PDA

View Full Version : TVG to go High Def

redshift1
04-02-2012, 04:32 PM
According to Television Games (Gino), TVG plans to go High Def by July. I know in Southern Cal they have an HD slot (1063) and are currently up-resing an SD signal on a limited basis but no way they can do all the smaller tracks, maybe the major tracks who send HD signals and of course the studio portions will be available in HD.

Odd, I haven't heard any adds or promos for this.

PhantomOnTour
04-02-2012, 04:44 PM
One area they have an edge over HRTV is their picture quality.
This will widen that edge for sure...good to hear.
Good for them, they've been talking about it for awhile.

Striker
04-02-2012, 04:49 PM
Does anyone think that HRTV will follow?

redshift1
04-02-2012, 04:56 PM
Does anyone think that HRTV will follow?

I hope so considering they have Gulf, CD and SA signals locked-up

ThinkingAlways
04-03-2012, 11:54 AM
Only their "studio" work will be in hi-def. (Most of) The track feeds will not be unless they plan on spending $$,$$$,$$$.

OTM Al
04-03-2012, 12:10 PM
Only their "studio" work will be in hi-def. (Most of) The track feeds will not be unless they plan on spending $$,$$$,$$$.

It all goes hand in hand though. Tracks won't invest in HD unless the outlets for their signal can carry it.

ThinkingAlways
04-03-2012, 01:45 PM
I don't see most tracks willing/being able to invest. At a minimum it is $25-50,000 for new video equipment and probably $1500/race day for increased satellite time. Tracks would need new camera(s), lenses, and equipment at production unit. And, they'd need to redo their graphics packages.

I think the ROI for a track would be a very difficult hurdle to meet.

CincyHorseplayer
04-03-2012, 03:00 PM
Now all they have to do is show tracks that you actually want to bet!:cool:

Zydeco
04-03-2012, 03:02 PM
Doesn't the Churchill tracks already broadcast in HD? I think they have a graphic onscreen when they are loading the horses that says " In HD, where available"

depalma113
04-03-2012, 04:39 PM
I don't see most tracks willing/being able to invest. At a minimum it is $25-50,000 for new video equipment and probably $1500/race day for increased satellite time. Tracks would need new camera(s), lenses, and equipment at production unit. And, they'd need to redo their graphics packages.

I think the ROI for a track would be a very difficult hurdle to meet.

The tracks don't have to go to HD, they just need to feed a 16 x 9 video signal. The majority of people watching will have no clue it's not HD.

ThinkingAlways
04-03-2012, 04:54 PM
Well why would TVG invest in "going HD" if no one can tell the difference. Plus, done correctly, every one could tell the difference.

BIG49010
04-03-2012, 05:34 PM
To get RTN on Dish Network you have to have an HD box, so I would think all the tracks that support HD you would get them in HD?

redshift1
04-03-2012, 06:23 PM
Still no verification except for Gino's comment, unless someone else can corroborate I'm inclined to remain skeptical given the technical and contractual complexities involved.

horses4courses
04-03-2012, 06:39 PM
Now all they have to do is show tracks that you actually want to bet!:cool:

Agree with you there, but Keeneland and Hollywood will give them bigger audiences pretty soon.

ThinkingAlways
04-03-2012, 09:53 PM
To get RTN on Dish Network you have to have an HD box, so I would think all the tracks that support HD you would get them in HD?

I'm not aware of any tracks that transmit their signal to Roberts in HD.

pandy
04-03-2012, 11:31 PM
I thought Churchill was the only track that broadcasts in HD. I hope I'm wrong, it would be great to see NYRA in HD every day.

redshift1
04-04-2012, 12:55 AM
I thought Churchill was the only track that broadcasts in HD. I hope I'm wrong, it would be great to see NYRA in HD every day.

Keeneland as well.

http://www.anddownthestretchtheycome.com/2011/9/29/2458486/keeneland-del-mar-and-tvg-to-pursue-hd-broadcasts

picojim
04-04-2012, 02:21 AM
only six racetracks – Keeneland, Charles Town, and the four tracks owned by Churchill Downs Inc. – have purchased high-definition television cameras and the equipment necessary to broadcast in the HD format

http://www.drf.com/news/tracks-reluctant-spend-money-high-definition-tv-broadcasts

FenceBored
04-04-2012, 08:25 AM
only six racetracks – Keeneland, Charles Town, and the four tracks owned by Churchill Downs Inc. – have purchased high-definition television cameras and the equipment necessary to broadcast in the HD format

http://www.drf.com/news/tracks-reluctant-spend-money-high-definition-tv-broadcasts

Didn't Bob Evans of CDI say something recently about pulling the plug on CDI's HD broadcasts in the next year or two?

Lasix67
04-04-2012, 05:39 PM
Fairgrounds and Calder as well

Striker
04-05-2012, 12:04 AM
Didn't Bob Evans of CDI say something recently about pulling the plug on CDI's HD broadcasts in the next year or two?
Don't know about the pulling the plug on it, but I saw an article where Evans said that CDI spends more than $1 million a year per track for high def presentation and $750,000 a year sending its signals to 42 outlets that can accomodate it.

