PDA

View Full Version : "Thinking, Fast and Slow" book?

elhelmete
04-10-2012, 09:18 PM
Anyone else reading it?

It's not a handicapping or horseracing book at all, but it is probably going to be the most influential book on my (admittedly recreational) handicapping that I'll read.

I'm very intrigued by the author's notion of "non events" and how humans are not well equipped to identify or process them.

Just curious.

Milkshaker
04-10-2012, 10:18 PM
Yes. Read it this winter and constantly refer back to it when making decisions (or when analyzing how I should make decisions) both in handicapping and in "real life."

I especially appreciated the part about how our brains are wired to be overly receptive to convincing stories, and how that can skew judgment. This theory was instrumental in me stepping away from intense trip handicapping, which was my main angle for many years. I finally realized how irrational I was in allowing convincing "stories" (ie my trip notes about what I perceived as brutal trips) to sway my wagering decisions to such an out-of-whack degree. (It's not that brutal trips don't matter--it's just that I finally saw how I had been over-evaluating their importance).

The "regression to the mean" sections also provided an "Ah ha!" moment or two for me. A great introduction to that subject.

Good stuff. I particularly recommend the audiobook version. Clear and concise despite the sometimes dense subject matter.