PDA

View Full Version : The Magnificent Mind of a Political Genius

bigmack
04-17-2012, 03:10 PM
What have I been saying for over a year? That's right, BO is doomed.

Hallelujah, Brothas & Sistas.

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u70/macktime/GallupPresidentialElectionTrialHeatResultsBarackOb amavsMittRomney.png
That's Gallup, Mostposties.

mostpost
04-17-2012, 03:41 PM

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u70/macktime/GallupPresidentialElectionTrialHeatResultsBarackOb amavsMittRomney.png
I missed the part where they now hold the election in April instead of November.

lamboguy
04-17-2012, 03:49 PM
I missed the part where they now hold the election in April instead of November.
you may not be able to vote yet, but you can sure as hell lay down your money and bet. if you think ROMNEY is going to win, you can get him as an underdog right now. that seems like a steal according to this poll.

bigmack
04-17-2012, 03:57 PM
Just one in long list of issues you're clueless on.
What's he going to do to turn this around, the Buffett rule? :lol:

QaG2Acg8n60

Robert Goren
04-17-2012, 07:10 PM
you may not be able to vote yet, but you can sure as hell lay down your money and bet. if you think ROMNEY is going to win, you can get him as an underdog right now. that seems like a steal according to this poll.If you have access to making that wager. It is highly unlikely that anyone posting here has a problem with betting a pretty likely winner at good odds. That is great thing about gamblers, they put their money where their mouth is when they sure it is good wager and they can afford it. It is bit early to be betting the election. you'd have your money tied up to long.

Robert Goren
04-17-2012, 07:13 PM
When Satorum quit, Romney got a dead cat bounce in the polls.:rolleyes:

TJDave
04-17-2012, 07:13 PM
If you have access to making that wager. It is highly unlikely that anyone posting here has a problem with betting a pretty likely winner at good odds. That is great thing about gamblers, they put their money where their mouth is when they sure it is good wager and they can afford it. It is bit early to be betting the election. you'd have your money tied up to long.

Have a friend who bet serious money on Bush 41 right after the 1st gulf war.

A sure thing...Couldn't miss... :rolleyes:

Rookies
04-17-2012, 08:04 PM
The Gold standard is this and this only: http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2012/president/us/general_election_romney_vs_obama-1171.html

And accompanied by this one :
http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2012/president/obama_romney_favorable_unfavorable.html,

even with all the problems- STILL plus for the Prez!

GameTheory
04-17-2012, 08:12 PM
The last prez to be re-elected with an approval rating below 50% in April was Truman -- and Obama is at 49%...

acorn54
04-17-2012, 08:35 PM
i am not sure the polling methods have kept up to date with the technology.
when truman beat dewey despite what the pollsters predicted, using telephone inquiries, the saying went, they were wrong on their prediction because only republicans had phones.
somewhat similiar today in that the younger generations often do not have landline telephones, and do not watch television.

Rookies
04-17-2012, 09:17 PM
Romney has 2 principal negatives now:

1) Despite the Approval Ratings for the job, the President holds a 9 point average Favourability Rating and Romney's is -8.

2) Women favour the Prez by about 12 points.

Looking at the 'in flux' states, I believe the President will take: Nevada, Colorado, PA, VA, Fla and be right here in OH & NH.

Waaaay more than enough. ;)

boxcar
04-17-2012, 09:40 PM

You know....you're very rarely right on anything you post, but you're dead on the mark with this one. Congratulations. :jump:

Boxcar

Steve 'StatMan'
04-17-2012, 09:44 PM
I'm mighty certain Obama will carry California. I'm not so sure he will carry IL. Might still carry the major city vote, but don't expect the small towns and rural vote to go his way this time.

elysiantraveller
04-17-2012, 10:41 PM
Even CNN hopping on the Romney bandwagon for now...

