PDA

View Full Version : 1988 Chaucer Cup - Who Doctor Who

Track Phantom
03-26-2012, 08:08 PM
Just thought I would share with you a cool race video and PP's from 1988. It was the $150,000 Chaucer Cup at Canterbury (back when CBY used to have big races). It had some great runners, most notably Who Doctor Who.

They went 1:14 flat for 6 1/2 furlongs in what was 1/5 off the world record at the time.

For anyone interested, feel free to take a look. It's kind of cool to look at the PP's from the late '80's and then match it up with the running of the race.

Just thought I'd share.... (It's 6:00 minute mark in the video at the bottom left)
http://www.trackphantom.com/CBY2012.html

Bettowin
03-27-2012, 11:30 AM
Thanks. That really brings back memories. Some of my first major memories of horseracing at Canterbury along with Hoist Her Flag:)

Wiley
03-27-2012, 11:48 AM
That was a cool race. I do remember Who Doctor Who running at La Downs. Was he the all time winningest Nebraska bred? One fast guy.

Also did not realize Tony Bentley announced there, he was at my old hometrack the Fairgrounds for along time.
Don's Irish Melody wins it in back to back years, gutsy performance coming back to win. Those old PP's were sure sparse on info compared to today's.

Bettowin
03-27-2012, 11:55 AM
Some things just don't change:) A west coast horse shipping in to win a nice purse at a midwest track. This time under John Sadler (how young did he look in that interview). Also Mike Smith on a 30-1 shot;)

Track Phantom
03-27-2012, 01:14 PM
Mike Smith started at CBY and was a cut above right from the beginning. I remember he used to have a windmill left-handed whipping action that made him easy to identify.

Love the old races (CBY as my home track). Makes me kind of sad to see how far the racing has digressed. Lost Code, Clever Trevor, Tejano, etc shipping for big races. It's been a long time since CBY has seen a nationally relevant runner in his/her prime.

Who Doctor Who was the absolute best sprinter I've ever seen. Gutsy and consistent. Used to move back and forth between Nebraska and Minnesota. These were the years I got started in the game and I remember all of these horses as if it were yesterday.

Bettowin
03-27-2012, 01:17 PM
Mike Smith started at CBY and was a cut above right from the beginning. I remember he used to have a windmill left-handed whipping action that made him easy to identify.

Love the old races (CBY as my home track). Makes me kind of sad to see how far the racing has digressed. Lost Code, Clever Trevor, Tejano, etc shipping for big races. It's been a long time since CBY has seen a nationally relevant runner in his/her prime.

Who Doctor Who was the absolute best sprinter I've ever seen. Gutsy and consistent. Used to move back and forth between Nebraska and Minnesota. These were the years I got started in the game and I remember all of these horses as if it were yesterday.

Those were the years I also got started. I lived about 10 minutes from the track back then:)

Track Phantom
03-27-2012, 02:21 PM
Those were the years I also got started. I lived about 10 minutes from the track back then:)

It's funny-- I still remember that I bet Savings in the Chaucer Cup.

Also, the other video (bottom right) of the St. Paul Derby that year, my dad and I had a three horse box on Hedeavor the Gold, Fourstardave and Tejano. I convinced my dad to change the bet to Tejano over and under Fourtstardave and Hedeavor the Gold. We (kind of) laughed about that mistake for years.

I got started day after prom in 1986. I have a lot of good memories from back then.

Valuist
03-27-2012, 04:42 PM
Thanks. That really brings back memories. Some of my first major memories of horseracing at Canterbury along with Hoist Her Flag:)

I rememeber seeing Hoist Her Flag run at Canterbury. I've been to Cby 3 times although haven't been there since 1991. Was always a very nice, clean track. Like a mini-Arlington.

delayjf
03-28-2012, 09:18 AM
Was he the all time winningest Nebraska bred? One fast guy.

No Charging Falls was the all time leading money winner - Who Doctor Who was good but a lot of NE trainers I knew though Amadevil, another NE sprinter, was better.

Also, Mike Smith was riding at Ak-Sar-Ben before he rode at CBY.

delayjf
03-28-2012, 09:35 AM
Noticed Louis Brandt had a horse in the race - anybody know what ever happened to him. He dominated Ak in the late 70's. Thanks for the video - what a great race.

Valuist
03-29-2012, 09:51 PM
Noticed Louis Brandt had a horse in the race - anybody know what ever happened to him. He dominated Ak in the late 70's. Thanks for the video - what a great race.

I remember he used to race at Arlington and Hawthorne in the early 80s. I remember he had an Illinois bred named Blue Water Line who was a pretty good horse. He also had a nice horse named Barbery who won some races at Arlington and Oaklawn in the mid-80s. I don't think I saw him race at Arlington after they rebuilt in 1989.