PDA

View Full Version : Dynaformer, Rest in Peace

FantasticDan
04-29-2012, 04:22 PM
http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/69338/premier-stallion-dynaformer-dies-at-27

horses4courses
04-29-2012, 04:25 PM
Very influential sire. RIP.
Saw his dad, Roberto, race in Ireland in the early 70s.

http://www.thoroughbredtimes.com/breeding-news/2012/04/29/dynaformer-obit.aspx#

PhantomOnTour
04-29-2012, 04:28 PM
Great horse.

Will always regret not visiting Three Chimneys when i was in Lexington about 6yrs ago...coulda seen Dynaformer, Smarty, and i think Point Given...among others.

Sire of Derby winner Barbaro
RIP

thaskalos
04-29-2012, 04:50 PM
True horse racing royalty, IMO...and the greatest sire of them all.

When they called this "the sport of kings"...they had horses like Dynaformer in mind.

ten2oneormore
04-29-2012, 04:54 PM
Damn that sucks.Here are his millionaires

Americain $4.96 Mil
Rainbow View 1.12
Barbaro 2.30
Blue Bunting 1.06
Perfect Drift 4.71
Film Maker 2.20
Riskaverse 2.18
Brilliant Speed 1.04

and a ton of others that were pretty damn good like Purim and Harmonious

Taken from a blog

"As a personal aside, I have a soft spot for a horse who could be one of the meanest nastiest toughest SOB's ever. His barn nickname is "Hannibal Lector". One of his grooms showed me the hand that is missing part of a finger due to Dynaformer. The metal bars of his stall are dented and dinged from kicks and bites. His feed bucket is malformed. The horse, when I saw him was in his early 20's! My mom and I were out at the farm on a tour. She really wanted to "meet" Smarty Jones. I was interested in Point Given and Dynaformer. Albert the Great was a love bug who mostly liked to be petted and sleep. Point Given was jealous when others got attention and Smarty was the star. Off to the side, and with a guard in front, was Dynaformer. No one was allowed near the stall. I managed to engage the groom in conversation and conveyed my respect for the greatness of the mean old cuss. I told him of the eventers my friends owned with his blood. His groom whispered that I should wait for the tour group to leave. Once the barn cleared, he asked for help. Dynaformer was lipchained and shanked from both sides and attended by TWO grooms. But, they brought him out and stood him up for me and my mom. He was an awesome specimen. Not pretty at all, but proud, strong, coarse and well aware of his worth. I didn't have the nerve to ask if I could touch him..........I was already concerned for the jobs of the grooms. But, being in his presence was really something to remember. I was in awe and scared at the same time.........and I still have all my fingers."

nijinski
04-29-2012, 05:37 PM
Dynaformer, whose passing came on what would have been the ninth birthday of his most famous son, Barbaro, will be buried in the Three Chimneys stallion cemetery next to stable mates Rahy and Wild Again.

After suffering a significant cardiac episode in his stall on April 14, Dynaformer was immediately pensioned from stallion duty. After Dynaformer had been stabilized, an ultrasound performed on April 15th reveled several holes in his heart as a result of the heart attack, one measuring eight centimeters long and two others measuring two centimeters each.

Dynaformer had been resting comfortably, eating well, and maintaining his daily turnout routine in the weeks following his heart scare, but his health took a turn the evening of Saturday, April 28th.

"Dynaformer told us when it was his time to go," said Dr. Jim Morehead, Three Chimneys' resident veterinarian. "Amazingly, he had been comfortable after his initial crisis on April 14 and had been able to go to his paddock daily. A normal horse would not have survived his initial cardiac episode. He did everything on his terms, including deciding when he'd had enough."

"He did everything on his own terms" Love that ! An amazing horse RIP!

Above from Three Chimneys.

nearco
04-29-2012, 05:56 PM

Americain $4.96 Mil
Rainbow View 1.12
Barbaro 2.30
Blue Bunting 1.06
Perfect Drift 4.71
Film Maker 2.20
Riskaverse 2.18
Brilliant Speed 1.04

Don't forget McDynamo, at $1.4m America's top money winner over fences.