Romney #s Up and Trending (http://www.cnn.com/2012/04/17/politics/campaign-wrap/index.html?hpt=hp_t2)

If Romney is able to frame the discussion for the election this is going to be a brutal contest. Hopefully, the Obama Administration keeps pushing brilliant policy gimmicks like the Buffet Rule, Romney and his veteran staff should have a field day with those....

Obama is in a lot of trouble if he attempts to use his gimmick policies as a justification for his "fairness" mantra this election. He is digging his own hole. It will be interesting to see how good he is on the campaign trail as a known commodity...

johnhannibalsmith
04-17-2012, 11:02 PM
Is there a poll out there that gives some perspective of what percentage of people are actually undecided and likely to vote?

Damn, it just seems to me that the lines have been drawn and damn near everyone that I know that cares enough about anything to actually vote has been pretty sure if it's for Obama or against Obama for long enough that nothing in the interim really even matters.

NJ Stinks
04-17-2012, 11:19 PM

The key to this poll is "among registered voters".

I'm not registered.

NJ Stinks
04-17-2012, 11:23 PM
Even CNN hopping on the Romney bandwagon for now...

Romney #s Up and Trending (http://www.cnn.com/2012/04/17/politics/campaign-wrap/index.html?hpt=hp_t2)

If Romney is able to frame the discussion for the election this is going to be a brutal contest. Hopefully, the Obama Administration keeps pushing brilliant policy gimmicks like the Buffet Rule, Romney and his veteran staff should have a field day with those....

Obama is in a lot of trouble if he attempts to use his gimmick policies as a justification for his "fairness" mantra this election. He is digging his own hole. It will be interesting to see how good he is on the campaign trail as a known commodity...

Disagree with you. Most people don't even think it's debatable. Tax rates are too low on the rich. People believe it even if they know the Buffet Rule had no shot of passing.

elysiantraveller
04-17-2012, 11:31 PM
Disagree with you. Most people don't even think it's debatable. Tax rates are too low on the rich. People believe it even if they know the Buffet Rule had no shot of passing.

The Buffet Rule is political grandstanding by a administration that has absolutely no idea what to do... its more diversion and less solution.

If passed the Buffet Rule will increase tax revenue by 1.6% and thats a high estimate. So you pass it... what have you accomplished... honestly?

How much time has Obama spent discussing it? Is it proportional to the 1.6% an increased revenue it might provide?...

I think I've made my point as well as the one Romney is going to make...

The Buffet Rule, just like the old Job's Law, has no shot at passing because it accomplishes absolutely nothing.

bigmack
04-17-2012, 11:32 PM
Polls of likely voters are the key and they swing Mitt, big. That is, those who said they are definitely voting. Many of those other polls are just, "Who would you vote for today?" without much in the way of qualification.

As we all by now, LaHispanics run socially conservative. Also, any of you think Hispanics aren't pissed-off the jobs went away are nuts.

Find a quiet time for yourselves and ask - What in the woild does BO have to run on?

I know it's early but these numbers are not at all good for El Presendente. I'm stunned no one else is willing the see the inevitable.

johnhannibalsmith
04-17-2012, 11:37 PM

Find a quiet time for yourselves and ask - What in the woild does BO have to run on?

The same thing he's been running on for the last four years - any regrettable utterance by the opposition that can be sculpted into a cause that he'll get behind. This will be a long few months of manufactured outrage about some new statement every other day.

boxcar
04-18-2012, 12:20 AM

You have to be kidding with that question, right? How 'bout: It's Bush's fault"? :rolleyes: But he'll run on that old standby and all the numerous excuses he has offered in the recent past, owning no responsibility for anything.
In BO's mind, this election will be 2008 all over again.

Boxcar

bigmack
04-18-2012, 02:01 AM
In BO's mind, this election will be 2008 all over again.

Good. Same with Axelrod. They're doomed.

The choice in this election,” said Axelrod, “is between an economy that produces a growing middle class and that gives people a chance to get ahead and their kids a chance to get ahead and an economy that continues down the road we are on.”

Oops, did I say that? David Axelrod admitted that we aren’t better off than four years ago.

