PDA

View Full Version : Breeding a Mare for Racing - Need Some Insight

JSP
04-03-2012, 05:34 PM
I've always loved horse racing as a general fan. But never really got into breeding, etc.

I just took ownership of a race horse from Malibu Moon. She only raced a few times (Didn't do better than 7th) and got hurt. Didn't race again.

Would she be worth breeding to race the foal eventually? I know my horse has foaled twice before but they never raced. They aren't registered. I'm not looking to instantly become a Kentucky Derby horse owner. I have realistic goals. Just looking for a nice horse to slowly get into Ownership and work with a nice trainer from the ground up.

I would definitely breed my horse (Miss Pacific) with a nice stallion in my price range such as Giacomo, Ready's Image, Macho Uno, or Eddington.

I appreciate all of the insight from you guys. Thanks so much.

tbwinner
04-03-2012, 06:09 PM
Is there any black-type/stakes winners in the 2nd or 3rd dam?

JSP
04-03-2012, 06:46 PM
1st Dam - Glitz N Glamour (No Stakes Races - My Horses Dam)
http://equibase.com/profiles/Results.cfm?type=Horse&refno=1373277&registry=T (http://equibase.com/profiles/Results.cfm?type=Horse&refno=1351376&registry=T)
Career Statistics:

Starts: 42
Firsts: 5
Seconds: 3
Thirds: 5
Earnings: $46,635

2nd Dam - Noble Jossie (No Stakes Races - Dam of Glitz N Glamour)
http://equibase.com/profiles/Results.cfm?type=Horse&refno=898031&registry=T (http://equibase.com/profiles/Results.cfm?type=Horse&refno=1351376&registry=T)
Career Statistics:

Starts: 65
Firsts: 17
Seconds: 10
Thirds: 5
Earnings: $95,053

3rd Dam - Macoumba- (Dam of Malibu Moon) Stakes Winner
http://equibase.com/profiles/Results.cfm?type=Horse&refno=1351376&registry=T
Career Statistics:

Starts: 6
Firsts: 3
Seconds: 0
Thirds: 0
Earnings: $196,738

Saratoga_Mike
04-03-2012, 07:13 PM
I've always loved horse racing as a general fan. But never really got into breeding, etc.

I just took ownership of a race horse from Malibu Moon. She only raced a few times (Didn't do better than 7th) and got hurt. Didn't race again.

Would she be worth breeding to race the foal eventually? I know my horse has foaled twice before but they never raced. They aren't registered. I'm not looking to instantly become a Kentucky Derby horse owner. I have realistic goals. Just looking for a nice horse to slowly get into Ownership and work with a nice trainer from the ground up.

I would definitely breed my horse (Miss Pacific) with a nice stallion in my price range such as Giacomo, Ready's Image, Macho Uno, or Eddington.

I appreciate all of the insight from you guys. Thanks so much.

Simple answer - unless you have money to burn - is no. You'd be better off just buying a yearling. Better yet, if you're just getting into racing, claim one with an honest trainer. Good luck.

JSP
04-03-2012, 07:35 PM
Simple answer - unless you have money to burn - is no. You'd be better off just buying a yearling. Better yet, if you're just getting into racing, claim one with an honest trainer. Good luck.

I thank you very much for your response. Does anyone share the same feeling as Saratoga_Mike?

Brogan
04-03-2012, 07:45 PM
I thank you very much for your response. Does anyone share the same feeling as Saratoga_Mike?
I second Mike's recommendation.

It's a long slippery climb breeding your own to race. You'll be pouring money into a black hole for years until MAYBE you get a horse that makes the races, let alone does well.

When you claim, you get a ready made stable. Just take the time and effort to find a trainer that's suitable for you.

Where do you plan to run?

JSP
04-03-2012, 07:55 PM
I second Mike's recommendation.

It's a long slippery climb breeding your own to race. You'll be pouring money into a black hole for years until MAYBE you get a horse that makes the races, let alone does well.

When you claim, you get a ready made stable. Just take the time and effort to find a trainer that's suitable for you.

Where do you plan to run?

I appreciate your insight. I plan to run at Lone Star Park. Maybe Remington Park. I will keep studying more. Studying trainers. And maybe one day soon put a claim in for a horse, or purchase one at auction. I've been leaning toward that option anyways the more and more I read about breeding.

forced89
04-03-2012, 08:39 PM
Personally I like buying yearlings late in the horses yearling year. I have 3 primary reasons for this. First, someone else has taken all the risks and paid all the expenses of breeding the horse. Second, no one really knows how good (or how bad) a yearling is going to be. Third, you can catch lightening in a bottle. I think I just read that the horse who won the Louisiana Derby (and $600K first place money) was purchased as a yearling for $3,000!!

Another option (as you said you would like to run at Lone Star or Remington) is buy a 2 yo at Thursday's 2 yo in training sale at Lone Star (day after tomorrow).