BIG49010
04-05-2012, 09:54 AM
I would think with every TV station now broadcasting in HD, that the equipment and transmission cost for "Non HD" would become obsolete or more expensive.

castaway01
04-05-2012, 11:03 AM
Fairgrounds and Calder as well

Both owned by Churchill

castaway01
04-05-2012, 11:04 AM
I would think with every TV station now broadcasting in HD, that the equipment and transmission cost for "Non HD" would become obsolete or more expensive.

Not that I don't want races in HD, but if you already owned the non-HD equipment, how could it become more expensive? They'll keep using what they're using, same as I use my old DVD player. It doesn't become more expensive because it's out of date.

usedtolovetvg
04-05-2012, 11:05 AM
It all has to do with bandwidth. For example, if you have a DVR you can record a lot less HD shows than non-HD. The same is true transmitting the signal. HD takes up a lot more satellite and cable space than non-HD. Like everything, the costs will come down but HD is still more expensive just to transmit and that is not including all the equipment upgrades.

ThinkingAlways
04-05-2012, 11:52 AM
It all has to do with bandwidth. For example, if you have a DVR you can record a lot less HD shows than non-HD. The same is true transmitting the signal. HD takes up a lot more satellite and cable space than non-HD. Like everything, the costs will come down but HD is still more expensive just to transmit and that is not including all the equipment upgrades.

What was the quote from Evans above? $750,000/year. What do Churchill's four tracks run in a year -- 300? 400? race days. That means about $2,000 per race day in satellite transmission costs. That is 2 or 3 times the cost for regular TV. How many tracks can afford this given the (current) limited number of locations able to receive these HD signals.

JimG
04-06-2012, 12:18 PM
I appreciate the streaming signal in hd. Watching it increases my enjoyment. Although it does not necessarily add dollars to my pocket. :D

Jim

BIG49010
04-06-2012, 12:48 PM
Not that I don't want races in HD, but if you already owned the non-HD equipment, how could it become more expensive? They'll keep using what they're using, same as I use my old DVD player. It doesn't become more expensive because it's out of date.

Things wear out and break.

I agree I have an old PC I still use for somethings, and when it gives out I don't think I will go out looking for an exact replacement, I will buy something new.

ThinkingAlways
04-06-2012, 02:44 PM
Things wear out and break.

I agree I have an old PC I still use for somethings, and when it gives out I don't think I will go out looking for an exact replacement, I will buy something new.

But put yourself in the position of a small or medium sized track. First, the TV production equipment lasts a loooooong time so you probably aren't going to replace a piece of equipment until it really needs replacing. Then, when you need to replace something, chances are you aren't going to replace the entire production truck/room, switches, heads, and all the cameras at once. You are going to replace just the piece that is broken. And, while you might get a newer/better version of the piece of equipement, you might not opt to jump to a new technology platform because you don't get the benefit of the new platform until all the equipment is on that new platform. HD requires lots to new equipment on a new platform. I'd guess that to convert a track would cost $200k+.

elhelmete
04-06-2012, 03:03 PM
But put yourself in the position of a small or medium sized track. First, the TV production equipment lasts a loooooong time so you probably aren't going to replace a piece of equipment until it really needs replacing. Then, when you need to replace something, chances are you aren't going to replace the entire production truck/room, switches, heads, and all the cameras at once. You are going to replace just the piece that is broken. And, while you might get a newer/better version of the piece of equipement, you might not opt to jump to a new technology platform because you don't get the benefit of the new platform until all the equipment is on that new platform. HD requires lots to new equipment on a new platform. I'd guess that to convert a track would cost $200k+.

Spot on. My bread and butter is the tv biz and and this hits the nail on the head.

HD isn't a magic term. TVG can upconvert the track signals they re-transmit and they won't look much better. If they're 4x3 std def they'll either be boxed or stretched. IMHO, they will look like crap. So will the attendant graphics.

My relatively modest 6 camera show would have cost way over $300K to convert...and we work on a 3000sf stationary stage...so we did bits and pieces (for the geeks...we stayed std def but went 16x9 anamorphic) and upconvert at the very end. Looks decent.

Al Gobbi
04-07-2012, 09:13 AM
They need better cameras not just HD but SD too. Yesterday at Keeneland was a disaster for viewing the races (even worse with the shots to other talent/racetracks), needless to say I'm watching the HD feed at Keeneland's website today.

I don't think its any accident TVG is doing the HP and DMR feeds too, they can focus more on those and even less on the network.

usedtolovetvg
04-07-2012, 12:21 PM
It appears that Betfair is putting all their eggs in the California Exchange Wagering Basket. Unlike most countries, gambling here is regulated by the State not the Feds. They have to have a strong CA presence to accomplish this. Whether it will succeed, well that's the $50 million ?