Of course, the overseer of the “road we are on,” the man whose policy it has been to intervene directly and repeatedly in the economic affairs of the American people, is Obama.

If the election in November is a referendum on “an economy that continues down the road we are on,” with 66 percent of the American people telling pollsters they think the country is on the wrong track, Obama will lose. This isn’t a line of argument Obama and his people want to pursue. So why did Axelrod say it?

I’d guess it was a moment of weakness. As Shakespeare’s Henry IV said, “The wish is father to the thought.”

Axelrod’s mind-boggling description of the current reality — in which, he said, “A fewer and fewer number of people do very well, and everybody else is running faster and faster just to keep pace” — suggests he desperately wishes he and Obama were back in 2008.

That was the year of “Yes, we can,” and “We are the change we have been looking for,” not a year in which he’ll have to ask for a second term after nearly four years of his own national stewardship.

Axelrod knows how to run Obama as the candidate of change. His words suggest he doesn’t know how to run Obama as the candidate of the status quo.

Who can blame him? He’s been dealt a difficult hand.

BhkcpiwembE

OTM Al
04-18-2012, 09:00 AM
The Gold standard is this and this only: http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2012/president/us/general_election_romney_vs_obama-1171.html

And accompanied by this one :
http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2012/president/obama_romney_favorable_unfavorable.html,

even with all the problems- STILL plus for the Prez!

Actually the gold standard isn't an actual poll. Iowa Electronic Market, year in and year out best predictor in elections.

Robert Goren
04-18-2012, 09:29 AM
i am not sure the polling methods have kept up to date with the technology.
when truman beat dewey despite what the pollsters predicted, using telephone inquiries, the saying went, they were wrong on their prediction because only republicans had phones.
somewhat similar today in that the younger generations often do not have landline telephones, and do not watch television.I actually worked in a Gallop call center for 6 weeks in 2008. It was a block from I live. We always called landlines and got hung up on well over 90% of the time. We started by asking a political question as a tease. The entire interview would take about 20 minutes. Most of the time even the people who started would hang up about 7 or 8 minutes in. It was a goal orientated place. The goal was to get 2 full interviews a shift. Almost nobody averaged that. Of ten people that started the same time I did 6 left before I did. I was told by one long time employee that I could last 3 months, I would be there for 5 years. I didn't make it. I personally take their polls with a grain of salt. But that just me. The political polls are probably pretty accurate for people with landlines. Most the people who don't hang up right away stick around for the demographic questions. I wouldn't trust the stuff on products very far though.

ArlJim78
04-18-2012, 11:33 AM
I said way back in the first term, back during all the euphoria that he would be a one termer and that both houses would also flip parties. this election will be a referendum on Obama. the undecided/centrists or whatever you want to call them, when it comes time to make up their minds will not break for Obama. only the dimmest of bulbs will want to experience a second term for this fraud. the big story about this election will be how bad his defeat will be. everyone is predicting that he'll win or it will be a nailbiter. I don't think so.

the bad news is dealing with the wreckage of his presidency.

Greyfox
04-18-2012, 11:42 AM
the bad news is dealing with the wreckage of his presidency.

Wreckage? What wreckage? He's only plunged the nation

$5,027,761,476,484.56 deeper in debt than it was 39 months ago.

If you want to see real wreckage, just re-elect him.

More on debt at : http://cnsnews.com/news/article/5-trillion-man-debt-has-increased-under-obama-502776147648456

mostpost
04-18-2012, 11:52 AM
Wreckage? What wreckage? He's only plunged the nation

If you want to see real wreckage, just re-elect him.

More on debt at : http://cnsnews.com/news/article/5-trillion-man-debt-has-increased-under-obama-502776147648456
That $5,027,761,476,484.56 [size=2] was caused by:
1. Paying off the war debt that George W. Bush did not pay.
2. Bailing out the Banks. Which started under GWB.
3. Rescuing the auto companies.
4. A drop in tax revenues created by the recession, which was caused by George W. Bush and the rest of the Republicans. You guys drove the bus off the cliff and now you're complaining about the cost of repairs.
5. Artificially low tax rates which also led to a drop in revenue.

