PDA

View Full Version : Owning a pacer/trotter

precisionk
04-16-2012, 01:00 PM
Curious if anyone on here owns a pacer or a trotter. I'd like to hear how it is owning one of these horses. One day, I hope to get in on the game, but always am intrigued by the stories of ownership I have heard both good and bad.

DeanT
04-18-2012, 02:57 PM
It's pretty decent and less costly than owning a thoroughbred. They also race very often so that works out well.

precisionk
04-18-2012, 06:28 PM
It's pretty decent and less costly than owning a thoroughbred. They also race very often so that works out well.

How many do you own Dean? Have you made any money from it? What is roughly your weekly costs? If you wouldn't mind speaking a bit more about it. Maybe breaking it down on what costs what.

lamboguy
04-18-2012, 06:41 PM
How many do you own Dean? Have you made any money from it? What is roughly your weekly costs? If you wouldn't mind speaking a bit more about it. Maybe breaking it down on what costs what.
i own a mare that i have bred for 3 years. the horses race in the maine sire stakes. the mare is decent and i have the same trainer that the announcer of NYRA TOM DIRKIN has. one of my foals ran 3rd in the the final, the second one didn't race at 2 and third one will run this year. so far i am out about $35k on the whole package with the jury still out on the 2yo this year. it cost me about $15k to get the horse to its first race. i can get a thoroughbred to the first race for about the same thing.

jimnancy
04-19-2012, 10:50 AM
I am involved in a harness partnership. It allows me own a small percent (5% or 10%) of a horse. You only pay 5 or 10% of the training cost and it also alows me to be involved with more than one horse. For me it's better to own %10 of a 40k horse than 100% of a 4k horse. There are many partnerships that you can find by searching online.

This is a great way for first time owners to find out about race horse ownership.

Jim

RaceTrackDaddy
04-19-2012, 10:54 AM
Have not owned myself any but have lived vicariously through my friends stables over the years. Have had my picture taken in the winner circle many times over the years and it is a joy that all owners desire.

The most important thing about ownership is your trainer. When first starting out, you are at risk to losing much money if you are not smart. My friends were fortunate in that some of them grew up in the sport and used their family to get their start in the business.

I believe a trainer that is most interested in the welfare of the horse is one that I seek. Others would seek those trainers that only want to win at all costs. You have to seek out a trainer who will have the same beliefs as you.

There is a lot start up costs and the monthly bills can add up. If you use only those funds that you set aside for other hobbies or excesses in life, you will go far. Now if you use those funds that would be going to the mortage or kids education, then I suggest to stay a gambler and wait for the big score before entering.

It can be a rollercoaster of emotion when you buy a horse. I will leave you with a quote from a friend who posted this in the Pandy Group some years ago:

"Owning race horses is a commitment, like getting married. :)
Gambling is just an affair.".....Mark Benvenga (8.30.03)

I couldn't agree more.

rtd

precisionk
04-19-2012, 11:09 AM
Thanks for the info so far gents.

RTD, how successful have you friends been in owning horses. Profitable?

RaceTrackDaddy
04-19-2012, 11:33 AM
Depends upon which years you look at. Some years they did well as they tended to pick up horses at the sale that met certain conditions in earnings so they could be entered in the Late and Early Closer Series at the track.

Other years they lost money due to injury or accidents. Case in point is Marie Pat (no longer racing but breeding now). She was purchased after her two year year by my friends. They owned her until they took her to sale and the breeder of her bought her back for breeding purposes. She has two offspring that I can recall, Striking Pat and Striking Joe.

Anyway, Marie won the Late Closer Series named after another friend of mine who owned and race Sabtatoge Kosmos. See the page I created back in 2004 for them :
http://bobbyzpicksattheraces.horizon-host.com/pictures/sabatogekosmos.htm

She worked her way up the class ladder and eventually had to face the open boys. She did win against them in 1:57 and a piece as I recall. They had a decision to make, that is to race her at the Meadowlands or send her north to race in Canada. The part owner/trainer Bill had success with Canada before so she shipped north. Once there, The MacArthurs took care of her. She refused the starting gate in her first start up there and broke in her 2nd hurting her right hind leg in the process. It was a disaster. She made money and it was enough to offset the others in the stable at the time so it was the good times. Upon her return from Canada, she was to race very seldom afterwards. She never regained total healing in that leg and my optioned to sell her at the sale as a broodmare... Can't recall the numbers correctly, but she have very little on her race card in earning when purchased at the sale for about 12 or 13k manybe less...its been years. They got back 9k at the sale for her. She earned her keep and could of still been racing if healthy.

Marie was a pleasure to be around and she had a huge heart to match her body frame. She had early speed but was at her best making a first over move to the front as she got her legs into gear. I miss the old girl. After racing, we would head up to the barns and she how she came out of it. She loved her peppermint candy treats after racing. Marie was a trotter and full brother to a few who raced at the Meadows. It was fun see her win in one race and her brother Jeff complete the other end of a pick-3..

