PDA

View Full Version : Help....

BIG RED
04-08-2012, 10:08 AM
...I know, on Easter toboot!

My brother's laptop just went wrong.
Dell Inspiron, Windows.

I will be here for a bit, so will try and help.

He can't open anything. It says ...

'windows can not open this file' etc etc... and he cannot open his browser. IE does show, but then immediately closes.
Looks like I can't get into safe mode either??

BIG RED
04-08-2012, 10:14 AM
got into safemode with networking....

BIG RED
04-08-2012, 10:21 AM
same thing, can't keep browser open.
The BIG problem is, he doesn't have anything to fight this with, as in malwarebytes or an anti virus program. If I can get online, we could fight this .
Any suggestions?

(i'll be keepinf at it)

BIG RED
04-08-2012, 10:25 AM
I put the cursor on all programs and nothing. Must be hiding files?

BIG RED
04-08-2012, 10:30 AM
I tried every desktop icon to get online, will not let me on, even in safemode :confused:

BIG RED
04-08-2012, 11:03 AM
seems to be WXP, can't find out though. It has me hand cuffed in safe mode. Going for day (Family Easter thang), will be back later. Hope I gave enough info, will check back
Thanks

Red Knave
04-08-2012, 11:21 AM
Red

I would boot it with the WinXP CD if it's available and have it do a repair. Sounds like some dlls got hacked.

Long shot is it could be some bad memory.

Red

HUSKER55
04-08-2012, 12:16 PM
If this happened to me I would have to wait till monday and take it to the shop.

However, can't you start the computer from the program disk? and then go back to a restore point?

Good luck!

BIG RED
04-08-2012, 12:16 PM
On my phone
He cant find the cd

BIG RED
04-08-2012, 12:29 PM
Could I download malwarebytes to a cd and run it in his laptop?

BIG RED
04-08-2012, 06:46 PM
Niuttn yet eh?

PaceAdvantage
04-08-2012, 06:51 PM
Could I download malwarebytes to a cd and run it in his laptop?It seems like you're having trouble running ANY program...so I doubt you'll be able to run one off a CD or thumb drive.

This doesn't really sound like any virus/spyware I've ever heard of...then again, I'm no expert.

It won't hurt to try and run that program, along with Hitman:

http://www.surfright.nl/en

BIG RED
04-09-2012, 04:53 PM
If I fix it, I'll report it here

tupper
04-10-2012, 02:43 AM
Sounds like a software (OS) problem.

Run a free Linux live CD. Probably, a rescue live CD would be best, such as Parted Magic (http://partedmagic.com/doku.php) or System Rescue CD (http://www.sysresccd.org/SystemRescueCd_Homepage) (has anti-virus apps, typing"startx" at the command line will get you into the desktop).

Either one of these free CDs should automatically get you on the Internet. If you can't restore the drive, at least you will be able to rescue the data files and then reformat/reinstall.

BIG RED
04-10-2012, 12:12 PM
Did the System Rescue CD, popped it in the laptop and windows can't open it??

Anything I can try to 'test' this laptop out.

how about a system restore?

headhawg
04-10-2012, 12:25 PM
You have to boot from the System Rescue CD, not try to run it from Windows. It's a Linux disc. There's an AV program on it and also an anti-rootkit program from what I see from the website.

You could also try to download a bootable AV program like the rescue CD from Avira or BitDefender. You'll have to burn the .iso image though to create the CD. Pick one from this list: Link (http://livecdlist.com/purpose/windows-antivirus)

All of this is assuming some kind of malware. It could be that Windows needs to be reinstalled.

vegasone
04-10-2012, 03:18 PM
If you are able to get into Windows, try starting up task manager and see what process are running (ctrl/alt/del) and maybe start deleting them one by one.

If that doesn't work....you would need an XP CD to be able to either to try to run a repair , or get into the command line and run a system restore(not quite that easy)

If able to get into Windows, try start/run and type in msimn and see what happens

This IS assuming system restore won't run either and you are using XP

BIG RED
04-10-2012, 08:43 PM
You have to boot from the System Rescue CD, not try to run it from Windows. It's a Linux disc. There's an AV program on it and also an anti-rootkit program from what I see from the website.

Thanks Hawg, longtime since we talked. And how do I do this, exactly? I'm not good with laptops, or heck, it all. I do have the program copied to a cd.....so how do I go from there

BIG RED
04-10-2012, 08:52 PM
If you are able to get into Windows, try starting up task manager and see what process are running (ctrl/alt/del) and maybe start deleting them one by one.

Not to sound stupid, wouldn't that kill everything anyway??? I can get into task manager and see the processes (22)..(nothing in applications)

tupper
04-10-2012, 10:12 PM
I do have the program copied to a cd.....so how do I go from there
One has to "burn the image" to the CD, not simply copy the ".iso" file to the CD. Your CD burning program should have some sort of "burn image" option.