The article which you linked to states that the debt increased by [COLOR=Red][SIZE=5]$4,899,100,310,608.44 under George W. Bush. Bush did not pay for his war. He did not have to bail out the banks. He did not have to rescue the auto companies. He did lower the tax rates and he did cause revenues to drop.
ETA: I am not sure how all that got in red, only the $ amounts were supposed to be red. :blush:

bigmack
04-18-2012, 01:24 PM
There he goes with "false numbers" again.

Can anyone recommend appropriate medication for Mostie?

Ronald Reagan debt
from $2.29 trillion to $4.82 trillion
$2.53 trillion increase over 8 years
$316 billion / year

George H W Bush debt
from $4.82 trillion to $6.54 trillion
$1.72 trillion increase over 4 years
$430 billion / year

Bill Clinton debt
from $6.54 trillion to $7.38 trillion
$0.84 trillion increase over 8 years
$105 billion / year

George W Bush debt
from $7.38 trillion to $11.17 trillion
$3.79 trillion increase over 8 years
$474 billion / year

Barack Obama (measured) debt
from $11.17 trillion to $15.57 trillion (March 21)
$4.40 trillion increase over 3 years, 2 months
$1,390 billion / year

SV-xPS5-GxE

GameTheory
04-18-2012, 01:24 PM
I actually worked in a Gallop call center for 6 weeks in 2008. It was a block from I live. We always called landlines and got hung up on well over 90% of the time. We started by asking a political question as a tease. The entire interview would take about 20 minutes. Most of the time even the people who started would hang up about 7 or 8 minutes in. It was a goal orientated place. The goal was to get 2 full interviews a shift. Almost nobody averaged that. Of ten people that started the same time I did 6 left before I did. I was told by one long time employee that I could last 3 months, I would be there for 5 years. I didn't make it. I personally take their polls with a grain of salt. But that just me. The political polls are probably pretty accurate for people with landlines. Most the people who don't hang up right away stick around for the demographic questions. I wouldn't trust the stuff on products very far though.Gallup interviewed me once -- about beer. I think they sent me an envelope with $2 in it -- either before the interview as a incentive to actually do it, or afterwards as a thank you, can't remember. I have hung up on a few after I realized it was going to take a while. That's the main trouble if they don't do it -- they need to tell you up-front it is going to take X amount of minutes. If you think you're going to get asked a few questions that will take 2 minutes, and then you realize it is going to drag on and on you're either going to hang up or get so angry that you will just start lying to avoid thinking about the questions. In any case, I don't have a landline anymore...

boxcar
04-18-2012, 01:34 PM
Good. Same with Axelrod. They're doomed.

Yeah, I heard Axelrod's statement on the radio. Another guy who can't quite get the lie out the way he meant. Instead, he actually had an honest moment. :D Afterward, the WH said the honest moment was "mistake". :lol:

But Axe's comments did reveal the mindset of the WH. Obama won't be running on his record. Therefore, it'll be 2008 all over again inside BO's little coconut.

Boxcar

Robert Goren
04-18-2012, 02:22 PM
Gallup interviewed me once -- about beer. I think they sent me an envelope with $2 in it -- either before the interview as a incentive to actually do it, or afterwards as a thank you, can't remember. I have hung up on a few after I realized it was going to take a while. That's the main trouble if they don't do it -- they need to tell you up-front it is going to take X amount of minutes. If you think you're going to get asked a few questions that will take 2 minutes, and then you realize it is going to drag on and on you're either going to hang up or get so angry that you will just start lying to avoid thinking about the questions. In any case, I don't have a landline anymore...If they told you up front how long it going to take, nobody would agree to do it. A good poll taker can coax you along for quite a while. You have to be a con man to do that job. That and a thick skin and no conscience.

bigmack
04-18-2012, 02:27 PM
If they told you up front how long it going to take, nobody would agree to do it. A good poll taker can coax you along for quite a while. You have to be a con man to do that job. That and a thick skin and no conscience.
Guy couldn't hack it as a telephonic question axer so he calls those that did, con people, lacking conscience. :lol:

mostpost
04-18-2012, 04:42 PM
There he goes with "false numbers" again.

