PDA

View Full Version : Youtube spends 100 million to go after cable

JustRalph
04-02-2012, 04:38 AM
Youtube (owned by Google) spent 100 Million bucks and went to many many tech celebrities and such and just launched "original channels"

They are trying to capitalize on the "cut the cord" movement and the fact that IP TV is coming pre loaded on most new TV's. I am very serously considering getting rid of my cable tv. It's very close.......due to Netflix being available for less than ten bucks a month. Amazon/Hulu etc.

Youtube is trying to push this movement along. I see many failures with the first lineup, but you can check it out here.

http://www.youtube.com/creators/original-channels.html

HUSKER55
04-02-2012, 08:39 AM
we are cutting cable when our current contract expires. there are way less expensive ways to go with the same or better quality.

GameTheory
04-02-2012, 12:12 PM
Works for me as far as most TV & Movies, but what about live sports? ESPN, your local sports channel that is probably on cable/sat these days, Red Zone, etc?

PhantomOnTour
04-02-2012, 12:16 PM
we are cutting cable when our current contract expires. there are way less expensive ways to go with the same or better quality.
You have a contract for cable?

GameTheory
04-02-2012, 12:32 PM
There is also the matter of the fact that the internet can't handle all that bandwidth -- "broadcasting" is such a more sensible way of delivery that a gazillion individual streams. It is already hard to watch Netflix, etc in prime-time some nights. The only result is that internet costs will go up, and [maybe] cable & sat will go down and they'll meet in the middle somewhere. In the end, I somehow doubt it will all be cheaper, but it will certainly be more flexible...

JustRalph
04-02-2012, 10:05 PM
Works for me as far as most TV & Movies, but what about live sports? ESPN, your local sports channel that is probably on cable/sat these days, Red Zone, etc?

Many solving this problem with over the air hd channels. All the major networks have them in populated places

JustRalph
04-02-2012, 10:08 PM
There is also the matter of the fact that the internet can't handle all that bandwidth -- "broadcasting" is such a more sensible way of delivery that a gazillion individual streams. It is already hard to watch Netflix, etc in prime-time some nights. The only result is that internet costs will go up, and [maybe] cable & sat will go down and they'll meet in the middle somewhere. In the end, I somehow doubt it will all be cheaper, but it will certainly be more flexible...

I wtch netflix all the time, never a bandwidth problem. My tv is wireless too

Your points are valid about costs coming down. Competition for the cable companies is great.

I dont see internet going up as much.