PDA

View Full Version : ESP and Gambling

Teach
04-04-2012, 08:32 AM
"Now Mary," I said to one of my students, "you're 'the sender'." I continued, "I want you to sit at my desk and face the class and mentally' send these numbers to your fellow-students."

I was then a history and social sciences teacher at a high school west of Boston. I was teaching a unit on parapsychology. We were studying E.S.P. (extrasensory perception, e.g., precognition, clairvoyance, telekinesis, etc.

At the time, I was doing an experiment in E.S.P. in which a student,"the sender" would mentally "send" numbers to his/her classmates. The "sender" would sit at my desk with ten cut-up slips of paper. Each one of the ten slips had a number between 1 and 10 written on it. Randomly, the "sender" would mentally concentrate on the number and then "send" it to the students. Well, in turn, the students at their seats, "the receivers," would try to link up with "the sender's" mental transmission. They would record their number perception (transmission) on a matrix they had drawn up. Each number, when sent, would, in turn, be transcribed on the matrix (grid) until all ten numbers had been sent.

After the "transmissions" were complete, we would then do analysis. I would first have the student "sender" (in this case Mary) read the numbers she sent in the order that she "sent" them, e.g., 8, 7, 1, 5,etc. I would then, after all the numbers between 1 and 10 had been accounted for, ask the students if anyone had more than one or two correct matches. As an editorial comment, I must profess that having more than one or two matches was rare.

Well, I'd then ask if a student "receiver" had more than two matches. Yes, occasionally, I would get answers like, "I had three matches". Another student said, "he had four." I even heard five, occasionally. Statistically, the law of averages would say one match out of ten. You might get two. But anything above that was worth taking a look at.

Do these have practical applications for betting on horses, gaming,e.g., roulette, craps, the lottery, etc.? First, let me state upfront,there's nothing that's quantifiable here. This ain't a science. This isn't the Pythagorean Theorem. This is, at best, an art or skill. It may simply be luck. Yet, having said all this, I try to keep on open mind. I personally believe we do not use our minds to their fullest capacities.

Let's get to gambling. The other day I was betting Freehold Racewaythrough my ADW. But, getting a little bored and quite a bit antsy Idecided to make "fun" 10-cent super bets on flat tracks. One of thetracks I concentrated on was Tampa Bay, the other Beulah (shortfields). I use (oh, I've done this before) the method of "round" and "crooked" numbers. In my system: "round" numbers are: 2,3, 6, 8 and 9. "Crookeds" are: 1,4,7. Number 5 is a "hybrid"; it has the quality of both a "crooked" and "round".

Well, I start doing my mental telepathy just as my student Mary did in my class years ago. I write down a series of numbers. I might start:1-0-0-0. Does that look right? or should it be: 0-1-0-0. Will it be "round" or "crooked" to start? What other three number types will come up subsequently to complete the super? Chance? Sure. Substance? Hardly. Although at Tampa this past Saturday, I nailed two in a row. I know at this point you're probably saying, "What's teach smoking this early in the morning?" And, you're probably right.

One final point, I was in Aruba with my wife and two children about 20 years ago. I'm playing roulette at one of the Palm Coast hotels. I'm losing. My teen-age son comes up to me. "Dad, how ya doing?" "Not well," I said. Well, my son starts concentrating. He says, "Dad, bet black." Bingo! Then not just once, but as I recall, five or six times in a row he advises me correctly with either red or black. I asked my son, "How'd you do that?" He said, "I just concentrated." In any event, I got myself out of the hole.

As for Mary, I don't believe she had any huge number of connections with her fellow students. But, as for me, I believe this is worth pondering. To this day I occasionally try it for fun when I gamble (I don't keep records), but when I "hit," I ask myself" Was that chance or am I on to something?"