Can anyone recommend appropriate medication for Mostie?

Ronald Reagan debt
from $2.29 trillion to $4.82 trillion
$2.53 trillion increase over 8 years
$316 billion / year

George H W Bush debt
from $4.82 trillion to $6.54 trillion
$1.72 trillion increase over 4 years
$430 billion / year

Bill Clinton debt
from $6.54 trillion to $7.38 trillion
$0.84 trillion increase over 8 years
$105 billion / year

George W Bush debt
from $7.38 trillion to $11.17 trillion
$3.79 trillion increase over 8 years
$474 billion / year

Barack Obama (measured) debt
from $11.17 trillion to $15.57 trillion (March 21)
$4.40 trillion increase over 3 years, 2 months
$1,390 billion / year

SV-xPS5-GxE

I posted the numbers given by Greyfox and CNS. If they are false blame them.
The ratios are similar.

Greyfox
04-18-2012, 05:00 PM

Those are the figures reported by CNS.

Mostie, you make it sound like Bush didn't pay the military expenses. He did.
Obama chose to continue to bail out the banks.
Obama chose to stand with the Union re: General Motors. Other auto companies did not ask for bailouts.

Where in those 39 months did Obama cut expenses? He cut back on NASA when they didn't come up with enough knee bending to Persia re: the historic insights of the Arab world. That's one cut.
In the meantime his green initiatives re: Volta (General Motors chev), Solyndra, and others have been flops for the most part.
He said that he would go through the budget line by line for earmarks and other stuff. The fact is he hasn't even produced a budget that is acceptable to anyone but himself.
In the meanwhile, housing prices have plummeted, the job market is weak,
the American dollar is worth no where near what it was in 2008.
Something like 43 cents in on every dollar in Revenue goes towards paying the interest on the debt.
The fact is Obama has mortgaged your grand-children's and their children's future. Give him 4 more years and America will be on the verge of bankruptcy.
None of this bothers Obama though.
He sees himself as a citizen of the World first, and ashamedly an American second. Apparently his Dad previously held those views too, but I won't bother to post the source for that. It's clear to me that the apple didn't fall far from the tree.

bigmack
04-18-2012, 05:01 PM
I posted the numbers given by Greyfox and CNS. If they are false blame them.
The ratios are similar.
How on earth are you assuming I'm busting your balls on numbers?

Not because you want to deflect. :D

Here's the issue, Capt. Dishonest.

That $5,027,761,476,484.56 [size=2] was caused by:
1. Paying off the war debt that George W. Bush did not pay.
2. Bailing out the Banks. Which started under GWB.
3. Rescuing the auto companies.
4. A drop in tax revenues created by the recession, which was caused by George W. Bush and the rest of the Republicans. You guys drove the bus off the cliff and now you're complaining about the cost of repairs.
5. Artificially low tax rates which also led to a drop in revenue.

What's all that garbage? One on hand you waltz around bragging that the banks and auto Co's paid back all the money, making BO a GENIUS.

How does that square with you saying it contributed to the debt, caused by Walker Bush? Besides x2, if the money was paid back it wouldn't count as debt.

Again, try and get a grip on the exponential level of your bias before you proclaim to post, what you dishonorably pass off as, "the facts."

GameTheory
04-18-2012, 05:16 PM
If they told you up front how long it going to take, nobody would agree to do it. A good poll taker can coax you along for quite a while. You have to be a con man to do that job. That and a thick skin and no conscience.That's a good way to get dishonest answers.

mostpost
04-18-2012, 07:16 PM

Those are the figures reported by CNS.

