PDA

View Full Version : Would you sell a share of the derby favorite?

School of Forego
04-25-2012, 02:26 PM
Unless you are generous to a fault it says only one thing. They have ZERO confidence and are going to stud. Probably right after the race. Think about it.:cool:

nijinski
04-25-2012, 08:57 PM
If you're talking about Bodemeister , not necessarily. Southern Equine (Morenos) , who bought an interest in him keep em racing too.
Of course there are some who get roughed up and injured in the Derby so
so unfortunately , could happen. Wouldn't say it's a given though. Also consider who sold the interest .

Fingal
04-25-2012, 11:24 PM
Didn't Zayat have money problems with Fifth Third bank & had to declare bankruptcy ? Money makes people do seemingly strange things.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2010-07-16/zayat-stables-exits-bankruptcy-with-undertaking-to-repay-debts-in-full.html

Producer
04-26-2012, 07:42 PM
Personally, I would definitely sell.

Every horse, regardless of class, is one bad step away from their racing careers being over, or worse. Unless money is no issue, it's makes sense to sell now.

PaceAdvantage
04-26-2012, 07:59 PM
Unless you are generous to a fault it says only one thing. They have ZERO confidence and are going to stud. Probably right after the race. Think about it.:cool:I've thought about it, and I don't agree...why did the original owners of Rachel Alexandra sell her? Did they have zero confidence? I highly doubt that...and history showed she went on to be 3yo filly champ and HOY...

Like a previous poster pointed out, history has also shown how even the best and most talented T-breds are one step away from a career ending injury...

Always get while the gettin' is good...especially in this game.

lamboguy
04-26-2012, 08:20 PM
from my own personal perspective, i would have to sell the horse. my reasoning is that i can get a horse to win a maiden race as well as anyone, but after that i am incapable of developing the horse further against the competition. the training programs that the big trainers have these days are second to none including myself. but they are very expensive programs, they cost as much as $10k per month, i spend about $1700 before the horse hits the race track and about $2500 once they are at the track.

turninforhome10
04-27-2012, 01:06 AM
Southern Equine also owns Better than Honour (Jazil and Rags to Riches momma)
Bodemiester seems to be the best son of Empire Maker has speed to go long and has an impeccable bottom side. Has definite stallion potential and with the mares that Southern Equine has Bodemiester has a big shot at having a big future.
Maggi Moss sold Peace Rules after he broke his maiden for 300k and when asked if she regretted it, "300k buys some nice claimers". I think she was owner of the year that year. Also saw a friend get offered 500k by one of the Shieks for his filly after she broke the track record, in her first start. He turned it down and ran her at CD against the boys and she bucked shins so bad she was never the same. "Strike while the iron is hot" is what I was always taught.