PDA

View Full Version : Here's the deal...

PaceAdvantage
03-29-2012, 01:00 AM
I gave Thaskalos COMPLETE CONTROL over this forum.

This means, when he sees a post or thread created by someone else that does not conform to HIS VISION of what this forum should be, he has the ability, and I dare say the DUTY, to DELETE that unwanted reply or thread ON THE SPOT.

Just kill it...delete it...wipe it out...

This way, YOU CAN GO at your own pace...you can CLOSE A THREAD if it's moving too fast...and reopen it later when you have time.

This is YOUR FORUM Thaskalos...do EXACTLY as you see fit...

I implore you to make LIBERAL use of these admin functions you have here in this corner of PaceAdvantage.com

What I also implore you to do is NOT QUIT...even if you go a week or two between contributions...

Nobody is any rush...this place will be here when you find the time...

But learn to use that delete button...

Tom
03-29-2012, 08:46 PM
I second that!
We have a guy willing to share so what say we all shut up and listen to him.
I have two reasons why I give a shit what he has to say.......last year and this year, and with a revised team to boot!

When I get over his team, I'll start my own thread, but until then, I'l take notes.

bob60566
03-29-2012, 08:52 PM
I second that!
We have a guy willing to share so what say we all shut up and listen to him.
I have two reasons why I give a shit what he has to say.......last year and this year, and with a revised team to boot!

When I get over his team, I'll start my own thread, but until then, I'l take notes.

ummm

Mac:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

iceknight
04-08-2012, 11:38 AM
This post discusses serves my personal opinion as a student of the game in the form of a simple note to all who use the Pace Advantage Handicapper's corner. The phrase "Final Word" is just there for humor. Don't get worked up.

1. Thask offered to share HIS methodology/thought process of handicapping as well as other tips (for free). In effect, he is offering a FREE COURSE, so he is the teacher. Now, he also offered to include relevant opinions from others who are knowledgeable, so in effect he is offering the COURSE as an Interactive/Discussion-Workshop series. And it is still FREE. So, if Thask decides that certain other members can contribute as well as make reasonable suggestions, then those members are[COLOR=Red] considered CO-TEACHERS, ok?

Everyone with me still (I am hinting at people who feel they are being silenced)?

2. Based on above point(s), if the Teacher or Co-teachers ask (us) students to go and read basic books on handicapping), it clearly implies that they are giving us homeworks or making sure we cover some prerequisites. As Jay Trotter pointed out somewhere that certain questions belong to the Welcome to Handicapping corner (paraphrased), certain basic questions - no matter how "good" they seem to you - do belong to the 101 level courses or even lower.

So, if someone asks you to read a book - don't take offense at that. They actually care enough for you to list 2-3 books. They could have easily ignored you and your question. For instance, any replies to this post of mine which are attacks - would simply be ignored most of the time. I make better use of my time following Selections board and Forms to bet on horses - and have fun+/and make $.

THASK: You are the Workshop leader - so YOU set the rules. You don't need to spend time responding to questions that take too much time. Just assign homework and ask students to self grade themselves every Saturday at some Stakes races. The Final Exam each year can be at the Breeders Cup :)

Keep this as a gentle reminder that this GAME is a humbling experience and the less ego we carry around, the more we pick up in good knowledge and WINNINGS - even if it is just off of place bets at big prices.
:) Good luck!

The writing above may be shared freely within PA message boards but is otherwise copyrighted to user iceknight and cannot be reproduced elsewhere for commercial use without permission (Apr 2012)

Grits
04-15-2012, 04:08 PM
Thask, your message box is full.

thaskalos
04-15-2012, 04:19 PM
Thask, your message box is full.
Not anymore...thanks.

Grits
04-16-2012, 12:31 PM
I'm disappointed that so many posters, it seems, took over what could have been an outstanding opportunity for many, particularly those of us who are not computer programmers who rely on black boxes each day, but instead have taught ourselves how to handicap, nuts and bolts style, using our own choice of materials--data, pps, figures, etc. Unfortunately, this project has become a tornado, one 3 miles across, having no idea where its headed. This troubles me because I knew I wasn't going to be reading someone fueled by ego, by sarcasm, but one who genuinely cared about passing his experience to others.

Windoor, you've participated with a small number of posts. Your knowledge may be extensive, your data, great; but I'm sorry, we know that this game is NOT an easy one to beat. Telling this to someone who may just be getting started doesn't give hope. No. Instead, it reads like promising riches to a nationwide audience of top sellers at an AMWAY CONVENTION.