Mostie, you make it sound like Bush didn't pay the military expenses. He did.
Obama chose to continue to bail out the banks.
Obama chose to stand with the Union re: General Motors. Other auto companies did not ask for bailouts.

Where in those 39 months did Obama cut expenses? He cut back on NASA when they didn't come up with enough knee bending to Persia re: the historic insights of the Arab world. That's one cut.
In the meantime his green initiatives re: Volta (General Motors chev), Solyndra, and others have been flops for the most part.
He said that he would go through the budget line by line for earmarks and other stuff. The fact is he hasn't even produced a budget that is acceptable to anyone but himself.
In the meanwhile, housing prices have plummeted, the job market is weak,
the American dollar is worth no where near what it was in 2008.
Something like 43 cents in on every dollar in Revenue goes towards paying the interest on the debt.
The fact is Obama has mortgaged your grand-children's and their children's future. Give him 4 more years and America will be on the verge of bankruptcy.
None of this bothers Obama though.
He sees himself as a citizen of the World first, and ashamedly an American second. Apparently his Dad previously held those views too, but I won't bother to post the source for that. It's clear to me that the apple didn't fall far from the tree.

Bush went to war while lowering taxes and cutting no expenses. He listed war spending as special appropriations, not as part of the budget. Obama put them back in the budget.

Obama chose to continue bailing out the banks because it was the only choice he had. Not just the financial institutions, but the economy as a whole would have collapsed.

If by supporting the union in the GM case you mean Obama was trying to save jobs, then yes he was supporting the union. Funny thing is he supported the union by saving the car companies. GM is now having its best year in decades. Obama supported the union in making concessions to the company. :rolleyes:

Spending cuts? Try these.
http://money.cnn.com/2012/02/13/news/economy/obama_budget_cuts/index.htm

$359M from EPA
452M from energy assistance.
$217B in farm subsidies.
$487B on Defense
$366B on Medicare, Medicaid and Social Security.
The last three are over a ten year period. The first two are for one year I think, but I am not certain.

The Obama budget satisfies anyone who does not think rich people should get even bigger tax breaks.

Provide me with proof that Obama considers himself an American second.
If your proof comes from one of those wacko sites like CNSnews, don't bother.

Home prices have plummeted because they were artificially inflated.
http://www.ritholtz.com/blog/2011/04/case-shiller-100-year-chart-2011-update/
Prices were relatively stable from 1945 to 200o. Then they soared due to the deregulation of the commodities market and the desire of financial institutions to make money off of fraudulent securities.

The so called weak job market is much better than four years ago.

Greyfox
04-18-2012, 08:20 PM
Provide me with proof that Obama considers himself an American second.
If your proof comes from one of those wacko sites like CNSnews, don't bother.

I haven't got time or interest in looking up all of the times that Obama has apologized for America. But....this was easy to find:

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2072/2224082953_1900a89da7.jpg

mostpost
04-18-2012, 09:02 PM
I haven't got time or interest in looking up all of the times that Obama has apologized for America. But....this was easy to find:

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2072/2224082953_1900a89da7.jpg

That is your proof? He doesn't (or didn't) put his hand over his heart during the playing of the National Anthem. Neither do I. A lot of people don't. Everyone does not have to do what you do.

As for apologizing for America, I remember a lot of those posts. Most of them involved things we should be apologizing for. To say otherwise would be arrogance of the highest order. Bowing to a king, the monarch of a sovereign nation is courtesy not kowtowing.

boxcar
04-18-2012, 09:21 PM
That is your proof? He doesn't (or didn't) put his hand over his heart during the playing of the National Anthem. Neither do I. A lot of people don't. Everyone does not have to do what you do.

As for apologizing for America, I remember a lot of those posts. Most of them involved things we should be apologizing for. To say otherwise would be arrogance of the highest order. Bowing to a king, the monarch of a sovereign nation is courtesy not kowtowing.

