PDA

View Full Version : Olde tyme system : Based on 5 Angles - Does it ring a bell ?

BeatTheChalk
04-20-2012, 02:48 PM
Searching old boxes - Found a sales letter with the pitch. Must be over
20 years old. Can't recall if I bought it - but I recall that I was impressed
by the pitch. Something like 5 stay alive or 5 this 5 that.
So I am stuck. Anyone recall anything like this ? :bang:

Shemp Howard
04-20-2012, 07:29 PM
Searching old boxes - Found a sales letter with the pitch. Must be over
20 years old. Can't recall if I bought it - but I recall that I was impressed
by the pitch. Something like 5 stay alive or 5 this 5 that.
So I am stuck. Anyone recall anything like this ? :bang:

Walked into the old Garden State Park.

May 5, 1955.

5th race #5 "Five Till Five"

Odds 5-1

Walter Blum up, going for his fifth straight win on the card.

Bet $500 to win.

Horse ran 5th.

RaceBookJoe
04-20-2012, 10:06 PM
Yes it rings a bell but i can quite put my finger on it..but think i have it somewhere with a bunch of stuff my dad had. The name Ross keeps popping up in my head with this "5 Play". I will try to do some digging to see if i have it. I think one of the " 5's " had to do with days between races and possibly finishing either 5th or better and within 5 lengths. Wow, you are making me dust some cobwebs. haha rbj

That was quick, found it, just not sure its the one you are talking about. The one i have is by C.Ross called "The Fabulous Five". Let me know if thats it and i will type up the rules. ps: i wouldnt base my financial freedom on this one hahaha. rbj

BeatTheChalk
04-26-2012, 11:52 PM
oh yes !!!! one of my all time favorites -- in the race track humor dept :)
:jump: :p :ThmbUp: :jump: :lol:

Greyfox
04-27-2012, 01:51 AM
This is actually part 1 of a 2 part story.

At the Notre Dame Cathedral in France a job is open for a bell ringer.
A bishop advertises the job to ring the bell in the tower. The only job applicant is a hunchback with no arms.

Bishop: "How can you do the job? You can't pull the rope!"
Hunchback: "Don't worry I can do it."

So they climb the bell tower.
The hunchback runs and jumps at the bell, striking it with his forehead. Sure enough, he rings the bell.
So despite his misgivings, the bishop hired the hunchback to ring the bell. Every day the hunchback comes in and rings the bell by slamming his forehead into it.

One day, the hunchback decides to try to ring the bell louder. He goes to the farthest corner of the tower, and runs as fast as he can toward the bell. When he jumps up and hits it with his head, the bell rings clear and loud. Unfortunately, the hunchback hit the bell so hard he's a little groggy. He staggers around a bit, and falls out a window to the street below.

A crowd gathers around the hunchback's mangled body lying in the street; the bishop goes out to investigate the commotion.

A policeman arrives and again asks: "Who is this guy?"
The bishop replies: "I don't know his name, but his face rings a bell."