PDA

View Full Version : This Looks A Tad Aggressive If You Ask Me

usedtolovetvg
04-07-2012, 09:57 PM
http://www.thoroughbredtimes.com/images/ads/5007_600x400_thoroughbred_promo3.jpg

tbwinner
04-07-2012, 09:58 PM
Wow!!!

PaceAdvantage
04-07-2012, 09:58 PM
Not any different than a car company comparing themselves to other lesser models, right? Naming a competitor in an ad isn't all that unheard of...

usedtolovetvg
04-07-2012, 10:03 PM
I never liked slamming the other guy to promote yourself. It isn't any worse than in politics. I like a company to tell me why they are so good, not why the other guy is so bad. Obviously, my way of thinking is not in vogue these days.

Beachbabe
04-07-2012, 10:04 PM
I just don't understand why anyone would use a wagering site that charged a fee to make a bet.
I guess Twinspires feels the same.

redshift1
04-07-2012, 11:23 PM
Which ADW leads in revenue?

duncan04
04-08-2012, 12:20 AM
I never liked slamming the other guy to promote yourself. It isn't any worse than in politics. I like a company to tell me why they are so good, not why the other guy is so bad. Obviously, my way of thinking is not in vogue these days.

Well in a way they are saying why they are good. They don't nickel and dime you for every wager. See nothing wrong with it.

cj
04-08-2012, 12:25 AM
I read the title of the thread and bet myself a million dollars this would be about TVG in some way. I won of course, but I only won a mythical a $50,000, 1 to 20.

Tom
04-08-2012, 11:25 AM
Speaking of TVG.............is it April already? :D

Canarsie
04-08-2012, 12:11 PM
This has been up a couple of weeks there was really no need to comment on it. Don't we see ATT and Verizon go at it all the time? Locally here the cable companies go after Verizon and vice versa. Doesn't Dish Network also do this? This is how the game is played now.

If a person decides that the fee is no big deal let them play there. Maybe they feel some obligation because they show races even though that reasoning is flawed at least to me. Also the beginning fan might not even know better sooner or later some will smarten up.

At least they have the freedom of choice to decide who to wager with. I'm stuck with one in NJ. I recently wrote to the horsemen who took over about offering free programs for Monmouth and more if a customer wagered on that track. Not even a decency of a reply doesn't make me happy.

Canarsie
04-08-2012, 12:18 PM
Which ADW leads in revenue?

PDF file for all of 2011. First quarter of 2012 should be out within a month.

http://www.oregon.gov/RACING/docs/Hub_Data/quarterly_hub_handles.pdf

redshift1
04-08-2012, 12:32 PM
PDF file for all of 2011. First quarter of 2012 should be out within a month.

http://www.oregon.gov/RACING/docs/Hub_Data/quarterly_hub_handles.pdf

That's Oregon only, I think TVG is number one in total revenue despite their charge per wager. I can't seem to find the national revenue numbers or at least current figures.

PaceAdvantage
04-08-2012, 06:16 PM
That's Oregon only, I think TVG is number one in total revenue despite their charge per wager. I can't seem to find the national revenue numbers or at least current figures.

.All the money flows through Oregon if that's where their hub is based....so those numbers are national...no?

usedtolovetvg
04-08-2012, 07:27 PM
All the money flows through Oregon if that's where their hub is based....so those numbers are national...no?

Yes.

Canarsie
04-09-2012, 10:34 AM

Seriously don't you think TVG would be stating they are the largest ADW in this great country of ours if it was fact. They recently put up some bs comparison about how Tampa handle is way down and Oaklawn is way up with TVG customers. While true they will only use an example that benefits them just like any other company who uses the same form of advertising. The smart viewer and consumer just have to sift through all of the garbage.

Maybe UTLTVG can comment on this but my guess is 85-90% of their customer base is in California. I could be way off base on this buy as an example why would anyone sign up for them in NY when NYRA gives out rebates. In California you can't even wager at out of state tracks if your in attendance at one of their facilities it gives them a huge edge.

usedtolovetvg
04-09-2012, 11:31 AM
Maybe UTLTVG can comment on this but my guess is 85-90% of their customer base is in California.

Your numbers are high but your reasoning is sound. Everyone must know that Betfair is here for one reason and one reason only, and That is Exchange Wagering. Almost all their efforts have been to get that going in CA. The fact that NJ passed EW was a pleasant surprise but we haven't heard much about that in a while. They are confident if EW gets up and going and succeeds in CA that the other States will quickly embrace it. Btw, for those who care and are not myopic, horse racing is not the Grand Prize Betfair is after.

redshift1
04-09-2012, 01:45 PM
Seriously don't you think TVG would be stating they are the largest ADW in this great country of ours if it was fact. They recently put up some bs comparison about how Tampa handle is way down and Oaklawn is way up with TVG customers. While true they will only use an example that benefits them just like any other company who uses the same form of advertising. The smart viewer and consumer just have to sift through all of the garbage.

Maybe UTLTVG can comment on this but my guess is 85-90% of their customer base is in California. I could be way off base on this buy as an example why would anyone sign up for them in NY when NYRA gives out rebates. In California you can't even wager at out of state tracks if your in attendance at one of their facilities it gives them a huge edge.

