PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on Creative Cause?

Robert Fischer
04-30-2012, 08:00 AM
Anyone using? Anyone tossing?

sovereign
04-30-2012, 08:50 AM
Anyone using? Anyone tossing?

Using in all positions of the exotics.

PhantomOnTour
04-30-2012, 09:10 AM
You beat me to the punch on starting a Creative Cause thread.
I think his figure pattern says he's sitting on GO....a big race.

Need to see how he does in his final work.

School of Forego
04-30-2012, 09:55 AM
Creative Cause appears to be a horse that has trouble passing horses. He's been right there in some big races but does not show any of the fight Gemologist displayed in the Wood. They took the hood off, a signal to the horse to fight and he failed. Why would I want this horse? He is nothing but a California name who has become a California Dream. Toss from all slots.:cool: GL

sovereign
04-30-2012, 10:14 AM
Creative Cause never lost ground in the stretch. Hmmm... Now looking over his PPs again, it looks like he never lost ground in any of his races from ALL points. He gradually moved forward as the wire nears. Even in his losses he was always gaining and moving forward.

Valuist
04-30-2012, 10:33 AM
Why did they take the blinkers off the horse? In the SA Derby, being in between horses in the stretch, can't help but wonder if a blinkered CC would've won that race.

The whole stretch gain thing is overrated. Its more a function of a horse timing their move right. You get better value on the horse who makes the huge premature move on the far turn then hangs in the stretch.

Robert Fischer
04-30-2012, 11:07 AM
Why did they take the blinkers off the horse? In the SA Derby, being in between horses in the stretch, can't help but wonder if a blinkered CC would've won that race.

One of my impressions from that race was that Creative Cause got into leaning/dueling that horse on the rail he was passing while I'll Have Another got past him to the wire.

Was probably as good as IHA in the SA Derby.

I'm not sure he isn't a better horse at 8.5f than 9f+ but he is interesting.

ArlJim78
04-30-2012, 11:21 AM
I don't see Creative Cause getting better at 10 furlongs. I'm much more interested in I'll have Another as a live horse that will outrun his odds. Not convinced he has the talent to win it but he has the right style.

sovereign
04-30-2012, 11:21 AM

The whole stretch gain thing is overrated. Its more a function of a horse timing their move right. You get better value on the horse who makes the huge premature move on the far turn then hangs in the stretch.

He gains ground for the entire race, not just the stretch.

Valuist
04-30-2012, 11:32 AM
He gains ground for the entire race, not just the stretch.

Yes but generally when horses do that they are falling too far back early on.

I have nothing against the horse; I think he is going to be a factor in the Derby.

Steve R
04-30-2012, 01:15 PM
Creative Cause appears to be a horse that has trouble passing horses. He's been right there in some big races but does not show any of the fight Gemologist displayed in the Wood. They took the hood off, a signal to the horse to fight and he failed. Why would I want this horse? He is nothing but a California name who has become a California Dream. Toss from all slots.:cool: GL
He is notionally one of the best bred for a mile and a quarter so there is a distinct possibility that horses he couldn't pass earlier will be passing him in the other direction in the drive.

School of Forego
04-30-2012, 01:37 PM
I don't know Steve R. It's not like CC has the style of Zenyatta. He has his turn of foot that he has shown. I don't think the distance will help because when a horse can't pass horses at a shorter distance I tend to toss them at longer unless the style plays into it. GL:cool:

Skanoochies
04-30-2012, 04:57 PM
I find it hard to leave a horse out who has run in seven consecutive G1/G2 races, won three of them, and never been beaten by more than a length in his life. His style seems to me to be a horse that just starts a bit back and continues on steadily, regardless of the distance.

That to me is the style that may leave him the last man standing type of win. :confused:

Delta Cone
04-30-2012, 05:00 PM
This quote from the trainer is quite unsettling to me:

“He doesn’t like to be crowded,” said Harrington of Creative Cause. “In deep stretch (in the Santa Anita Derby), those horses were crowding him and then when the inside horse dropped off, he (Creative Cause) leveled off and actually came back on the winner. But when all three of them were head and head, he didn’t like it that much. He got smashed and annihilated at Del Mar in the (2011) Futurity (gr. I) and it’s affected him; he doesn’t like crowds, but obviously he’ll have to deal with it (in the Kentucky Derby)."

Skanoochies
04-30-2012, 05:24 PM
WOW! I never heard that one. You got me rethinking things. :confused:

Delta Cone
04-30-2012, 05:56 PM
I should give full credit to Blood-Horse. The full article was posted Apr 30 and can be found here:

http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/69360/harrington-creative-causes-work-perfect

setup
04-30-2012, 06:58 PM
From the chart, it appears as if he did some against-the-grain running, being the only horse to run from the back. In reality, he was inside, and with clear run, until coming out slightly entering the stretch. Doubtful the seas part again for this one is the Derby. He can't win with a garden trip; why would I want him in a race where he'll actually have to run to win it?