're going with these personal connections things, but as far as I know, I never met or spoken with Charlie Hayward in person.

I hope that settles that.

Charli125
04-30-2012, 10:16 PM
I don't know where you're going with these personal connections things, but as far as I know, I never met or spoken with Charlie Hayward in person.

I hope that settles that.

Where I'm going with that is that there are several people on this board that have close relationships with people that work at NYRA. I never said anything about you and Charlie Hayward. In fact I was suggesting that usedtolovetvg shouldn't suggest that you were on the receiving end of privileged information.

And most of us know that he didn't pocket the money.

PaceAdvantage
04-30-2012, 10:24 PM
And I must amend my prior statement to say that in addition to never meeting or speaking to him in person, I have never emailed him, spoken to him on the phone, or PM'd him...hope that settles that...

jelly
04-30-2012, 10:28 PM
Yes, he did know about it. Do you also think he should prison time?

I never said Hayward should go to prison.Not getting the sarcasm.

He is incompetent though. :ThmbUp:

usedtolovetvg
04-30-2012, 10:28 PM
So Charlie pocketed all that money personally? Really? :lol:

Some of the money is unaccounted for and what they did was serious and wrong. Right now I'm just thinking Charlie was arrogant and stupid. The worst thing for us horse players is these bozos gave Cuomo just the opening he was looking for to get rid of racing and pave the way for slots. Horse players have to be open minded. Until all the money is accounted for, I'll reserve judgement. Sorry if I offended. I make jokes most of which are bad. That's why I don't work much and have all this free time on my hands.

jelly
04-30-2012, 11:08 PM
Full report here.
http://www.scribd.com/doc/91824424/NYRA-Interim-Report-Takeout

At the February 14, 2012 meeting of the FOB, various NYRA representatives includingCharles Hayward commented on the takeout issue. The following are excerpts from drafttranscripts of the meeting:

“…

THAT LEGISLATION HAD A SUNSET ON IT. SO IN SEPTEMBER OF 2010, WHEN THATLAW SUNSETED FOR EXOTICS WHICH THE LAW HAD MOVED OUTSIDE THE ALLOWEDRANGE, OR STATUTORY RANGE, THERE SHOULD HAVE BEEN A REDUCTION FROM 26 TO25. THAT REDUCTION DID NOT TAKE PLACE. I WILL POINT OUT TO YOU THAT DURINGTHE ENTIRE PERIOD IN QUESTION, NYRA PRINT [SIC] ALL OF ITS TAKEOUT RATES, ANDWE CONTINUED TO PRINT A TAKEOUT RATE AT 26 PERCENT IN OUR PROGRAM, WEPRINTED IN THE DAILY RACING FORM THE 26 PERCENT, ALL OF OUR SIMULCASTCONTRACTS WHICH HAVE OUR TAKE OUT RATES WHICH ARE EXICUTED [SIC] IN THEPERIOD AND APPROVED BY THE STATE RACING AND WAGERING BOARD REFLECT THE26 PERCENT. SO LOOK, WE DID NOT OBEY THE LAW, WE UNDERSTAND THAT, BUT WEWERE NOT TRYING TO MISLEAD ANYBODY AND IN FACT PUBLISHING INCORRENTINFORMATION AND WITHHOLDING INCORRECT

INFORMATION…”

Hayward further commented, in part:

“…THE WHOLE ISSUE HERE IS THAT WE HAVE RANGES AND UNFORTUNATELY WHEN

THE LAW, AND WE CAN APPEAL TO THE STATE RACING AND WAGERING BOARD ANDMAKE A CHANGE EVERY QUARTER. WHAT THE LAW DID IS IT MOVED THE TAKE OUTOF THE RANGE. SO THAT'S WHY STATUTORALLY, THEY SET A LAW THAT SUNSETTEDTHAT TOOK IT OUTSIDE THE STATUE [SIC]. IN FACT THEY HARD CODED THAT 26 IN THELAW. SO WHEN THAT WENT AWAY, AND BY THE WAY IT WAS ABOUT 3 MONTHS AFTERWE GOT THE LOAN THAT THE STATE GAVE US, WHICH BECAME EVENTUALLY GENTINGLOAN, WE DID NOT FEEL POLITICALLY WAS THE RIGHT TIME TO GO TO THE STATE AND

SAY WE WANT TO REDUCE THE TAKEOUTS, BUT WE SHOULD HAVE…”

cj
05-01-2012, 01:45 AM
Why is suddenly NYRA the sole responsible party here? I thought months ago it was agreed there was plenty of blame to go around, including the Racing and Wagering Board.

JustRalph
05-01-2012, 02:14 AM
Why is suddenly NYRA the sole responsible party here? I thought months ago it was agreed there was plenty of blame to go around, including the Racing and Wagering Board.

If you read the report there are at least 4 disparate groups that screwed up by not catching this thing in audits or daily operations.

Plenty of places to put the blame. But the fact that there were emails floating around between employees puts the onus right on NYRA.

The others could be construed as errors of omission. In one case NYRA itself actually provided an auditor with documentation that stated the takeout should be 26%. Was that intentional ? from the way it reads, probably not. But somebody has to be considered the place where the buck stops. And in this case it appears that the proverbial buck was bouncing around between offices at the NYRA and nobody decided to eliminate or act on the problem.

In fact, if I read it right, they didn't blow the whistle, it was finally brought to the attention of the board by an outside source. It would probably still be going on if it had been left up to NYRA.........you think?

cj
05-01-2012, 02:21 AM
If you read the report there are at least 4 disparate groups that screwed up by not catching this thing in audits or daily operations.

Plenty of places to put the blame. But the fact that there were emails floating around between employees puts the onus right on NYRA.

The others could be construed as errors of omission. In one case NYRA itself actually provided an auditor with documentation that stated the takeout should be 26%. Was that intentional ? from the way it reads, probably not. But somebody has to be considered the place where the buck stops. And in this case it appears that the proverbial buck was bouncing around between offices at the NYRA and nobody decided to eliminate or act on the problem.

In fact, if I read it right, they didn't blow the whistle, it was finally brought to the attention of the board by an outside source. It would probably still be going on if it had been left up to NYRA.........you think?

I still think it is more a matter of Hayward not understanding what he was reading. If you read the e-mail exchange closely, that is what it points to for me. I'm not excusing him for not finding out or following up on something he didn't understand, but this was all covered months ago.

Now, old news is being dragged back up for political purposes, nothing more. He admitted he screwed up back then. Anyway, there is no way this as clear cut as the puppets putting out these reports are trying to make it seem. I'd bet anything on that one.

JustRalph
05-01-2012, 03:03 AM
Anyway, there is no way this as clear cut as the puppets putting out these reports are trying to make it seem. I'd bet anything on that one.

I would suspect as much. But I guess it's all up to Hayward now to either take the hit and move on, or start stirring the pot.