Hard to find anything except the Oregon report, oddly enough the TVG website seems to generate more visits per day than Twin Spires who according to the Oregon report if accurate leads in revenue. Probably a function of the TVG Fan Forum (more page views). Although page views on a wagering site should correspond to betting revenue generally speaking.

This site tracks page views per day.

http://www.freewebsitereport.org/

Valuist
04-09-2012, 04:43 PM
I read the title of the thread and bet myself a million dollars this would be about TVG in some way. I won of course, but I only won a mythical a $50,000, 1 to 20.

And in the spirit of this thread, you would've only been able to collect $49,000 due to fees.

cj
04-09-2012, 05:28 PM
And in the spirit of this thread, you would've only been able to collect $49,000 due to fees.

I think there is a monthly cap. I don't know if I'd use TVG, because I can't in OK. I may change my user name to apathetictowardstvg and have every post I make henceforth about my lack of interest.

GatetoWire
04-09-2012, 07:09 PM
I am surprised that Twin Spires and Xpressbet haven't taken this approach before.
I have used all 3 services and I find it hard to believe that TVG handled $625 million while charging fees for the same service that is free on Twin Spires or Xpressbet.

Are people that dumb or are there a ton of customers who can't use Twin Spires, Xpressbet or another service and have to use TVG?

usedtolovetvg
04-09-2012, 07:12 PM
I think there is a monthly cap.

TVG Subscription Plan Selection

Play Free

UNLIMITED wagers and video streaming FREE when you wager $2,500 or more per month.
Select the Flat Rate Plan or Pay as You Go Plan with or without Optional Video Streaming as your base plan.
Wager $2,500 or more per month and enjoy FREE wagering and video streaming.
No deposit fees.

Pay as You Go Plan

- $0.25 per wager up to a maximum of $19.95 (approximately 80 wagers) per month

Pay as You Go Plan

- $0.25 per wager up to a maximum of $19.95 (approximately 80 wagers) per month
Flat Rate Plan

- $19.95 per month (provides unlimited wagering and video streaming)
Pay as You Go Plan with VideoStreaming

- $0.25 per wager up to a maximum of $19.95 (approximately 80 wagers) per month. Includes Video Streaming - $5.95 will be charged at the end of the service month. Wager $200 in the service month and video streaming is Free!

cj
04-09-2012, 07:16 PM
Thanks. I have no feelings one way or the other about TVG.

edmond1
04-09-2012, 08:04 PM
Your numbers are high but your reasoning is sound. Everyone must know that Betfair is here for one reason and one reason only, and That is Exchange Wagering. Almost all their efforts have been to get that going in CA. The fact that NJ passed EW was a pleasant surprise but we haven't heard much about that in a while. They are confident if EW gets up and going and succeeds in CA that the other States will quickly embrace it. Btw, for those who care and are not myopic, horse racing is not the Grand Prize Betfair is after.

What are they really after ?

usedtolovetvg
04-09-2012, 08:17 PM
The biggest wagering prize in North America. It should be obvious if you think about it.

PaceAdvantage
04-09-2012, 09:25 PM
Hard to find anything except the Oregon report, oddly enough the TVG website seems to generate more visits per day than Twin Spires who according to the Oregon report if accurate leads in revenue. Probably a function of the TVG Fan Forum (more page views). Although page views on a wagering site should correspond to betting revenue generally speaking.

.I can personally say the stats on that site are way off when it comes to PaceAdvantage. They say 6,600 page views a day. Not even in the same universe.

usedtolovetvg
04-09-2012, 11:41 PM
I can personally say the stats on that site are way off when it comes to PaceAdvantage. They say 6,600 page views a day. Not even in the same universe.

How about clicks and not unique viewers?

Canarsie
04-10-2012, 12:29 PM

Not only their forum but they also had a site called TVG Free that was discontinued around 3-4 months ago. Have no idea how many hits they received but it certainly added to the total.

Concerning betting revenue this probably happened in early 2000 or so. Could be a few years off if so my bad. TVG used to have booths(or something similar) inside some tracks. A few people who saw them said the average deposit was around $50. Have no idea if this was factual once again maybe UTLTVG can add some insight on this I have brain cells diminishing each and every day.

Canarsie
04-10-2012, 12:39 PM
I am surprised that Twin Spires and Xpressbet haven't taken this approach before.
I have used all 3 services and I find it hard to believe that TVG handled $625 million while charging fees for the same service that is free on Twin Spires or Xpressbet.

Are people that dumb or are there a ton of customers who can't use Twin Spires, Xpressbet or another service and have to use TVG?

I have a few friends who live in Illinois and they signed up with no fees for life. They are mostly harness guys and got so pissed off about M1 being on tape delay they went back to their former ADW's.

There might be a lot who have that or a similar deal. Add in the person who wagers over $2500 and the only one being stuck is the small player who might not even know better or even care.

