JustRalph
04-11-2012, 07:03 PM
What would you do?

I would shoot it down

boxcar
04-11-2012, 07:18 PM
What would you do?

I would shoot it down

So, would I. Besides, how can a little target practice hurt?

Boxcar

canleakid
04-11-2012, 07:36 PM
target practice is GOOD ;)

Greyfox
04-11-2012, 08:29 PM
Question: Where does North Korea get the $$money to build this missile?

Question: Where did North Korea get the $$money to build a nuclear bomb.

Answer:

I don't know the answer. The general North Korean populace is poorly fed. Their economy is lousy.
My mind suspects that Iran has funded both projects - the bomb and the missile. This could be a joint project. While America looks at North Korea, I'd suspect that Iran is coordinating this operation.

Israel has to be very concerned if that is the case.

elysiantraveller
04-11-2012, 08:55 PM
I wouldn't do anything. We can't shoot it down with high probability anyway...

boxcar
04-11-2012, 09:26 PM
I wouldn't do anything. We can't shoot it down with high probability anyway...

All the more reason to sharpen our shootin' skills. Practice makes perfect and all that good stuff.

Boxcar

elysiantraveller
04-11-2012, 09:45 PM
All the more reason to sharpen our shootin' skills. Practice makes perfect and all that good stuff.

Boxcar

Its virtually impossible. Trying and failing would be both an embarrassment and waste of money.

Tom
04-11-2012, 09:46 PM
Shoot it down on the launching pad.

Tom
04-11-2012, 09:49 PM
What a high-tech hell hole N Korea is.

bigmack
04-11-2012, 09:51 PM
Its virtually impossible. Trying and failing would be both an embarrassment and waste of money.
Oh for heaven's sake, how in the world do you state these patently false statements. "Virtually impossible"

One thing I'll agree on... We could, we have the capability, but we could miss and it would be an embarrassment.

* Is this where we get into a battle of links showing our 'missile blasting' or lack thereof, capabilities? Don't botha. I could crush you with data.

boxcar
04-11-2012, 09:52 PM

Tens of Billions are wasted on Medicare abuses and faud alone, and you're worried about one missile shot? :rolleyes:

Boxcar

elysiantraveller
04-11-2012, 09:56 PM
Oh for heaven's sake, how in the world do you state these patently false statements. "Virtually impossible"

One thing I'll agree on... We could, we have the capability, but we could miss and it would be an embarrassment.

* Is there where we get into a battle of links showing our 'missile blasting' or lack thereof, capabilities? Don't botha. I could crush you with data.

We don't really have the capability to intercept a missile while its in its boost phase. AEGIS and BLOC are meant to take on offensive incoming systems not those leaving the atmosphere.

The only real option is destroying it on the launcher, as Tom said, which is an act of war.

Greyfox
04-11-2012, 09:56 PM
Of course the military can shoot it down.
If the U.S. doesn't have the capability to knock down 1 rocket, 99.99 % of the time, the nation is in huge trouble.

Robert Fischer
04-11-2012, 09:57 PM
If they launch a satellite, the technology is the same as the defense technology.

elysiantraveller
04-11-2012, 10:07 PM
Of course the military can shoot it down.
If the U.S. doesn't have the capability to knock down 1 rocket, 99.99 % of the time, the nation is in huge trouble.

We can knock down hundreds of missiles.... as they are coming in. Not going out.

By shooting it down you are asking our missile, which is designed to stay within the atmosphere, to win a foot race with one designed to leave it.

bigmack
04-11-2012, 10:15 PM
We don't really have the capability to intercept a missile while its in its boost phase.
Wanna bet?

* By the way, who answered Pay them off to stand down and how did JR decide to put that on the poll? :D

elysiantraveller
04-11-2012, 10:29 PM
Wanna bet?

* By the way, who answered Pay them off to stand down and how did JR decide to put that on the poll? :D

Not me. I said do nothing.

Maybe we have some system I've never heard of that can... Whatcha got?

johnhannibalsmith
04-11-2012, 10:32 PM
...* By the way, who answered Pay them off to stand down ...

http://childhoodrelived.files.wordpress.com/2011/10/notme_ghost.gif

Isn't it the most presidential answer?

rastajenk
04-12-2012, 08:49 AM
By the way, who answered Pay them off to stand down and how did JR decide to put that on the poll? :DI didn't even notice that choice until I read this, so that's what I put my $2 on, too. :p

I tend to side with e/t on this one, not being up on the latest developments of missile technology. I think there must be other ways of dealing with the risk before taking a chance on some kind of failed heroic Jimmy Carteresque embarassment. I have a hard time believing an attempt at interception is 100% guaranteed foolproof; something like that sure to amp up the tension had better be.

