PDA

View Full Version : Why Most of the Educational Infrastructure is Obsolete.

badcompany
04-03-2012, 02:14 PM
You have great teachers like this posting youtubes. What's the point of sitting in a classroom when you can watch these, and, if you miss something, you can go back and watch it again. IMO, it's a more efficient way to learn.

epoJEptHYIM&feature=related

jognlope
04-03-2012, 03:18 PM
Because starting in 2014, you can go to whatever school at whatever cost you want. You'll only have to pay back a federal loan at 10% of monthly disposable income, which Pres. Clinton points out ends up being about 5% of actualy monthly income. For 20 years you pay and then loan is forgiven. So go to college. Obama signed it. Isn't he just a shmuck to make education affordable to the middle class. God can't he get anything right?

Robert Goren
04-03-2012, 06:36 PM
You have great teachers like this posting youtubes. What's the point of sitting in a classroom when you can watch these, and, if you miss something, you can go back and watch it again. IMO, it's a more efficient way to learn. I agree, but most employers want a peice of paper saying you know the material. That piece of paper is vital if you work for somebody else. The first parking company I work for, all the brass started in the booth. The last one I work for didn't hire anyone for even the lowest level management position without a 4 year degree. Even the janitorial supervisor needed that degree. Thats how much the world changed in the time from 1987 to 2004.

badcompany
04-03-2012, 07:32 PM
I agree, but most employers want a peice of paper saying you know the material. That piece of paper is vital if you work for somebody else. The first parking company I work for, all the brass started in the booth. The last one I work for didn't hire anyone for even the lowest level management position without a 4 year degree. Even the janitorial supervisor needed that degree. Thats how much the world changed in the time from 1987 to 2004.

Going forward, that piece of paper, will be increasingly earned online via distance learning.

bigmack
04-03-2012, 07:47 PM
Because starting in 2014, you can go to whatever school at whatever cost you want. You'll only have to pay back a federal loan at 10% of monthly disposable income, which Pres. Clinton points out ends up being about 5% of actualy monthly income. For 20 years you pay and then loan is forgiven. So go to college. Obama signed it. Isn't he just a shmuck to make education affordable to the middle class. God can't he get anything right?
Good luck with your next career move.

Don't worry about any of this.

The federal student loan program seemed like a great idea back in 1965: Borrow to go to college now, pay it back later when you have a job.
But many borrowers these days are close to flunking out, tripped up by painful real-life lessons in math and economics.

Surging above $1 trillion, U.S. student loan debt has surpassed credit card and auto-loan debt. This debt explosion jeopardizes the fragile recovery,
increases the burden on taxpayers and possibly sets the stage for a new economic crisis.
http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5hKrjT9KfXVio_i2abtPcdDUK0EhA?docId=5bcd1e491 59341f3b9a21e3d582a63b4

But hey, you love you some of that BO "just helping out the little girl" stuff.

You go, Girl.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4003/4532793908_2cbc3c96d4_o.jpg

Tom
04-03-2012, 08:51 PM

Making it affordable at other people's expense.
Who do you think is going to pay for this?

How about we look at why college is so expensive - how much do liberal asshole professors get paid, while they have students teach their classes so they can go out and protest the one percenters?

badcompany
04-03-2012, 09:30 PM
Making it affordable at other people's expense.
Who do you think is going to pay for this?

How about we look at why college is so expensive - how much do liberal asshole professors get paid, while they have students teach their classes so they can go out and protest the one percenters?

It's a classic example of government intervention having the "George Costanza Effect," viz. doing the opposite of its intentions.

The phony demand drives up prices, making education unaffordable unless massive debt is incurred. In addition, job markets become distorted as too many kids graduate with degrees for which there isn't enough demand.

Of course, Liberals, either intellectually dishonest or economically illiterate, will cite the unaffordable tuitions as a pretext for more interventions and blame capitalism for not providing enough jobs for all the useless degrees the kids get.

Robert Goren
04-04-2012, 02:28 AM
Going forward, that piece of paper, will be increasingly earned online via distance learning. Maybe so. But right now pieces of papers earned online are not the worth the price of the paper they are written on.
I know that more and more real colleges are getting into the online business, so maybe it will happen. Currently, there are some great things online at little or no cost if all you need is the knowledge. Hopefully in the near future, there will be a way to turn them into something that employers will value when they are hiring and/or promoting employees.

Tom
04-04-2012, 05:47 PM
I've worked with lots of people over the years, and never met one with a piece of paper that was any more suited to the job than one without it. If I were to generalize, those with the degrees were the ones I would not hire again.
I'm sure a degree has it's place, but nowhere near as important as it is made out to be. I got mine in 1973.......not a lot of that learnin' is very relevant today.
Hell, when I got mine, Pluto was a planet!