Seriously this has been debated numerous times and for the life of me I can't understand why it upsets so many people when it doesn't affect them. If there are four gas stations on a corner and 2 are more expensive do you get out of your car and tell the drivers using them they're getting ripped off? Any posting about something like this or similar? If people want to leave a whole in their wallet why should the average Joe (or gambler) care?

usedtolovetvg
04-10-2012, 01:21 PM
Have no idea if this was factual once again maybe UTLTVG can add some insight on this I have brain cells diminishing each and every day.

Sorry my expertise, if you want to call it that, is limited to the internal workings of the Co. The last I knew you could still deposit and withdraw at Los Al. I would think that the same would hold true at the newly named Betfair Hollywood Park. But, this is all supposition based on the few brain cells I have left.

redshift1
04-10-2012, 01:38 PM
FWIW I'm trying Xpressbet on the Oaks and Derby days purely for the $125.00 sign-up bonus but will return to TVG if Xpressbet has trouble handling the volume on peak wagering days. I'm less concerned about the .25 levy than being able to wager at post time.

usedtolovetvg
04-10-2012, 02:09 PM
There is nothing wrong with having multiple accounts and playing with the one that works best for you at that specific time. As far as I know, they have all had issues.

GatetoWire
04-10-2012, 08:33 PM
2 years ago there was an issue on Derby day with Xpressbet.

Last year Xpressbet worked well on Oaks, Derby and on Breeders Cup day. There were no outages at all.

Kevroc
04-11-2012, 06:41 AM
Seriously this has been debated numerous times and for the life of me I can't understand why it upsets so many people when it doesn't affect them. If there are four gas stations on a corner and 2 are more expensive do you get out of your car and tell the drivers using them they're getting ripped off? Any posting about something like this or similar? If people want to leave a whole in their wallet why should the average Joe (or gambler) care?

Because I am getting older and older and i'm still one of the youngest horse racing fans I know.

I want people to stay in the game and pass it on to others and keep the game I love going.

Canarsie
04-11-2012, 11:17 AM
2 years ago there was an issue on Derby day with Xpressbet.

Last year Xpressbet worked well on Oaks, Derby and on Breeders Cup day. There were no outages at all.

Also was on 4NJBets. The past two years they took almost all of your wagering history to offline servers so they would have increased capacity. Before that I couldn't even get a confirmation of a wager being made no such problems now. Pretty sure almost all of the other ADW's followed suit because there really hasn't been any complaints.

Canarsie
04-11-2012, 11:25 AM
Because I am getting older and older and i'm still one of the youngest horse racing fans I know.

I want people to stay in the game and pass it on to others and keep the game I love going.

Seriously how many people among the thousands of members here don't know about the fee? It has been rehashed countless times that's my point. If you want to encourage other people that's an admirable position and I wholeheartedly respect that. But on here its just piling on imo.

But there are people in states that pay high fees so they can ride in the express lanes alone. I never see that discussed as much anywhere on the net.

Btw if I had a choice there is zero chance I would sign up with them unless I had lifetime no fees.

usedtolovetvg
04-20-2012, 11:47 AM
Hmm, I wonder if this happened because of us. 2 days after this thread appeared TVG sent a letter to Twinspires. It had been stated that this ad had been running for some time prior to this thread.

http://www.thoroughbredtimes.com/national-news/2012/04/19/tvg-twinspires-feuding-over-quarter-hog-ad-campaign.aspx

tbwinner
04-20-2012, 12:49 PM
Hmm, I wonder if this happened because of us. 2 days after this thread appeared TVG sent a letter to Twinspires. It had been stated that this ad had been running for some time prior to this thread.

http://www.thoroughbredtimes.com/national-news/2012/04/19/tvg-twinspires-feuding-over-quarter-hog-ad-campaign.aspx

I clicked on this link. The pop-over ad was the Quarter Hog Ad :lol: :lol:

duncan04
04-20-2012, 12:57 PM
I clicked on this link. The pop-over ad was the Quarter Hog Ad :lol: :lol:

I noticed that as well and found it humorous. And I love how TVG denies is seeks to collect .25 for each bet placed. I guess they think it's ok to charge $20 to waive the .25 per bet fee. :rolleyes:

iwearpurple
04-20-2012, 02:52 PM
Remember what happened to the video stores that charged a monthly fee. As people find out there are those that don't charge for the same services, where do they go? To the one that doesn't charge a fee. Those that continued to charge a fee either changed their policy or failed.

I am not betting on TVG.

usedtolovetvg
04-20-2012, 03:06 PM
And if you click on the Paulick Report, the TVG pop-up hits you in the face. I did see some posts critical of TVG that mysteriously disappeared over there. It seems to me Ray is shilling for BF.

Canarsie
04-20-2012, 07:17 PM

Wishful thinking I surmise. Lawyers don't move that quick, the letter has to be delivered not faxed, and a whole other bunch of legal jumbo. I kind of doubt they went into their lawyers office and they didn't have to do some kind of research first. They do take a quarter up to $2500 and then refund it. So its fairly accurate.

They had to know about it as they were all over the place and I block popups. Can't even see any on TT. Mike will be glad to hear I see all of his ads on the tablet.