PDA

View Full Version : Dealing with Burnout

sq764
12-28-2003, 10:57 PM
I am in a weird predicament right now.. I am profiting nicely of late and seem to be in a good handicapping groove.. BUT.. I am also getting burnt out.

I know something is weird when I am at the OTB winning money and am just not in the mood to stay there.. Maybe I need some time off.. Any thoughts?

shanta
12-28-2003, 11:53 PM
I WENT THROUGH THIS ABOUT 3 -4 MONTHS AGO. I TOOK 2 WEEKS COMPLETELY OFF . NOTHING TO DO WITH RACING AT ALL!
HAD THE SAME FEELING AS YOU ARE HAVING NOW. WHEN I WAS AT THE TRACK I ALWAYS FELT LIKE I DIDNT WANT TO BE THERE. WANTED TO BE SOMEWHERE ELSE.THE BREAK REALLY HELPED ME IN THE LONG RUN.
HAPPY HOLIDAZE
RICHIE:)

kenwoodallpromos
12-29-2003, 01:44 AM
If this happens again during consistent winning, here is my RX= Take 2 dimes and call me in the morning- prior to the races with the picks!!LOL!! Seriously, you need a little more variety. Try online games or writing letters- to politicians, editors, or complaints to corporations.

Dick Schmidt
12-29-2003, 02:03 AM
SQ,

Know the feeling oh so well. What I have done in the past, and am doing for this year, is find another way to invest money that uses the skills built up handicapping, but presents a completely different challenge to master. I chose to start investing in commodities, but many other fields would do. Right now I'm getting a little bored with getting up at 6 AM, so I may move back to horses. Or something else. The thing is to keep life new and interesting while also making a buck. Surprisingly, the skills needed to beat the races are very transferable. Look around and see if there isn't some other mountain to climb using the same tools you already have.

Good luck. Who knows, after looking around you may find that racing takes on a new appeal.

Dick

Who is easily bored.

lousycapperII
12-31-2003, 01:23 PM
Originally posted by sq764
I am in a weird predicament right now.. I am profiting nicely of late and seem to be in a good handicapping groove.. BUT.. I am also getting burnt out.

I know something is weird when I am at the OTB winning money and am just not in the mood to stay there.. Maybe I need some time off.. Any thoughts?

Why not stay at home and use the internet or the phone to place your bets instead of the track or OTB? That way you won't become addicted to watching the ponies run around in circles... BORING. Isn't this game all about making money by betting on them OR IS IT SOMETHING ELSE? *MTCW*

-LCII

Fastracehorse
12-31-2003, 01:39 PM
The OTB is a very ugly place.

Drunks, perrenial losers, smoke, dirty, sub-par tellers, line-ups, etc.. Even winning doesn't mask that reality.

Racing is taxing period - it takes alot of dedication which brings up problems and stresses in our personal lives.

So, the environment is a hell for both our mental and physical beings.

Try playing at home - you might like a controlled AND HEALTHY ENVIRONMENT.

And if you think you might be lonely, think again next time you hang with the losers at the track - not all are losers but 80 % are.

fffastt

sq764
12-31-2003, 02:14 PM
I play from home a lot, the majority of time.. I have to get out once or twice a week to Delaware Park to take it all in.. I enjoy the drunks (I am one :-)... I enjoy seeing a few guys I know there, getting taken care of by the waitstaff, etc..

(And if you heard my wife yelling at me for being on the computer so much, you might rethink tagging my house as a 'healthy; environment!! :-)

dav4463
12-31-2003, 02:24 PM
Play at home, make your wife put on a little waitress outfit and serve your beer ! Then you can pick up the waitress after the races are done !

Tom
12-31-2003, 05:45 PM
Originally posted by dav4463
Play at home, make your wife put on a little waitress outfit and serve your beer ! Then you can pick up the waitress after the races are done !

Hilarious!:D

lsbets
12-31-2003, 05:55 PM
dav,

I'll suggest that one tomorrow - actually i think i would like a french maid serving me drinks - i'll tell you when the black eye clears up after i suggest it

sq764
12-31-2003, 06:27 PM
Ok, before you married men go digging yourself a grave, keep in mind Dave is single!!! :-)

Fastracehorse
12-31-2003, 06:47 PM
<(And if you heard my wife yelling at me for being on the computer so much, you might rethink tagging my house as a 'healthy; environment!! :-)

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I know what you are saying - but at least she knows where you are.

Happy New Year.

fffastt

JustRalph
12-31-2003, 06:56 PM
my wife loved the idea........ after all she was a waitress when I met her..............17 years later and I am still chasing the waitress.......

dav4463
12-31-2003, 07:51 PM
Some of these thoughts of mine are probably why I am still single !!! I took a date to the track one time, propped her up at the bar and didn't see her for a couple of hours....true story...I ran into a friend, started talking horses, hit a nice trifecta and I completely forgot about my date who I left sitting at the bar !

brdman12
01-01-2004, 11:05 AM
Sooo true about the otb sites. I have been to several in my area and some are better than others. However, its not just the smoke and people who work there. (most employees working there that I know hate their job) Its the guy screaming at his horse to get the lead out...it comes in...he's yelling at his great victory....and cashes in his $2.00 to show ticket.
I do actually enjoy myself if I stay only once in a while. I walk in, place my bets and leave. The rest of the day is mine. After reading this PA this past year I have decided to look into online services. Only way to go i guess. Time to take the plunge.