PDA

View Full Version : Where Are they Now ?????????????????

IRISHLADSTABLE
12-30-2003, 10:04 AM
After knocking on the door for several years trainer
Peter Ferriola finally claimed top honors as the leading
conditioner on the New York circuit in 1987.
Ferriola saddled 117 winners 8 in front on D Wayne Lukas.
Lukas turned the tables the following year winning 140
races to Ferriola's 135. Referred to as " Pistol Pete"
by the New York Racing fans Ferriola would regain supremacy
in 1991 beating Lukas again this time by 20 wins with a total
of 109. The following year ferriola saddled 149 winners.
This was the second highest total in N.Y. racing history
falling 7 wins shy of Frank Martin's record of 156 victories set
in 1974. Gasper Moschera finished second best that year
before going to to win the title the next 6 years .
"Pistol Pete " ran out of bullets in 2001 and went into
retirement. today he lives in Spring Hill Florida where he and
his wife help out of a neighoring farm.

Jimmy

Tom
12-30-2003, 10:07 AM
If a trainer is that talented, that he can get so much of horses, and is using only knowledge and legal methods, why do so many of these guys suddenly go cold and never recover?
I can see that the drug they were using suddenly has a test for it, but if they are using natural means, why does it stop working?
Inquiring minds want to know.
:confused:

andicap
12-30-2003, 09:37 PM
I've read that sometimes the track will "advise" the offending trainer to take his business elsewhere. This saves the track a scandal and the trainer the embarrassment of being suspended.

Or the track will tell the trainer they are on to them and the trainer suddenly goes cold. Remember Oscar Barrera.

kenwoodallpromos
12-31-2003, 01:35 AM
Coulld some reasons be= fire / more competition by trainers with rich owners / changes in weather or track surface / losing services of decent jockeys / refusing to modernize training styles / others catching on to the trainer's tricks, including doping?

so.cal.fan
12-31-2003, 11:02 AM
"I've read that sometimes the track will "advise" the offending trainer to take his business elsewhere. This saves the track a scandal and the trainer the embarrassment of being suspended.

Or the track will tell the trainer they are on to them and the trainer suddenly goes cold. Remember Oscar Barrera".

Years ago when Bud Delp had Spectacular Bid at Hollywood Park, he was "taking liberties", shall we say, Marge Everett was so disturbed about it, she reportedly told Delp to never show up in Calif. again. I guess it was true, because he never did.

I have also noticed over the years of being in Santa Anita's paddock area the entire day, that after the race, often horses will be brought back to the test barn........win or lose.......and if I ever notice that a certain trainer's horses are ALL being brought back....I look for a cold streak by that trainer.....real quick......I have never seen it not play out that way.