PDA

View Full Version : A QUESTON ON CLASS

HUSKER55
04-25-2012, 07:47 AM
if a trainer buys a horse for $8k and then enters it in a race where he gets a wight advantage of $500 per lb, does he have to enter that race for $10k on the next outing or can he can he enter it for $8k.

I thought trainers had to enter the horse at a higher class next out after the purchase so it would be a $10k race but will sell for $8k and enjoy a 4 pound advantage.

there was a guy at our watering hole who said that was not true.

Could someone clarify that.

Also, I have been trying to find a condition book on the internet and I don't seem to be finding what I want.

How are these conditions made up?

any help would be appreciated.

thanks guys!

turninforhome10
04-25-2012, 08:52 AM
if a trainer buys a horse for $8k and then enters it in a race where he gets a wight advantage of $500 per lb, does he have to enter that race for $10k on the next outing or can he can he enter it for $8k.

I thought trainers had to enter the horse at a higher class next out after the purchase so it would be a $10k race but will sell for $8k and enjoy a 4 pound advantage.

there was a guy at our watering hole who said that was not true.

Could someone clarify that.

Also, I have been trying to find a condition book on the internet and I don't seem to be finding what I want.

How are these conditions made up?

any help would be appreciated.

thanks guys!

If you mean claims a horse for 8k, you are talking about claiming jail. Not all jurisdictions follow this anymore. As competetative as it has been here for horseflesh lately many tracks make your horse stay at the meet. Some jursidictions still do make you run the horse for a higher tag price next start after claim. Always leary of the weight for money angle as sometimes this can be a negative sign.
All horses enjoy 4 lifetime winner condtions, then N1x,N2x,N3x, then condtions are by date or claiming price if the horse goes through the aforementioned lifetime condtions.

Here is the Equibase link to Horsemans area containing condtion books and overnighs. http://www.equibase.com/static/horsemen/horsemenarea.html?SAP=HDD

Consult your tracks website or racing authority for info on the claiming rules. http://www.racing.ny.gov/subchapterA_tb.php
They can also sometimes be clarified by consulting the Rules of Racing on the state's legal code website such as this http://www.pacode.com/secure/data/058/chapter163/chap163toc.html

All jursidictions are a ltittle different and a good understanding of the rules are a must. Hope this helps some.

HUSKER55
04-25-2012, 10:59 AM
THANK YOU FOR THE INFO!:)

Turkoman
04-25-2012, 12:47 PM
Turninforhome10:

While I've heard about the rule, I'm not very familiar with it. That's why I want to ask you a question. Is it true that if the trainer waits more than 30 days to enter the horse in a race after the claim, that he/she can do so for the same price? I forgot where I heard or read about that.

Turkoman

turninforhome10
04-25-2012, 01:35 PM
Turninforhome10:

While I've heard about the rule, I'm not very familiar with it. That's why I want to ask you a question. Is it true that if the trainer waits more than 30 days to enter the horse in a race after the claim, that he/she can do so for the same price? I forgot where I heard or read about that.

Turkoman
Here is the link for PEnnsylvania
http://www.pacode.com/secure/data/058/chapter163/s163.254.html
Reading the rules of PA one can understand why so many trainers take a shot at starters after the claim. Get out of jail free card and maybe get a check.
Again all jurisdictions are different
The best way that I have found to clear up all conjecture regarding the rules is to go the Web site for the state you are looking for and consult their state code regarding horse racing. It might take time but bookmark them and have a folder. Knowing the rules of racing can be an edge and listening to the wrong answer can be costly.

Turkoman
04-25-2012, 02:34 PM
Here is the link for PEnnsylvania
http://www.pacode.com/secure/data/058/chapter163/s163.254.html
Reading the rules of PA one can understand why so many trainers take a shot at starters after the claim. Get out of jail free card and maybe get a check.
Again all jurisdictions are different
The best way that I have found to clear up all conjecture regarding the rules is to go the Web site for the state you are looking for and consult their state code regarding horse racing. It might take time but bookmark them and have a folder. Knowing the rules of racing can be an edge and listening to the wrong answer can be costly.

Thank you very much. I appreciate your help.

Solid_Gold
04-28-2012, 03:31 PM
Look at Jamie Ness's runners. He claims them for say $5,000 and runs them right back for the same price usually. Heckuva winning percentage too!
He gets the purse and if the horse gets claimed away he gets the 5k too.
Can't lose proposition!
Helluva businessman, mo money,mo money and mo money!