PDA

View Full Version : The USS Harvey Milk. Really?

DJofSD
04-25-2012, 05:07 PM
US Rep. Bob Filner (D-SD) wants the Navy to name a ship after Harvey Milk. (http://www.fox5sandiego.com/news/kswb-filner-calls-for-navy-to-name-ship-for-harvey-milk-20120424,0,7097200.story)

Where's Gilbert and Sullivan when you need them? Oops, never mind, here they are. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4dl5qHYOBas)

illinoisbred
04-25-2012, 05:15 PM
Can't imagine Twinkies will be available aboard the ship.

PhantomOnTour
04-25-2012, 05:16 PM
There's a USS Barney Frank joke in here somewhere...Tom! Tommmmm!

DJofSD
04-25-2012, 05:28 PM
Bridge to engine room: 100% power, ramming speed!

Jay Trotter
04-25-2012, 05:33 PM
I fail to see any issue with naming a ship after a former Navy Officer who fought for human rights and was killed while in office! :confused: Sounds like a noble gesture to me.

TJDave
04-25-2012, 05:39 PM
Never happen. I could see them placing a memorial plaque in "the head" though.

TJDave
04-25-2012, 05:43 PM
I fail to see any issue with naming a ship after a former Navy Officer who fought for human rights and was killed while in office! :confused: Sounds like a noble gesture to me.

Thanks for stating the obvious. You could've waited a few days so we could have had a little fun.

Mike at A+
04-25-2012, 05:50 PM
That's the USS Kentucky (otherwise known as "The KY").

elysiantraveller
04-25-2012, 05:55 PM
Thanks for stating the obvious. You could've waited a few days so we could have had a little fun.

I agree no problem with naming it after him...

But first the USS Brown Starfish.

DJofSD
04-25-2012, 06:01 PM
I wonder if the Navy will name a new sub for Harvey. Seems fitting.

Tom
04-25-2012, 07:42 PM

Give me few minutes. I'm up on the poop deck!

PaceAdvantage
04-25-2012, 07:56 PM
You guys really need to work on your material... :rolleyes:

Steve 'StatMan'
04-25-2012, 09:05 PM
"Why, that seaman reminds me of Milk"

Tom
04-25-2012, 09:18 PM
You guys really need to work on your material... :rolleyes:

Then mostie will have us all working for scale!

JustRalph
04-25-2012, 09:38 PM
Can't imagine Twinkies will be available aboard the ship.

I get ! I get it!!

BlueShoe
04-25-2012, 09:58 PM
So instead of Navy Gray the hull will be painted Lavender Blue and the bulkheads Pink? Instead of strong hot coffee, Fruit Juice will be available 24 hours a day?

DJofSD
04-26-2012, 07:04 AM
What, no umbrella drinks?

cj's dad
04-26-2012, 09:27 AM
A few random thoughts:

I hope the announcement over the PA " all hands on deck', comes across clearly.

Will the stern now be referred to as the "rear" ?

Will the term "Captains Mast" take on a whole new meaning ?

Tom
04-26-2012, 10:01 AM
I am steering clear of the Captain's dinghy! :eek:

mostpost
04-26-2012, 04:03 PM
02:30 Hours aboard a Russian Destroyer somewhere in the North Atlantic.

Lookout: Comrade Captain, there is an American vessel approaching off the starboard bow.

Captain: Yellow alert. Comrade lookout can you identify the vessel?

Lookout: One moment comrade captain. I Can almost make out the markings. Yes, It's (Chuckle-snort-snerkle) the USS :D Milk.

Captain: Comrade Lookout, do you want your next posting to be in Siberia?

Lookout. No comrade captain. Really that is the name. (snicker-snicker.

Captain:Stand down from alert. Oh, and put on that CD of American Show tunes.

delayjf
04-27-2012, 08:58 AM
I fail to see any issue with naming a ship after a former Navy Officer who fought for human rights and was killed while in office! Sounds like a noble gesture to me.

Because there are more deserving people to be given that honor - say for example Medal of honor winners. Heck Martin Luther King doesn't even have a ship named after him.

DJofSD
04-27-2012, 10:11 AM
Because there are more deserving people to be given that honor - say for example Medal of honor winners. Heck Martin Luther King doesn't even have a ship named after him.
He should.

Or maybe there should be a USS named like the one in Melville's "Billy Bud."

ArlJim78
04-27-2012, 10:26 AM
the USS Harvey Milk? I think it's fabulous.

Mike at A+
04-27-2012, 10:52 AM
Hey, they could kill two birds with one stone and call it the USS MiLK. Or if they want to adopt a New Orleans theme, the USS Chocolate Milk.

Marshall Bennett
04-27-2012, 12:49 PM
Had he not been gay, Id say no way. Special interest groups make the naming all sorts of things somewhat "special".
I wouldn't want to be stationed on it. What's the first thing that comes to mind when someone mentions the name? Who wants that unless of course you're gay.

highnote
04-27-2012, 01:38 PM
I think it's a great idea. In what other country could a military ship be named after a man who was a gay politician. France, maybe, but probably not Iran. If Iran had a ship named after a gay man it is not something that is likely to publicized in their country.

These are the kind of gestures that make the U.S. great and is why people want to immigrate here.

I'm sure there's a "Got Milk" joke in here somewhere, too.

Robert Goren
04-27-2012, 01:41 PM
Had he not been gay, Id say no way. Special interest groups make the naming all sorts of things somewhat "special".
I wouldn't want to be stationed on it. What's the first thing that comes to mind when someone mentions the name? Who wants that unless of course you're gay.That is point. He is being honored for being leader in the gay rights movement. The bigots don't like just as they didn't like a holiday being named after Dr. King.

Marshall Bennett
04-27-2012, 02:56 PM
That is point. He is being honored for being leader in the gay rights movement. The bigots don't like just as they didn't like a holiday being named after Dr. King.
I think there's a huge difference between having a holiday for King and naming a navy ship after Milk. What percentage of the navy is gay? What percentage of our armed forces are gay for that matter? Why not at least connect his name in some manner to an organization where gays are a factor. Perhaps I'm wrong and there are more gays in the military than it seems, but it sure doesn't appear that way openly.
You seem to use the term "bigot" quite freely as well. So anyone against having a naval vessel named "Milk" is a bigot?

Tom
04-27-2012, 03:08 PM
This whole thing just spreads intolerance.

delayjf
04-27-2012, 08:10 PM
The bigots don't like just as they didn't like a holiday being named after Dr. King.

I have no problem with MLK day - my only criticism is you could get more out of MLK day if it were in the month of Aug as opposed to January. But being a Gay Politician with a undistinguished military career does not in my opinion compare to a recipient of the Medal of Honor.

But while were having fun with it, I sure the USS Milk with be a select duty location for the newly out of the closet Gays now serving. I can just hear the Village People singing "In the Navy" at the ships christening - welcome to the love boat. :eek:

Let's Roll
04-27-2012, 08:41 PM
Milk violated Navy policy during the time he served. No one who does that should have a ship named after them.