PDA

View Full Version : Gas-off

raybo
04-14-2012, 10:27 AM
Tomorrow, April 15th, is a "gas-off" day. Get your gas today, and don't buy on ounce tomorrow.

GameTheory
04-14-2012, 12:06 PM
Tomorrow, April 15th, is a "gas-off" day. Get your gas today, and don't buy on ounce tomorrow.
Sorry, but a totally pointless gesture.

raybo
04-14-2012, 12:27 PM
Sorry, but a totally pointless gesture.

Only pointless because people don't want to inconvenience themselves by not buying gas on that day.

GameTheory
04-14-2012, 12:31 PM
Only pointless because people don't want to inconvenience themselves by not buying gas on that day.Pointless even if everyone does it. What is the point?

http://www.snopes.com/politics/gasoline/nogas.asp

raybo
04-14-2012, 01:06 PM
Pointless even if everyone does it. What is the point?

http://www.snopes.com/politics/gasoline/nogas.asp

Ok, so you think that if enough people don't buy gas, on the same day, it will have no negative effects on the petroleum industry, or the retail sellers of gas? It won't send a message to that industry or our government?

That's like saying that if all truck drivers refused to deliver their loads on the same day, it would have no effect on our economy.

I suppose you think we should just sit back and keep paying higher prices, and just think "Oh well, there's nothing I can do about it". That's like saying "Why should I vote? My vote doesn't make any difference."

Of course it's not the solution to the problem, but we do have a voice, if we choose to speak. Would you rather call your political leaders, Representatives and Senators, and speak to them? Good luck with that.

Go ahead and buy your gas tomorrow, we wouldn't want to inconvenience you.

Tom
04-14-2012, 01:12 PM
0 sales Sunday.
Double sales Monday.

Everyone KNOWS we are not going to reduce our usage of gas.
We just buy it on a different day.

raybo
04-14-2012, 01:34 PM
0 sales Sunday.
Double sales Monday.

Everyone KNOWS we are not going to reduce our usage of gas.
We just buy it on a different day.

You're missing the point. The point is speaking out and not just sitting back and doing nothing.

As long as we keep buying gas, no matter what the price, we are telling the powers that be that they can keep raising prices with no adverse effects to them.

Never mind, I should have known better than to mention something like this to a bunch of people on a horse racing board.

I guess I'll just go ahead and fill up my vehicle tomorrow, just like you guys. My problem is I'm not used to losing, at anything. Sorry if you're satisfied with somebody taking your money from you and giving you nothing in return for it.

GameTheory
04-14-2012, 01:44 PM
Ok, so you think that if enough people don't buy gas, on the same day, it will have no negative effects on the petroleum industryNot if they just buy it on some other day. You should be calling for no one to DRIVE on a certain day, and to *never* make that trip, i.e. actually reduce demand. Shifting it by one day does nothing.

or the retail sellers of gas?Possibly would hurt them, as they make much of their money from non-gas products, but again if you just shifted days it wouldn't really matter. It would probably raise some owners blood pressure for a couple days if they *thought* it was significant -- maybe you could even get a couple of the more frail of them to literally drop dead -- that would teach them! What really matters to them is how often you visit -- if you fill up a bit today and a bit on Monday instead of all on Sunday that could actually help them (if you also buy a coffee). But why you would you want to hurt a gas station owner I can't imagine -- do you think they control the price of oil?

It won't send a message to that industry or our government?Oil is a global commodity -- what are they supposed to be doing exactly? (The highly regulated American component of the oil industry). The government is another matter -- half the price of gas is taxes, and they could also do some things with energy policy that would have an effect -- simply threatening to use our reserves has been known to prod the Saudis to increase production and lower oil prices. They could allow new refineries, etc. But again, how not getting gas on Sunday will get that to happen is beyond me.

