PDA

View Full Version : Teach's Search For Bargains at "The A & P"

Teach
04-15-2012, 12:18 PM
Aqueduct: Sunday, April 15

Race One: #7 Skips Prospect was last seen at Belmont last fall in allowance company. Now, over five months later, this Skip Away-bred filly drops in for a tag. As Artie Johnson might have said:"Verrry Interesting!" The filly has hit the board three times in nine starts. Linda Rice is a most capable trainer. Has the layoff helped? Or hurt? I'm leaning toward the former. Others to consider are: #5 Wet One, #8 Silent Joy, and #1 Simple Exchange.

Race Two: #1 War Colony is my tepid pick in a wide-open claiming sprint. This Pleasant Colony-bred gelding was coming on in the stretch in this same company last time. The inside post could be a detriment; yet, the horse should be able to swing wide in the stretch. Chris Englehart has been a hot trainer; J J Castellanos is a high percentage jockey. Others in the mix are: #6 Blind Hope, #10 Indigene Charm, and #12 Rico Capote.

Race Three: This looks like "an inside job". The three horses I like are: #3 Arthur's Tale #2 Eighttofasttocatch; and #1 Inherit The Gold. If I were to choose, I'd lean toward #3 Arthur's Tale. Yes, the horse has been away from the races for over four months. That having been said, I see this 4-year-old A P Indy-bred colt as the class of the field. Last year, as a 20-1 shot, the horse finished second inthe Wood Memorial. Thomas Albertrani is a very capable trainer; he should have this horse ready for his return to the races. Looking for another horse to complete the dime super? #5 Isn't He Perfect.

Race Four: I like #5 Tizfirst in this mile and one-sixteenth turf race. This is a well-bred filly. Her Storm Cat breeding on her dam's side speaks well to her ability to perambulate on the weeds. The filly finished third on the turf in stakes company last year as a two-year old. J J Castellanos has been a hot jock over the past week; he's brought home nearly 40% of his mounts. #2 Normative Appeal would appear to be the main threat. Also, #9 Quick Turn and #6 Smart Cash.

Race Five: I know this will come as a "shocking" development but I believe the obvious choice is vulnerable. My choice iin this race is #2 Metaurus. The horse finished second in his last as he drifted out under left-handed urging. A smoother trip can put this horse in the winner's circle. The main threat is #8 Tazered. He beat my top choice the last time these two met in late March. This is obviously the horse to beat, yet there is speed inside of him in the form of #7 Hopeful Boy. Could a speed duel develop? Another horse to consider is #10 No Questions.

Race Six: If he draws in, #13 Eurokay By Me is my pick in this New York State-bred fillies and maries turf race. The filly was bumped at the start and still finished third in a most recent effort. Otherwise, #4 Margaret Lilian, #11 Cozy App, and #6 City Scamper.

Race Seven: #6 Dynavision has a first and second in three starts. He won at first asking at Tampa earlier in the year. His second race, a month later, saw him finishing up the track. However,this filly rebounded to finish second at 16-1 in her last. In a wide-openrace, I see her chances here are as good as any. #3 Caught By You appears to be the main threat. Others in the mix are: #5 Karma Police; and longshot, #7 Lucy Stragmore.

Race Eight: I'm going to try for some value with #2 Sovereign Default. The horse won his last about a month ago. He's been either first or second in four of his six lifetime tries. The Alan Garcia- Rich Violette combo is a formidable one. Others worthy of consideration are: #3 Viscount, #4 Gallant Fields and #5 Golden Gulch.

Race Nine: Yes, the last race on the card. A wide-open affair with a case that can be made for and against several horses. I'm going to go for value. It's hard to quantify. I'm picking a trainer whose horses haven't won a race and a jockey who's only won one race. The horse in question in this state-bred maiden claimer is #1 Touch of Royalty. Yes, Taylor Hole has won only one race and owner-trainer, Gabe Goodwin, has yet to saddle a winner, but... Well, the horse did finish third in this company last time. That after going five-wide and rallying in the stretch. If the horse gets a better trip... Anyway, nothing ventured, nothing gained. Others who are probably slightly more logical are: #10 Outlaw Cody Z ; #4 Pogonia; and longshot, #9 Pegasus Emerald.

PhantomOnTour
04-15-2012, 12:22 PM
Maybe #6 Star Vesta can take them all the way in the opener at Aqu, but 4-1 is too low a price for me...was15-1 ML

Robert Fischer
04-15-2012, 01:36 PM
Maybe #6 Star Vesta can take them all the way in the opener at Aqu, but 4-1 is too low a price for me...was15-1 ML

good call. Had that one mapped out and then felt the same way today.

PhantomOnTour
04-15-2012, 03:27 PM
Beware George Weaver on the turf at Aqu..he's got two bombs here in R6.
I prefer the 9

Thx Robert