Robert Fischer
04-03-2012, 08:47 PM
ready's image :ThmbUp:

JSP
04-03-2012, 09:35 PM
Personally I like buying yearlings late in the horses yearling year. I have 3 primary reasons for this. First, someone else has taken all the risks and paid all the expenses of breeding the horse. Second, no one really knows how good (or how bad) a yearling is going to be. Third, you can catch lightening in a bottle. I think I just read that the horse who won the Louisiana Derby (and $600K first place money) was purchased as a yearling for $3,000!!

Another option (as you said you would like to run at Lone Star or Remington) is buy a 2 yo at Thursday's 2 yo in training sale at Lone Star (day after tomorrow).

Oh wow! Can you just walk right into the Fasig-Tipton Horse Auction and bid? I just read on their website at least 5 days before you have to submit a credit app, unless you just want to pay cash. It'd be nice just to go and see how the auctions operate.

macguy
04-03-2012, 09:46 PM
Oh wow! Can you just walk right into the Fasig-Tipton Horse Auction and bid? I just read on their website at least 5 days before you have to submit a credit app, unless you just want to pay cash. It'd be nice just to go and see how the auctions operate.

If you're curious, you should go to the auction and watch how things go.

There's no fee for going to watch, just make sure you keep your hands in your pockets.

Another thing that's fun to do is pick the horses that you like, put their names on a virtual stable, and you can watch their careers (if they ever make it to the races, that is.)

tbwinner
04-03-2012, 11:42 PM

I do too. I am strictly 100% claiming in my operation. Dabbled with 2yos/babies, never had much success. Although I will be looking at the Ocala sale this year at the end of the month.

davew
04-03-2012, 11:56 PM
what is your estimate for how many months/years and dollars will be involved before the foal would be trained/old enough to race anywhere?

Ocala Mike
04-04-2012, 12:09 AM
JSP, I "dabbled" in the business for a few years with a couple of off the track mares. My wife and I did all the work on our mini-farm, so we had no labor costs, but we still found that we were investing $6-8k a year, including stud fees, and selling the offspring for $4-5k. Can't get ahead that way.

We did actually get to see a couple of them win cheap races at places like River Downs, Hoosier Park, and Louisiana Downs for their owners, but we never got a breeder's award because the wins were outside the state of FL.

Anyway, I don't recommend you get into the business this way, unless you are able to get a really top-notch mare and, like someone else said, have money to burn.

Small breeders are almost extinct down here now. If you want to get a little money out of this game, start with a lot!

Ocala Mike

Wingtips
04-04-2012, 01:14 AM

You can also pay on scene right after your purchase with a certified check. Just bring a certified check for the max you're willing to spend. If your purchase is less, present the check and they'll cut you a check for the difference on the spot.

JBmadera
04-04-2012, 08:54 AM
maybe it wasn't the best idea from a financial standpoint, but we loved breeding our mares. It was so much fun researching stallions and then of course the actual births themselves (we had the mares here on our property), wonderful experience.

That said, if we got back into the game we would strictly go the claiming route, well I guess we would need one mare to breed otherwise the wife wouldn't go for it.... :)

Good luck and most of all have fun!!

lamboguy
04-04-2012, 09:04 AM
if indeed you do breed a mare, try and go to NEW YORK, or LOUISIANA. there are breeders awards for LOUISIANA breds that run anywhere. NEW YORK has big subsidized purses right now for those horses. only thing is that by the time your mare drops its first foal, the competition will be very tough on the race track.

BIG49010
04-04-2012, 09:47 AM
You might want to think about doing this and not racing the horse, but selling it into the yearling auction. I think the major risk is trying to get to the races.

lamboguy
04-04-2012, 10:09 AM
You might want to think about doing this and not racing the horse, but selling it into the yearling auction. I think the major risk is trying to get to the races.is it ever!

forced89
04-04-2012, 10:37 AM
You can also pay on scene right after your purchase with a certified check. Just bring a certified check for the max you're willing to spend. If your purchase is less, present the check and they'll cut you a check for the difference on the spot.

First, make sure you know what you will do with the horse you purchase. If you don't have a place in mind, go to the sales barns before the sale and make an arrangement with one of the Training Centers who are selling at the sale to take your horse. Benchmark, Trophy Club, Twin Oaks, etc.

Second, go to your Bank and get a Cashier's Check for the amount you think you want to spend. If you spend less, the Sales Company will give you a refund. If you spend a little bit more, they will take a personal check for the extra.

Third, being new at the game I suggest you buy from the offerings of one of the Training Center consignors. Before you bid tell them the horse you are thinking of bidding on and ask them if they are comfortable keeping the horse if you are the successful purchaser. They will either say "yes", "no", or hem and haw. Only bid if they say "yes".