Don't worry, I won't be inconvenienced in any case and won't be getting gas on the 15th, or today, or all of next week likely. Maybe even not the week after. I buy gas once a month, maybe. So I guess I'm really sticking it to them, eh?

raybo
04-14-2012, 01:55 PM
I already said I give up, you guys have all the answers already anyway, maybe I'll just start buying gas once a month like you. Problem is, I have no way of storing all that gas for a month at a time, and I'm getting old and it's getting hot down here, those long walks to Walmart, and the grocery store, and doctor visits at the VA in Dallas, etc., are gonna be tough, don't want to have a stroke or heart attack.

But if we can get everyone to do that, maybe that would be better than the gas-off.

JustRalph
04-14-2012, 03:14 PM
Speak out by voting for Romney

But you're in Texas. It probably wont matter.

Jay Trotter
04-14-2012, 04:47 PM
Not trying to pile on.....but, if everybody just doesn't buy gas on the one particular day and fills up the day before or is able to get by until the day after; and at the same time doesn't change their gas consumption habits, there will be no effect.

If a majority of people actually decreased their consumption by 1/7th (14.2%) for that same week combined with not buying on the one particular day in that week, that would make make a statement. If they continued to do it every week for several months, then it might be noticed and make an impact.

Just one man's opinion -- I just hope we can keep religion out of it! :ThmbUp:

raybo
04-14-2012, 05:30 PM
Never mind. If I could delete this thread I would. Waste of time.

Jay Trotter
04-14-2012, 06:14 PM
Never mind. If I could delete this thread I would. Waste of time. I'm not going to buy gas tomorrow to support the cause. :ThmbUp:

TexasDolly
04-14-2012, 08:00 PM
We won't buy gas tomorrow either, I doubt it will get sufficient attention to help a lot but it is a step in the right direction.
TD

bigmack
04-14-2012, 08:04 PM
I like to support efforts but does this include passing gas as well? I'm not entirely certain I can 'hold-off' an entire day>

lsbets
04-14-2012, 08:07 PM
I like to support efforts but does this include passing gas as well? I'm not entirely certain I can 'hold-off' an entire day>

I couldn't hold off one hour.

fast4522
04-14-2012, 08:30 PM
You're missing the point. The point is speaking out and not just sitting back and doing nothing.

As long as we keep buying gas, no matter what the price, we are telling the powers that be that they can keep raising prices with no adverse effects to them.

Never mind, I should have known better than to mention something like this to a bunch of people on a horse racing board.

I guess I'll just go ahead and fill up my vehicle tomorrow, just like you guys. My problem is I'm not used to losing, at anything. Sorry if you're satisfied with somebody taking your money from you and giving you nothing in return for it.

That is it, I am with you and shall not buy gas, but was not planing on it anyway. You see Ray, you fail to mention "the powers to be" by name, in their last annual meeting they talked of higher gasoline prices and the recession needed to last longer for their long term objectives. So I am with Ralph on this one, Romney is the best play.

Tom
04-14-2012, 11:17 PM
R6dm9rN6oTs

hcap
04-15-2012, 01:21 AM
I like to support efforts but does this include passing gas as well? I'm not entirely certain I can 'hold-off' an entire day>Don't be modest. Just avoid posting for one day :cool:

NJ Stinks
04-15-2012, 03:42 AM
Never mind. If I could delete this thread I would. Waste of time.

You convinced me, Ray. No gas purchase by me tomorrow.

Of course, my car uses diesel but still....I'm not buyin'. Period. :ThmbUp:

HUSKER55
04-15-2012, 03:51 AM
Good to see you have a sense of humor hcap...good one :D

elysiantraveller
04-15-2012, 09:33 AM
If I owned a gas station and knew about this I would attempt to gouge you a little on Monday...

Just saying... :)

PaceAdvantage
04-15-2012, 02:52 PM
Never mind. If I could delete this thread I would. Waste of time.Why so touchy?

Do you think people are chiming in with negative comments just to bust balls?

Or might you stop for a moment and think that maybe what they are saying actually makes sense?

Doing something just for the sake of doing it isn't always productive.

Tom
04-15-2012, 03:07 PM
Everyone pull your car next to a pump and OCCUPY!!!