PDA

View Full Version : Woodbine Saturday 4-7

cj's dad
04-06-2012, 11:19 AM
Anyone know why all races are at 5 F

tbwinner
04-06-2012, 11:21 AM

They always do this at the beginning of the meet, at least as far as I've been following them in recent years. The exact reason I'm unsure, but I think it has to do with them thinking the horses are unfit and only ready to go that distance at that time. It lasts a week or so. I think all the races today save for one or two are 5F too.

JBmadera
04-06-2012, 11:22 AM

every race but one (7F) is at 5F today too, weird.

Shelby
04-06-2012, 11:24 AM
On TVG they explained that most of the horses don't work out or anything during the winter months due to the weather, so the first month of racing at Woodbine is always filled with 5 1/2 furlong races to get them back into shape.

tbwinner
04-06-2012, 11:25 AM
I did a quick google search on this.

Maybe you're getting old....did you know you asked the exact same question last year? :)
http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=81616&highlight=woodbine
:lol:

cj's dad
04-06-2012, 11:30 AM
I did a quick google search on this.

Maybe you're getting old....did you know you asked the exact same question last year? :)
http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=81616&highlight=woodbine
:lol:

Last year was years ago. I don't remember no stinkin' last year.

I guess the old timers disease is kickin in.

Thanks folks. I'll try to remember next year. ;)

Shelby
04-06-2012, 11:32 AM
Last year was years ago. I don't remember no stinkin' last year.

I guess the old timers disease is kickin in.

Thanks folks. I'll try to remember next year. ;)

Heck, I can't remember a question I asked yesterday. It's all good. :)

lamboguy
04-06-2012, 11:48 AM
Heck, I can't remember a question I asked yesterday. It's all good. :)

those tracks up there all start off with short distances, finger lakes and ft. erie. most of those horses that run there have not run since the place closed, and its tough to get them in shape this time of year because of the weather. they train them to make the short distance and get them fit after a race to go longer.

PaceAdvantage
04-06-2012, 07:59 PM
Wasn't Woodbine one of the tracks cited as having one of the lowest fatality rates in racing? Perhaps the fact that most of the horses up there get the winter off has something to do with this.

But then you would think Ft. Erie and Finger Lakes (which we know does NOT have one of the lowest fatality rates in racing) would also have similar stats.

lamboguy
04-06-2012, 08:15 PM
whether a horse runs on a racetrack or runs in the wild, there are always going to be lots of times that they snap their legs. god did not make those legs perfect. if anything, my guess would be that horses on racetracks live longer than those that run around wild. no proof on that though.

Cardus
04-06-2012, 09:10 PM
whether a horse runs on a racetrack or runs in the wild, there are always going to be lots of times that they snap their legs. god did not make those legs perfect. if anything, my guess would be that horses on racetracks live longer than those that run around wild. no proof on that though.

What a cheap shot at G-d.

If he posted here, I suspect that he would have received much kinder treatment in your post.

Shelby
04-06-2012, 09:43 PM

If he posted here, I suspect that he would have received much kinder treatment in your post.

Great.

First I learn that there is no Santa Claus.

Now I learn that PA isn't really God.

*sigh*

;)

JustRalph
04-06-2012, 10:45 PM

If ?

Hell, I think he posts here under 2-3 User Names............

Tom
04-06-2012, 11:17 PM
But then you would think Ft. Erie and Finger Lakes (which we know does NOT have one of the lowest fatality rates in racing) would also have similar stats.

FL will run mostly 4-1/2 furlong races when they start on 4/20.
But many horses will be shippers - a lot lay off over the winter, but many do not. Many of them seek out the short races because that is all they left in them.

BIG49010
04-07-2012, 02:34 AM
FL will run mostly 4-1/2 furlong races when they start on 4/20.
But many horses will be shippers - a lot lay off over the winter, but many do not. Many of them seek out the short races because that is all they left in them. Raise your purses and you might get a Wesley Ward invasion too! Can't he train anything to go longer than 5 furlongs?

tbwinner
04-07-2012, 09:54 AM
Raise your purses and you might get a Wesley Ward invasion too! Can't he train anything to go longer than 5 furlongs?

I think its in part due to the fact he's got a bunch of Bring The Heat horses and, except in rare instances, those can't go much past 5 furlongs. He owns that sire that's why he has all his babies.

bushwick
04-07-2012, 10:22 AM
Many of the breakdowns at Finger Lakes are heavily favored shippers from NYRA. I dont think it is fair to blame these breakdowns on Finger Lakes surface. It just happens to be a easy place to ship the NYRA horses to instead of giving them the needed time to rehabilitate.