I've relayed to Thask that, maybe, he should be the "APP", everyone else should be (or should have been) "PLUG INS" and "ADD ONS". Or, cut the whole deal loose, and write, at will, when time allows, as closed "journal" entries. The latter may prove more controllable and less frustrating.

The teaching threads should have been separated and closed, opened only when Thask, at his choice, wanted to add something else, a point that may have been brought up in conversation in the "discussion threads" that could serve as addendums to each teaching thread.

This could have been uncomplicated and enjoyable. Because I earnestly care about what this project was to be, what Thask was planning, I spent some time yesterday morning in two of his teaching threads (or whatever name you care to give them), here's what I came up with, along with the fact that his posts were lost among the fountain of knowledge.

PART 1

6 pages containing 88 posts

Thask's posts include #s 1, 24, 31, 41, 49, 74.

Six teaching posts out of 88. The rest are dialogue, opinions and questions of others.

PART 2: SPEED

13 pages containing 243 posts

Thask's posts include #s 1, 34, 111, 137, 143, 154, 161.

Seven teaching posts out of 243. The rest are dialogue, opinions and questions of others.

sammy the sage
04-16-2012, 09:06 PM
I'm disappointed that so many posters, it seems, took over what could have been an outstanding opportunity for many, particularly those of us who are not computer programmers who rely on black boxes each day, but instead have taught ourselves how to handicap, nuts and bolts style, using our own choice of materials--data, pps, figures, etc. Unfortunately, this project has become a tornado, one 3 miles across, having no idea where its headed. This troubles me because I knew I wasn't going to be reading someone fueled by ego, by sarcasm, but one who genuinely cared about passing his experience to others.

Windoor, you've participated with a small number of posts. Your knowledge may be extensive, your data, great; but I'm sorry, we know that this game is NOT an easy one to beat. Telling this to someone who may just be getting started doesn't give hope. No. Instead, it reads like promising riches to a nationwide audience of top sellers at an AMWAY CONVENTION.

I've relayed to Thask that, maybe, he should be the "APP", everyone else should be (or should have been) "PLUG INS" and "ADD ONS". Or, cut the whole deal loose, and write, at will, when time allows, as closed "journal" entries. The latter may prove more controllable and less frustrating.

The teaching threads should have been separated and closed, opened only when Thask, at his choice, wanted to add something else, a point that may have been brought up in conversation in the "discussion threads" that could serve as addendums to each teaching thread.

This could have been uncomplicated and enjoyable. Because I earnestly care about what this project was to be, what Thask was planning, I spent some time yesterday morning in two of his teaching threads (or whatever name you care to give them), here's what I came up with, along with the fact that his posts were lost among the fountain of knowledge.

PART 1

6 pages containing 88 posts

Thask's posts include #s 1, 24, 31, 41, 49, 74.

Six teaching posts out of 88. The rest are dialogue, opinions and questions of others.

PART 2: SPEED

13 pages containing 243 posts

Thask's posts include #s 1, 34, 111, 137, 143, 154, 161.

Seven teaching posts out of 243. The rest are dialogue, opinions and questions of others.

Again...well written...says it all...

PaceAdvantage
04-16-2012, 09:12 PM
In his first two "parts," Thaskalos lays out exactly what he wanted to say in the first post...his replies in the follow up posts are responses to the questions raised.

I don't quite see how "Part 1.." and "Part 2..." are all that "complicated" or not "enjoyable."

Either you are interested in what Thaskalos has to say in his initial post in the thread, and if you are, you read further to see what others had to say and Thaskalos' responses...or not.

He lays it all out in the first post, which is exactly how those threads should be conducted.

If all you want to see is what Thaskalos has written in this forum, there is an easy way to conduct such a search, and just get a list of his posts and threads from Handicapper's Corner.

bob60566
04-16-2012, 09:23 PM
So where does the cafe fit into this ?

Mac:confused:

PaceAdvantage
04-16-2012, 09:25 PM
So where does the cafe fit into this ?

Mac:confused:Is it not explained in excruciating detail by Thaskalos himself in post #1 of the following thread?

http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=92893

Here is but a quick snippet:

My aim here is to provide a place where the interested player, REGARDLESS of his knowledge and experience in the game, can ask a question about some aspect of it...and get that question answered in a prompt and satisfactory manner.

bob60566
04-16-2012, 09:45 PM
Is it not explained in excruciating detail by Thaskalos himself in post #1 of the following thread?

http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=92893

Here is but a quick snippet:

That is 100% and my question on this in my previous thread where the thread was heading in Handicapping/Gambling direction.
Mac:)

mountainman
04-30-2012, 11:16 PM
I gave Thaskalos COMPLETE CONTROL over this forum.

sweet decision, sir