PDA

View Full Version : Records to CD

Lefty
12-28-2003, 12:25 PM
Hey, guys, a few months ago my house was broken into and among things stolen were my Dean Martin CD's. I still have most on lp's; so how do I make cd's from lp's or is it even possible?

Dick Schmidt
12-28-2003, 05:09 PM
Sinister One,

Yes, it is possible. My cousin, who is a radio engineer, does it all the time. What you need is a way to convert the analog signal coming out of your turntable or amp to digital. Run that into your computer and store it on your hard disk in a format that your CD player can decode (you may need conversion software). Then burn it to CD.

I don't know the name of the analog to digital converter he uses, but I think it costs about $100. A Google search should fill in all the blanks.

Dick

Who's always glad to help, provided of course that it involves no great effort. personal involvement or financial outlay.

JustRalph
12-28-2003, 05:24 PM
Lefty.....this is one of those life questions where you have to decide what the value of your time is worth to you. It is a pain in the arse to do this.....and to make it sound really good you need some nice equipment....that costs you some money......and then you will spend some serious time doing it. When you could just go to the link below and spend a few bucks and get the digital remastered versions.........

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000006OHJ/dvdsale0a/103-7411430-5602233

Lefty
12-28-2003, 05:53 PM
Thanks, guys. Whew. I've already bght a few from Amazon, guess i'll continue. Stinking thieves got away with the wife's jewels and that was bad enough but when I realized my Dino CD's were gone i'd have shot the bums if I had a clue who did it.

DJofSD
12-28-2003, 10:43 PM
What JustRalph said is spot on. It is time consuming.

If you still are going to try, here's a URL for a shareware editor you can use in evaluation mode that's good enough. It's called Wave Repair. See:http://www.delback.co.uk/wavrep/

It will help eliminate some of the clicks and pops.

DJofSD

Tom
12-28-2003, 10:58 PM
Originally posted by DJofSD
It will help eliminate some of the clicks and pops.

DJofSD

Will it work on my knees???:rolleyes:

Seriously, a guy at work has somesoftware like this that he can actually transfer an old records to CD and increase the bass, cut out crackling, etc. PRetty neat-he made me a CD of some very old 1960's 45's (singles), but it was a lot of work and he is a computer "guru."
Soill, it would be nice to be able to do that.

Lefty
12-29-2003, 12:12 AM
Thanks, but i'm no computer guru and no patience either, so guess i'll just rebuy the cd's. Thanks again, fellas.

kenwoodallpromos
12-29-2003, 01:00 AM
Your thief just had to hear "Bummin' Around!

kingfin66
12-29-2003, 01:20 AM
I use a device called a Dazzle80 to convert my analog to digital. I use it mostly to capture video that was recorded in VHS-C format, then burn it to DVD. I haven't been able to make it work for music...it is a pain in the a** and time consuming as others have said. Even after converting it, you would have an entire CD as one continuous track and would then have to break it into individual songs.

Another option besides Amazon, would be to download the Dino CD's from one of the numerous music dowload services, such as Napster.

Pace Cap'n
12-29-2003, 07:38 AM
kingfin66 has a pretty good idea there.

Wal-Mart has a new site to download music at the rate of .88/song. You can easily burn these to CD.

Got 84 hits for Dino.

I haven't used this myself as yet, but plan to. Requires WMP-9.

musicdownloads.walmart.com/catalog/servlet/MainServlet

Lefty
12-29-2003, 11:42 AM
I signed up with Rhapsody and then found it just didn't work right with a dialup modem. Napster doesn't service Win98. I'll take a look at Walmart site. Thanks.

Tom
12-29-2003, 12:50 PM
WOW!
I didn't know you do this stuff......lthanks for the link.
Ole Sam will be getting some extra cash from me this week:rolleyes:

JustRalph
12-29-2003, 12:55 PM
Itunes is pretty good too........

But one Caveat........... the format you download the music in is proprietary until you burn it to a cd. Then you can rip it back to your computer in whatever format you want. But you have to burn it to cd before you can move it around from computer to computer etc. But if I am paying .99 cents a song or 9.99 an album, it makes sense to put it on a .30 CD to keep as a backup.

So it really isn't a big deal........ and the service has a great selection and works well so far.

http://www.apple.com/itunes/

Tom
12-29-2003, 08:19 PM
So what you do is download the songs, then burn them all onto a CD.
Can you put them in a specific order on the CD?
I assume I can use any CD-RW for this?

Thanks.

Lefty
12-29-2003, 08:38 PM
itunes another doesn't work with Win98. Gotta have 2000 or XP.

Pace Cap'n
12-29-2003, 09:11 PM
Originally posted by Tom
So what you do is download the songs, then burn them all onto a CD.
Can you put them in a specific order on the CD?
I assume I can use any CD-RW for this?

Thanks.

Once they are on your computer, you can burn them in any order, any artist. Like your own mini jukebox.

You can use CD-RW or CD-R. I've had good luck with Memorex.

Enjoy your jams!