Calling Dynaformer the greatest of them all is probably a bit over the top, considering we've had Danzig, Sadlers Wells, Danehill, Galileo, AP Indy, Sunday Silence, Storm Cat, Kingmambo all alive within the last 10 years or still alive.
But you have to wonder if Dynaformer couldn't have been catapulted into mega-sire status had he been discovered sooner, esp by Europeans, Aussies and Japanese.

Shelby
04-29-2012, 06:23 PM

Americain $4.96 Mil
Rainbow View 1.12
Barbaro 2.30
Blue Bunting 1.06
Perfect Drift 4.71
Film Maker 2.20
Riskaverse 2.18
Brilliant Speed 1.04

and a ton of others that were pretty damn good like Purim and Harmonious

Taken from a blog

"As a personal aside, I have a soft spot for a horse who could be one of the meanest nastiest toughest SOB's ever. His barn nickname is "Hannibal Lector". One of his grooms showed me the hand that is missing part of a finger due to Dynaformer. The metal bars of his stall are dented and dinged from kicks and bites. His feed bucket is malformed. The horse, when I saw him was in his early 20's! My mom and I were out at the farm on a tour. She really wanted to "meet" Smarty Jones. I was interested in Point Given and Dynaformer. Albert the Great was a love bug who mostly liked to be petted and sleep. Point Given was jealous when others got attention and Smarty was the star. Off to the side, and with a guard in front, was Dynaformer. No one was allowed near the stall. I managed to engage the groom in conversation and conveyed my respect for the greatness of the mean old cuss. I told him of the eventers my friends owned with his blood. His groom whispered that I should wait for the tour group to leave. Once the barn cleared, he asked for help. Dynaformer was lipchained and shanked from both sides and attended by TWO grooms. But, they brought him out and stood him up for me and my mom. He was an awesome specimen. Not pretty at all, but proud, strong, coarse and well aware of his worth. I didn't have the nerve to ask if I could touch him..........I was already concerned for the jobs of the grooms. But, being in his presence was really something to remember. I was in awe and scared at the same time.........and I still have all my fingers."

This is a great story! I wonder how they ever got him to breed???

RIP Dyna, you will be missed.

classhandicapper
04-29-2012, 06:30 PM
I'm not a breeding expert, but I'd say we just lost a very good stamina influence.

nijinski
04-29-2012, 06:36 PM

Re his job in the shed , a nice reflection. from TC stallion manager.

"He commanded respect and total attention at all times," Three Chimneys stallion manager Sandy Hatfield said. "He had earned every bit of his reputation as being one of the toughest stallions in the industry, but when it came to his job in the breeding shed, he was a total professional. In my opinion, our industry has lost one of the greatest sires it will ever see."

Read more here: http://www.kansascity.com/2012/04/29/3583020/legendary-stallion-dynaformer.html#storylink=cpy

Shelby
04-29-2012, 06:40 PM
Re his job in the shed , a nice reflection. from TC stallion manager.

"He commanded respect and total attention at all times," Three Chimneys stallion manager Sandy Hatfield said. "He had earned every bit of his reputation as being one of the toughest stallions in the industry, but when it came to his job in the breeding shed, he was a total professional. In my opinion, our industry has lost one of the greatest sires it will ever see."

Read more here: http://www.kansascity.com/2012/04/29/3583020/legendary-stallion-dynaformer.html#storylink=cpy

Thank you :)

Amazing how he knew when to be at his best.

iceknight
04-29-2012, 07:19 PM

I think animals (and especially smart ones like horses) know what to do when they see a mare.. ;) :)
RIP Dynaformer...... the name itself sounded fantastic to me.. such power conveyed! They named him well!

Grits
04-29-2012, 07:55 PM
Rest now, "Big D". Go in peace and enjoy your hereafter. You've been a gift to thoroughbred racing. I'm grateful.