PDA

View Full Version : Aqueduct selections: Sat., April 21

Teach
04-21-2012, 12:19 PM
"You can only take what the track will give you." Suffolk Downs racetrack tout, 1980.

"Have a good day (pause) at 'The Big A'" in my bestimitation of Aqueduct announcer TomDurkin's deep-throated style.

On this last Saturday of Aqueduct's winter-spring meet, here are mypicks for Saturday, April 21, 2012.

Race One:

In this short four-field, seven-furlongs allowance race, my pick is#4TwoSeventeenwithCoreyNakatani. This Bruce Levine-trained 3-year-oldcolt has solid breeding: Gulch and Deputy Minister. Thehorse has won once and finished second twice in his four lifetimestarts. The horse's connections
tried him on the lawn in his very first start last November, but hefinished off the board. However, in his next three starts he's hit thetote three times. This colt should adapt well to shortening up to seven furlongs after a group ofroute races. Thoughts on the other horses. #4 Star Harbour is logical but may be hard pressed to get theextra furlong. #5 Deluxe Package broke his maiden at sixfurlongs in hislast. and #1 Police Chatter is capable of mopping up in the tri.

Race Two:

#5 Armed Ndangerous is my choice in this hard-to-handicap,wide-open turf race. This 3-year-old Linda Rice-trained colt hasfinished second in his last two efforts at this distance on the lawn. Yes, the horse has been off for over fourmonths. Yet, he has a very good Palm Meadows Training Center worktab. He looks - from the frequency of his morning works - that he should be ready for hisfirst 2012 pari-mutuel start. The most capable Cornelio Velasquez isin the irons. Other horses to consider in both the second half of your early double andyour gimmicks are: #1A Imaspeedyguy; #4Knock Quietly; #7TrainingForSuccess; and #6 Mike And Rob.

Race Three:

#8 Raynick's Jet's running style should benefit the from outsidepost; he finished second two racesback. The horse compromised his chances of winning in his last race bylunging at the start. He then had to chase. He ended up finishing fifth. A cleaner tripwould help this horse's chances. Other horses to consider are: #1AToken Sacrifice. He's handled by the very capable CornelioVelasquez. #2 Metaurus was scratched out of last Sunday's "Tazered race"that was won byStreet Haven. #5 Max's First ran a creditable fourth in thiscompany two weeks ago and #3 Hopeful Boyfinished third in last week's Tazered race.

Race Four:

In the Northern Willy Stakes for fillies and mares, I like #2 MissValentine with Cornelio Velasquez (this could be his red-letterday). Yes, here's another horse who's been away from the races for nearly five months. Yet, he had a recent bullet work at the PaysonTraining Center where he drilled four furlongs in :48.1, breezing. When last seen at Aqueduct, this horse finished fifth in the Grade One, Gazelle. However, two months earlier, he did win the Moms Command;prior to that, he was second in the Grade 3, Monmouth Oaks. This well-bred filly has finished first four times and second four times in 11 lifetime starts. Christophe Clement is a most capable trainer. If you're looking to complete exotics, consider: #3 Bailzee, #4LadyGracenote, and #5 Risk A Chance.

Race Five:

I'm looking for value. In this difficult-to-get-a-handle-on race, I'm going with a first-time starter, #5 Missile Nick. Why? Hard to put my finger on it; yet, I like this horse's morning work tab. In his most recent work,this gelding went three furlongs, breezing, in :37.4, prior to that, hehad two other solid works that includes a :48 breezing from the gate. I don't know much about the Unadilla Stables (unadilla is an Iroquois word that means "meeting place"). However, I do know that one of the horse's breeders, Milfer Farm, Inc., also bred Spectacular Bid. In this field where's I find it hard to recommend too many horses, this first-timer might just break his maiden at first asking. The red-hot Eddie Castro rides for trainer Tom Bush. Others to consider are: #9 Pegasus Papou, and #2Cricky'sgoldeneyes.

Race Six:

My choice here is the outside horse, the first-time starter, #10Irish Moon with Kendrick Carmouche. The horse has been working outat Maryland's Fair Hill Training Center in preparation for his pari-mutuel racing debut. From the horse's array of bullet works, it looks as if someone were taking target practice with shotgun pellets. From the looks of his breeding, the colt might well have benefited from a wet surface. Yet,he's still most capable of winning on a fast track, as well. In addition,MikeTrombettais a very good trainer. He should have this horse ready. I certainly like him from an outside post rather than an inside one. My only concern isthat the horse might race greenly. Others worthy of consideration are: #9 Fair Trade (He finished fourth in his only race, but he wassteadied at the start. Look for improvement.) Also, #3 The Kenosha Kid (The horse finished fifth in his last, but he was going well at the end.) Finally, #2 The Snickers Kid (He's hit the board in all four of his races.).

Race Seven:

I like #4 Dodging in this turf race that's to be contested over the distance of a mile and one-sixteenth. This horse finished seventh inhis last race; yet, he was only three lengths off the winner in what turned out to be a blanket finish at Gulfstream Park about a month ago. The horse will appreciate the added distance (his last race was 7 and 1/2 furlongs). Jockey Eddie Castro draws the riding assignment; Bill Mott trains. The horse is - as is everyone else in this maiden race - winless, but he has hit the board in five of 9 career turf starts. Others to consider are: #11Rangey; and #10 Silver Skates.

Race Eight:

When #3 King Congie was last seen seven months ago, he was finishing second in the 250K Kent Stakes at Delaware Park in a race that was taken off the turf due to heavy rains. This Silver Deputy-bred ridgling is four for five, lifetime, on the weeds. He has two wins and two thirds. Prior to his Stanton, DE appearance, this well-traveled Tom Albertrani charge appeared in the Grade 3 Saranac at "The Spa" (he finished third); the Grade 2 Vadby at Colonial (he finished sixth); and The Preakness (he finished seventh to Shackleford). The horse has been training well for his return to the races. His most recent work at Palm Meadows a little over a week ago featured a five-furlongs bullet work in 1:01.2,handily. Others to consider are:#5Eternal Ruler and #1 Kentucky Reigns.

Race Nine:

My pick in the Grade 2 Jerome is the rail horse, #1 The Lumber Guy. This horse lastraced in the Wood Memorial two weeks ago; he finished fifth in a field of eight. In that race, the horse was gunned three-wide to the lead only to tire in the stretch. Now, the horse draws inside where Mike Luzzi can use his speed judiciously and run a tactical race whereby he stalks the front-runners and then pounces in the stretch. The horse should also take kindly to cutting back a furlong. Mike Hushion trains for this Barry Schwartz-owned grey/roan Gone West-bred colt. Looking back, the horse broke his maiden at first asking winning a six-furlongs sprint in a sizzling 1:10. He followed that up with a win in the Miracle Wood at Laurel. Despite a bobble at the start of that race, he won the seven-furlongs sprint 75K race by over four lengths in1:23.1. Others in the mix are: #3 Stirred Up; #7 Term Loan; and#4 Dan And Sheila

Race Ten:

My pick in Saturday's Aqueduct finale is #5 Headingtothecity. In this mile and one-sixteenth turf race, this horse figures to be closing in the stretch. He has hit the board in four of five starts on the lawn. His jock, Irad Ortiz, Jr., is most capable, so is his trainer, Dom Schettino. This horse won his last at Gulfstream at a mile and a sixteenth on the turf in a highlycreditable 1:42.2, that despite being checked on the turn. A smooth trip should be all that is necessary to put this lightly-raced 5-year-old gelding into the winner's circle. If you're playing gimmicks, consider: #10 Monastir and #4Kitten In May.