Robert Fischer
04-12-2012, 07:14 PM
We can knock down hundreds of missiles.... as they are coming in. Not going out.

By shooting it down you are asking our missile, which is designed to stay within the atmosphere, to win a foot race with one designed to leave it.

So when we want to hit other countries and destroy life on earth why not just use the amazing (atmosphere leaving) missile boosters on a straight shot?

In other words that would mean there is no such thing as missile defense.

bigmack
04-12-2012, 07:21 PM
They got a dud. Failure to launch.

http://www.mydirtreport.com/mydirtreport/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/18.jpg

Here it is 2012 and scientists still struggle to fire up a missile. We've been doing since when, the 50's?

elysiantraveller
04-12-2012, 07:32 PM
So when we want to hit other countries and destroy life on earth why not just use the amazing (atmosphere leaving) missile boosters on a straight shot?

In other words that would mean there is no such thing as missile defense.

We do.

And yes you still have missile defense. Its just a lot easier to shoot them as they are coming in not going away. Coming in you have telemetry and a flight path. Going away you have neither of those things to plot a intercept.

Think of it this way... Is it easier to catch a ball thrown toward you or away from you?

bigmack
04-12-2012, 09:05 PM
Who the H-E double hockey sticks is STILL voting on this?

I smell a trouble maka.

http://images.wikia.com/a-team/images/f/f6/Orginal_John_Hannibal_Smith.jpg

Lefty
04-13-2012, 01:47 AM
Didn't Obama Cancel Our Missile Defense?

Robert Goren
04-13-2012, 02:57 AM
The worries over this were premature. The launch was a failure as have all their others so far. Building this kind of rocket is not an easy task may be well beyond the ability of a country like North Korea for decades.

JustRalph
04-13-2012, 03:04 AM
The worries over this were premature. The launch was a failure as have all their others so far. Building this kind of rocket is not an easy task may be well beyond the ability of a country like North Korea for decades.

Rumors it was shot down.......

How would we know?

johnhannibalsmith
04-13-2012, 03:08 AM
The worries over this were premature. ...

I'm just wondering at what point in time is it proper to worry? When the thing finally works? I'm not all that worried myself, but I'm kind of hoping that people that are worried might decide that sooner is probably better than later in the "when to worry about missiles" category.

Robert Goren
04-13-2012, 03:47 AM
I'm just wondering at what point in time is it proper to worry? When the thing finally works? I'm not all that worried myself, but I'm kind of hoping that people that are worried might decide that sooner is probably better than later in the "when to worry about missiles" category. The great thing about a country like North Korea is that many of the people who built this rocket will not be given a chance to learn from their mistakes. They will do more harm to themselves than we could ever hope too. I am pretty sure we could blow up a few of their rockets, but that won't stop them from making more of them.
There is no deterrent to stop them from making them just there was no deterent to stop the USSR or China in 50s and 60s from making them. The only real deterrent that we have, have had or likely to have is the one to stop them them using them. That is that we kill can blow them (including all their leaders) off the map. There is no point in their leaders using this kind of weapon if they aren't going to be around to brag about. I know some posters think this weak, but it has worked against the likes Stalin and Mao and their successors. I really doubt the North Korea leaders are any crazier than those people. You just don't get any crazier than Stalin, Khrushchev, and Mao.

bigmack
04-13-2012, 05:12 AM
You just don't get any crazier than Stalin, Khrushchev, and Mao.
Read over some of your posts. On a crazy scale, you tip it over.

PaceAdvantage
04-13-2012, 06:56 AM
Not me. I said do nothing.

Maybe we have some system I've never heard of that can... Whatcha got?bigmack ducks no man...right bigmack? :lol:

Right? :lol: :lol:

ArlJim78
04-13-2012, 07:44 AM
Pyongyang we have a problem.

canleakid
04-13-2012, 07:04 PM
sabotaged by an agency with three letters in it's name :confused: :D

Tom
04-14-2012, 10:38 AM
Pyongyang we have a problem.

:lol::lol::lol:
Spit my tasty West Rock out on that one!

Actor
04-19-2012, 04:24 AM
Shoot it down on the launching pad.That would restart the Korean War, which by the way, never officially ended. It's a 59 year old cease fire.