PDA

View Full Version : New Expert Handicappers

JimG
10-20-2001, 07:40 AM
I recently re-read this 1988 book by James Quinn. Has anyone else out there read it? I have always enjoyed books that detail a gamblers plan/trips to the track. Along with Beyer's 50,000 Year at the Races, this is one of my favorites.

I think it would be interesting to know what the handicappers (there were 14) that were featured in this book are doing today. There were a few well known names (Brohamer, Kaywood, Ruosso, Takach, Ron Cox) and some lesser known (Anton Hemm, Dan McDevitt, Erika Holderith) names in the book. At the time all were primarily win bettors.

I wonder among those that are still alive, how many still play the races with any regularity?

Jim

PS: Does anyone know who the "Kid" was in Beyer's book and does he still play the races, or did he go back to law school?

Figman
10-20-2001, 11:55 AM
Jim G:
"The Kid" in Andy Beyer's book is Andy Serling who this past Summer was a regular on the Capital OTB (Albany-Saratoga NY area) television network - TV-12, during the Saratoga meeting. He was the personality with the goatee. He also appeared frequently at Siro's at the DRF sponsored seminars.

superfecta
10-21-2001, 01:48 AM
If I remember right,the only one who interested me was the young player,Russo,I believe.He bet very little in relation to what he won,considering these people would bet thousands in a meet long series and would get an overall return in the neighborhood of three to one.I seem to remember Quinn and Brohamer were estatic to get that type of return .It beats losing,but it was a lot of work and betting 3000 bucks a meet is steep to me,but like I said ,its better than losing.
Reading this type of material just reinforces the notion I can succeed at the track.

anotherdave
10-21-2001, 11:58 AM
I liked that book too. The one that most interested me was Frank Romano. It said he bet flat $2000 to win once or twice a day. Seemed so professional to me.
Now if I could just manage to skip 1 or 2 races a day!

JimG
10-25-2001, 10:04 AM
You guys hit on two of the players that really fascinated me as well...Ruosso and Romano. Ruosso used to give daily analysis at National Turf Seminar for the So Cal races but his is no longer listed there.

I believe I read where Romano does an occasional seminar on the west coast with Quinn and/or Brohamer. Wonder if Romano still plays the high rolling strategy. Alot has changed with repect to betting since the late 80's.

Jim

JimG
10-25-2001, 10:05 AM
Originally posted by Figman
Jim G:
"The Kid" in Andy Beyer's book is Andy Serling who this past Summer was a regular on the Capital OTB (Albany-Saratoga NY area) television network - TV-12, during the Saratoga meeting. He was the personality with the goatee. He also appeared frequently at Siro's at the DRF sponsored seminars.

Thanks for the information. Wonder if he is still a player or just a TV personality?

Jim

Richard
11-04-2001, 10:10 AM
Lee Russo was definitely one of the standouts in Dr.Quinn's book.A couple of times in the Eighties I attended a couple of Lee's pre-raceday seminars that he conducted at David Copperfields restaurant at the Santa Anita Mall(just caddycorner from the infamous track).Does anyone know if he still does these seminars?Any reply would be greatly appreciated.

takeout
11-06-2001, 05:09 AM
The last thing I heard was from an Expo tape in '93. He had married and was living in Seattle, WA. He said he had been living there for 3 years and that he got the videotapes of the races FedExed to him once a week along with the track programs. It sounded like business as usual in spite of the distance factor. I don't have any idea what he's doing now. I don't think he was at the Expo last year.

Topcat
11-10-2001, 11:14 PM
JimG:

Excellent suggestion. i think it would make an interesting read. If anyone has uinn's email address
maybe thy should pass it along.
TC

JimG
11-11-2001, 07:33 AM
Topcat:

I think Quinn is affiliated with the www.turfpedia.com website. Probably an e-mail there would get to him.

With regards to Ruosso, he was handicapping for National Turf Seminar out of California until 2000. Have not heard about him since then. Interesting in the book, Ruosso talked about how much he detested touts. Then he became one.

JimG

so.cal.fan
11-11-2001, 02:12 PM
Joe Takach is at the track everyday in So. Calif.

JimG
11-11-2001, 08:27 PM
Takach must have moved his tack from Pha Park...where he was playing when the Quinn book was written.

Wonder if he is a player or just makes money touting and selling material on body language?

JimG

so.cal.fan
11-11-2001, 10:47 PM
Takach does both. He has been in So. Cal. for several years now.
He is at the track everyday, and from what I can see, he bets his own money on his opinion.
He has a Southern California Horses to Watch weekly report.
He provides information on layoff horses, shippers, etc.
Also equipment, such as bar shoes, that the DRF does not provide us, here in So. Calif.
His service is used mostly by horsemen and bettors who rely on condition of their bets on raceday.