PDA

View Full Version : Jock puts the stick away five jumps too soon...

Milkshaker
04-25-2012, 10:52 PM
Bonehead jockey move of the day...All ya gotta watch is the stretch run of Evangeline 8th on 4/25/12.

Nice, slick twirling of the whip before he puts it away---five jumps too soon.

Rival comes from outta nowhere to nail him--at 53-1.

Would love to hear the banter back and forth that is shown on the gallop-out.

[Losing jock has his head down before snapping back & forth with other rider(s).]

Didn't have either hoss, but $109 winner in Leg A might elevate me into 3 of 4 status for the P4.

Milkshaker
04-25-2012, 10:59 PM
Obliged to add a postscript: Very next race, same jock (Carlos Marquez, 0-for-meet and 8% on yr) comes back and shakes free on a $14 winner.

He damn sure doesn't put the stick away this time and rides hard to the wire.

Run Nicholas Run
04-26-2012, 12:28 AM
Milkshaker,

I went to the Evangeline website and saw the replay and even the iso slo mo
towards the wire , and this spank of a rider started pulling up the horse 5 strides before the wire, with the HUGE finishline post at Evangeline how could he miss judge the finish? :D

AlbertButtry
04-26-2012, 12:31 AM
He should be fined and suspended for being an idiot. I didn't bet the race but that was bad.

PhantomOnTour
04-26-2012, 12:32 AM
Makes you wonder huh?

Guy misjudges the finish?
Then he draws off and wins the next at 6-1...maybe neither race was truly run.

castaway01
04-26-2012, 07:36 AM
Makes you wonder huh?

Guy misjudges the finish?
Then he draws off and wins the next at 6-1...maybe neither race was truly run.

In 99 percent of these cases, it's probably just stupidity and poor riding. If the jockey was trying to lose, why would he find himself in front 50 yards from the finish? Why not just stiff the horse, get in traffic trouble, etc.? Much easier, much less obvious.

Milkshaker
04-26-2012, 08:16 AM
I don't think he misjudges the finish wire so much as he misjudges the fast-finishing competition. He seemed secure in the knowledge that he was home free.

illinoisbred
04-26-2012, 08:24 AM
Is this the same Carlos Marquez that several years eased up on a Michael Gill owned horse at Fair Grounds that was 5,6 lengths in front only to be caught at the wire? Think he got both a fine and a lengthy suspension on that occasion.

David-LV
04-26-2012, 12:37 PM
I just watched the replay and I don't know what more you want a jock to do, after going 47.79 in a mile race with a big lead with these type of horses, he hit the horse a dozen times and tried to nurse him to the wire as the horse was shorten his stride and just got beat a nose by a horse he did not probably see closing fast on the outside.

_______
David-LV

Run Nicholas Run
04-26-2012, 03:15 PM
I just watched the replay and I don't know what more you want a jock to do, after going 47.79 in a mile race with a big lead with these type of horses, he hit the horse a dozen times and tried to nurse him to the wire as the horse was shorten his stride and just got beat a nose by a horse he did not probably see closing fast on the outside.

_______
David-LV

he could put the stick away but he didnt even look back to see if he was
"homefree", at minimum hand ride through the wire.

AlbertButtry
04-26-2012, 03:23 PM

_______
David-LV

How about riding through the wire? You can't tell me him easing up on the horse didn't get it beat. It lost by half a nose.

cj
04-26-2012, 03:23 PM

_______
David-LV

Ride the horse out?

David-LV
04-26-2012, 03:32 PM
How about riding through the wire? You can't tell me him easing up on the horse didn't get it beat. It lost by half a nose.

If he had won by a half of a nose would this thread have been started?

Jockeys are only human just like us they sometimes make mistakes, in this case he thought he was home free with the big lead that he had so he got a little cocky.

_______
David-LV

cj
04-26-2012, 04:08 PM
If he had won by a half of a nose would this thread have been started?

Jockeys are only human just like us they sometimes make mistakes, in this case he thought he was home free with the big lead that he had so he got a little cocky.

_______
David-LV

Exactly, and I'm sure he'll be punished for it on top of losing out on the purse.