For every great story there is a few bad ones. Let us face it, this is flesh and blood going miles at top speeds over a long career. Stuff happens and it is often bad. You have to enjoy the good times more and forget the bad ones if you are to survive in this game. Don't have a thin skin as it will be a tough road. Very few enter and leave richer than they started. If you decide to become your own boss and train your own like Bill did when he retired from the Chemical Plant, you could make a nice life for yourself. But as an owner who pays all the bills and sits upstairs and watches, you need cash to exist in this sport. It costs money for everything from stalls, training, equipment, feed, hay, insurance (depending on the value of the investment or not), Vet Bills, transportation if shipping is involved from track to track , etc. It can add up and hurt if your horse is not earning his keep.

Think positive and enjoy the sport. Making money isn't everything but it sure helps.

precisionk
04-19-2012, 11:41 AM
Depends upon which years you look at. Some years they did well as they tended to pick up horses at the sale that met certain conditions in earnings so they could be entered in the Late and Early Closer Series at the track.

Other years they lost money due to injury or accidents. Case in point is Marie Pat (no longer racing but breeding now). She was purchased after her two year year by my friends. They owned her until they took her to sale and the breeder of her bought her back for breeding purposes. She has two offspring that I can recall, Striking Pat and Striking Joe.

Anyway, Marie won the Late Closer Series named after another friend of mine who owned and race Sabtatoge Kosmos. See the page I created back in 2004 for them :
http://bobbyzpicksattheraces.horizon-host.com/pictures/sabatogekosmos.htm

She worked her way up the class ladder and eventually had to face the open boys. She did win against them in 1:57 and a piece as I recall. They had a decision to make, that is to race her at the Meadowlands or send her north to race in Canada. The part owner/trainer Bill had success with Canada before so she shipped north. Once there, The MacArthurs took care of her. She refused the starting gate in her first start up there and broke in her 2nd hurting her right hind leg in the process. It was a disaster. She made money and it was enough to offset the others in the stable at the time so it was the good times. Upon her return from Canada, she was to race very seldom afterwards. She never regained total healing in that leg and my optioned to sell her at the sale as a broodmare... Can't recall the numbers correctly, but she have very little on her race card in earning when purchased at the sale for about 12 or 13k manybe less...its been years. They got back 9k at the sale for her. She earned her keep and could of still been racing if healthy.

Marie was a pleasure to be around and she had a huge heart to match her body frame. She had early speed but was at her best making a first over move to the front as she got her legs into gear. I miss the old girl. After racing, we would head up to the barns and she how she came out of it. She loved her peppermint candy treats after racing. Marie was a trotter and full brother to a few who raced at the Meadows. It was fun see her win in one race and her brother Jeff complete the other end of a pick-3..

For every great story there is a few bad ones. Let us face it, this is flesh and blood going miles at top speeds over a long career. Stuff happens and it is often bad. You have to enjoy the good times more and forget the bad ones if you are to survive in this game. Don't have a thin skin as it will be a tough road. Very few enter and leave richer than they started. If you decide to become your own boss and train your own like Bill did when he retired from the Chemical Plant, you could make a nice life for yourself. But as an owner who pays all the bills and sits upstairs and watches, you need cash to exist in this sport. It costs money for everything from stalls, training, equipment, feed, hay, insurance (depending on the value of the investment or not), Vet Bills, transportation if shipping is involved from track to track , etc. It can add up and hurt if your horse is not earning his keep.

Think positive and enjoy the sport. Making money isn't everything but it sure helps.

Great story Bob! Thanks for the info. For now, I will be waiting for that "big" score as you mentioned earlier. My wife and son have a deathgrip on my wallet right now, so buying a horse as of today is just a pipe dream! :D

RaceTrackDaddy
04-19-2012, 11:49 AM
Thank you Mr Trifecta! Smart move with the kid and all...

Only a few days left before the games begin! This time next week the pp's will be out for Sat nite at Yonkers.....still choppin' at the bit here.

cecil127
04-19-2012, 11:43 PM
like jimnancy im in on a piece of a 3 y/o pacer. she missed winning her (2y/o) sire stakes finals by about a neck...2nd by a fraction of an inch. but third still pays nice in a $250+K final. she raced a few times last year and picked up a check in all but 1 and that was won by American Jewel so ill let that one slide;) ....she earned her keep in her freshman campaign and to me thats saying something with all the $ spent for: stakes payments/trainers/shipping/vet/blacksmith/vitamins/stall fee/equipment rental/drivers/hyberbaric chamber treatments (i wish i was making this chit up but im not!) etc....
i was in on a $10K claiming trotter that raced at the meadows a while back but was sold at just the right time...made a lil there and figured id take another (longer) shot.
i enjoy it....keeps me from going nuts at the windows:D

DeanT
04-22-2012, 10:15 AM
Sorry for late reply.

It depends on where you race, usually. I bought a couple of yearlings this year in eastern Canada where I spend some time. Bills are practically nothing and you race to have some fun, and the participants do as well.

At Woodbine or in PA or Yonkers, your bills are more ($3000-$4500 all in) a month. However, I see Real Nice made $100,000 over the last four weeks..... I think you need a good horse like him ! :)

I've never made money at it. It's been more of a hobby is all, just like horse owning generally is. I won't go to supertrainers as well. Just my preference. Been around too long.