Only bottom feeders who hold the U.S. Constitution in contempt, as Obama obviously does, would not think of following protocol or etiquette to the flag of the U.S. He's so quick to show respect to everything un-American and to every non-American but not to the U.S. flag?

Pledge of Allegiance and National Anthem

When reciting the Pledge of Allegiance, all present should stand at attention facing the flag with their right hand over their heart, with the exception of those in uniform who shall salute.
When the national anthem is played or sung:

Designation: The composition consisting of the words and music known as the Star-Spangled Banner is the national anthem.
Conduct During Playing: During a rendition of the national anthem:
When the flag is displayed:[13]
individuals in uniform should give the military salute at the first note of the anthem and maintain that position until the last note;
members of the Armed Forces and veterans who are present but not in uniform may render the military salute in the manner provided for individuals in uniform; and
all other persons present should face the flag and stand at attention with their right hand over the heart, and men not in uniform, if applicable, should remove their headdress with their right hand and hold it at the left shoulder, the hand being over the heart; and
when the flag is not displayed, all present should face toward the music and act in the same manner they would if the flag were displayed.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Flag_Code

Boxcar

elysiantraveller
04-18-2012, 10:46 PM
Only bottom feeders who hold the U.S. Constitution in contempt, as Obama obviously does, would not think of following protocol or etiquette to the flag of the U.S. He's so quick to show respect to everything un-American and to every non-American but not to the U.S. flag?

Pledge of Allegiance and National Anthem

When reciting the Pledge of Allegiance, all present should stand at attention facing the flag with their right hand over their heart, with the exception of those in uniform who shall salute.
When the national anthem is played or sung:

Designation: The composition consisting of the words and music known as the Star-Spangled Banner is the national anthem.
Conduct During Playing: During a rendition of the national anthem:
When the flag is displayed:[13]
individuals in uniform should give the military salute at the first note of the anthem and maintain that position until the last note;
members of the Armed Forces and veterans who are present but not in uniform may render the military salute in the manner provided for individuals in uniform; and
all other persons present should face the flag and stand at attention with their right hand over the heart, and men not in uniform, if applicable, should remove their headdress with their right hand and hold it at the left shoulder, the hand being over the heart; and
when the flag is not displayed, all present should face toward the music and act in the same manner they would if the flag were displayed.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Flag_Code

Boxcar

Interesting...

Might be a midwest thing then... a lot of people up here don't do that but just stand at attention arms held the way Obama is or behind them. Thats how I stand too.

Didn't even know that.

Greyfox
04-18-2012, 10:52 PM
Interesting...

Might be a midwest thing then... a lot of people up here don't do that but just stand at attention arms held the way Obama is or behind them. Thats how I stand too.

Didn't even know that.

The way Obama is posed and postured is hardly described as "standing at attention" anywhere on this planet.

boxcar
04-18-2012, 11:48 PM
Interesting...

Didn't even know that.

Or it might be a blue state thing.

Boxcar

toetoe
04-20-2012, 10:53 AM

[/SIZE]

I am much more pessimistic. If you pull this off, if you prevent the syndication of 'Urkel and Friends' for four more years --- why, I'll send you my Mattel (TM) Horse Race Analyzer ... gratis.

GameTheory
04-20-2012, 11:16 AM
In school when I was a little kid for the Pledge of Allegiance we'd put our hands over our heart.

The only time I've ever been anywhere they played the National Anthem was at baseball games at Tiger Stadium -- generally saw a mix of just standing straight up and some with hands over hearts, which seemed to be predominately older folks (and this was in the 70s and early 80s). No one ever told me to put my hand on my heart -- just to stand up and take off your hat if you had one.

Robert Goren
04-20-2012, 11:31 AM
My dad was decorated WWII vet and a commander of the local American Legion never put his hand over his heart during the National Anthem. Maybe you want question his patriotism too? You guys must be pretty hard to find something to criticize Obama if you are making a big deal over something that some vets don't even do.