If there is only one file on your CD and it is a .iso file, you need to try again. You should end up with a few directories and a few files on the CD -- none of them should end in ".iso".

When you have successfully burned the multi-file, OS image onto the CD, then, reboot with the CD in the drive.

When the boot menu comes up, just press enter to try the default selection first.

With System Rescue CD, that should bring you to a command line prompt, then, type "startx" (without the quotes), which should give you a desktop.

I am not familiar with all of the programs included with the System Rescue CD, but I think that it comes with the Midori web browser (very simple and fast) and it might not include Flash.

Some of the best rescue/recovery programs (ie. Testdisk and Photorec) run from the Terminal (command line).

vegasone
04-11-2012, 12:57 AM
It may tell you if one of the processes is causing the problem....just poking around may run into a process causing an issue.

BIG RED
04-11-2012, 05:39 AM
now the disc won't work. When you go to use it, you have to buy it. (says it's an iso image file)

won't let me in, don't see the run, search, and support part...

I'm in task manager and have 22 processes showing

BIG RED
04-11-2012, 05:46 AM
well, don't know how, but got the browser(ff) to stay open. Now I can see it can not get online. Seems windows stops it (wifi)....and now I have to go to work, great

BIG RED
04-11-2012, 06:24 AM
I dl hawgs, it's the same file. Maybe I'll try the defender one later . Off to work, will be back tonight for one more shot at this.

tupper
04-11-2012, 04:05 PM
now the disc won't work. When you go to use it, you have to buy it. (says it's an iso image file)Huh?

Are you booting System Rescue CD?

If the live CDs are behaving erratically, you might have a hardware problem. Make sure that the CD drive is clean.

BIG RED
04-11-2012, 05:19 PM
one last question tupper, then it's his problem.
I know I have the right format of the program on the CD. It opens and has about 15 files in it, one name for ex. is BOOT-CAT.

Now, here's the question. How do I boot up the laptop, not using windows, but using the CD? I'm guessing if the CD ran its, course, this may get fixed. In Safe mode, no mode, I don't have a clue honestly.Thanks for everyones help. I'm tired of it, going out for a beer, one more shot when I get back in an hour or so....

HUSKER55
04-11-2012, 05:20 PM
I am no guru, but I am beginning to think he downloaded a malicious security program. one of those hi-jackers you read about on the internet.

Shouldn't control>alt>delete get you out of what ever you got into? If it doesn't then I say take it to the repair shop. I saw in a magazine where SSD for laptops are down to $123.

BIG RED
04-11-2012, 07:00 PM
ok, I'm back. Not that is going to help lol.

BIG RED
04-11-2012, 07:11 PM
One has to "burn the image" to the CD, not simply copy the ".iso" file to the CD. Your CD burning program should have some sort of "burn image" option.

If there is only one file on your CD and it is a .iso file, you need to try again. You should end up with a few directories and a few files on the CD -- none of them should end in ".iso".

When you have successfully burned the multi-file, OS image onto the CD, then, reboot with the CD in the drive.

All good til here. The blue windows comes on and asks for user password. I put this CD in my computer and it has a bunch of files in it. It has to been burned correctly

When the boot menu comes up, just press enter to try the default selection first.

I guess no boot menu came up?

BIG RED
04-11-2012, 07:20 PM
It may tell you if one of the processes is causing the problem....just poking around may run into a process causing an issue.

I started fiddling with them. 3rd one I tried it wouldn't close it??

'System Idle Process'

tupper
04-11-2012, 10:55 PM
It opens and has about 15 files in it, one name for ex. is BOOT-CAT.I downloaded the System Rescue CD 2.5.1 ".iso" file, and I "burned the image" to a CD.

In the root (top) level of the CD, I see five directories: "bootdisk/"; "bootprog/"; "isolinux/"; "ntpasswd/"; and "usb_inst/".

I also see five files at the root level of the CD: "sysrcd.dat"; "sysrcd.md5"; "usb_inst.sh"; "usbstick.htm"; and "version".

If you are viewing the CD contents from within Windows Explorer, it might not show all of these directories and files, but it shouldn't show any other files.

Now, here's the question. How do I boot up the laptop, not using windows, but using the CD?The bios on your computer should be set to boot from the CD drive first, before it boots from the hard drive. Check the boot order in the bios.

Once that is set, put the CD into the drive and boot/re-boot the computer -- it should boot right into the live CD.

tupper
04-11-2012, 11:00 PM
All good til here. The blue windows comes on and asks for user password.The blue window asking for your password sounds like a bios logon screen. System Rescue CD should not ask for a password.

I guess no boot menu came up?Seems so.

BIG RED
04-12-2012, 08:34 AM
Thanks to all, I do like to learn things. Tupper, thanks for the one on one. I actually googled the BIOS thing, didn't have a clue, now I do! Changed the boot order, 2nd time CD worked! Kicked right in by itself and is going as I type. This will be the last shot for this laptop. Throwing it back (at)to my brother no matter what.

I'll let you all know