Greyfox
04-20-2012, 11:51 AM
My dad was decorated WWII vet and a commander of the local American Legion never put his hand over his heart during the National Anthem. Maybe you want question his patriotism too? You guys must be pretty hard to find something to criticize Obama if you are making a big deal over something that some vets don't even do.

Tell us what would your Dad think if he were alive of the way Obama is standing in that picture and his apologizing for America around the world?

GaryG
04-20-2012, 12:46 PM
Bowing to a king, the monarch of a sovereign nation is courtesy not kowtowing.What do you call it when he bows to the mayor of Tampa?

http://assets.nydailynews.com/polopoly_fs/1.198420!/img/httpImage/image.jpg (http://assets.nydailynews.com/polopoly_fs/1.198420!/img/httpImage/image.jpg)

elysiantraveller
04-20-2012, 02:25 PM
In school when I was a little kid for the Pledge of Allegiance we'd put our hands over our heart.

The only time I've ever been anywhere they played the National Anthem was at baseball games at Tiger Stadium -- generally saw a mix of just standing straight up and some with hands over hearts, which seemed to be predominately older folks (and this was in the 70s and early 80s). No one ever told me to put my hand on my heart -- just to stand up and take off your hat if you had one.

Apparently, according to Boxcar, it's because you are from a blue state....

elysiantraveller
04-20-2012, 02:28 PM
Tell us what would your Dad think if he were alive of the way Obama is standing in that picture and his apologizing for America around the world?

Really? It's come to criticizing how a guy stands...?

Tom
04-20-2012, 02:46 PM
What do you call it when he bows to the mayor of Tampa?

He knows his place?
He knows his betters?
He likes boobs?
He is still on automatic pilot?

Greyfox
04-20-2012, 03:35 PM
Really? It's come to criticizing how a guy stands...?

That was just one example of Obama viewing himself as being a citizen of the world first and America second.
So yes....it does come to criticizing how a guy stands.
The photo was taken when he was still seeking the nomination to be President.
It shows four people - three of whom seem to be showing patriotism, the fourth looks like a guy standing in line at the bank. That would be "he."
Obama was giving us a clear snapshot of his attachment to the U.S. traditions and values right on that stage. People who didn't notice it were in denial, or youths who could give a damn about tradition anyways.

Reasonable people usually have their behavior match the circumstances about them.
For instance, belly laughs at most funerals are "not on" during prayers.
Time in and time out, Obama has shown that his patriotic allegiance to America is very forced.
He has apologized to various foreign countries for America's previous actions.
For a period after the election Obama would not wear a flag pin (Stars and Stripes) in his suit.
Then he's got a wife who took until over 40 years of age to admit that
"For the first time in my adult life I'm really proud of my country."
Imagine that.
He's married to a woman who's been proud of her country once in her adult life, and that's only after her husband was elected.
Does that surprise you?
Does it surprise you that he fraternized with a bomber? or attended a church for 20 years with a Minister who shouted "God Damn America."
Does it surprise you that if he wrecks the economy, America's military-industrial complex is decreased in power?
Does it surprise you that his energy policies have weakened Homeland Security?
Do you think that isn't all tied to a man who's already shown you his patriotism on a stage by standing as though he were waiting for a bus or a bank teller while the anthem was being played.

So yes....how he is standing in the picture does say a lot about his attitude.

You'd have a hard time convincing me that the Obamas aren't more committed to worldly matters more than domestic affairs. Their behavior betrays them if you watch carefully.

riskman
04-20-2012, 04:09 PM
Greyfox post is right on. Over the term of his presidency I have had this knot in my gut , this uncomfortable feeling and tried to explain it to my peers and family without success. You nailed it. Obamas" career would have been better
suited as an ambassador to the UN but not representing the USA. There he fits in and perhaps he will get a chance to pursue this area in 2013.

Tom
04-20-2012, 09:25 PM
Obama's career would have been if he had been a doorman at the Ambassador Hotel! :lol: