PDA

View Full Version : Initial Industry Response to Times, limited

Grits
03-26-2012, 07:49 PM
http://www.drf.com/news/initial-industry-responses-times-article-are-limited

Grits
03-26-2012, 07:52 PM
Fallacies and all, one may want to keep in mind, this is a series. Sunday's, of course, being the first installment.

The first article in a series planned by the New York Times examining injuries in horse racing has put the racing world under a harsh spotlight and may have serious consequences for the sport, including the possibility of a renewed push for federal regulation, according to racing officials.

lamboguy
03-26-2012, 08:00 PM
good response from AB, but what racing needs is action, not a lot of words.

drugs must go, and limitations on stalls and ownership for starters

blind squirrel
03-26-2012, 08:13 PM
good response from AB, but what racing needs is action, not a lot of words.

drugs must go, and limitations on stalls and ownership for startersdrugs....gotta go{Euros do it right}... ...too many race days,gotta cut back.
Horse racing needs a Commissioner like Goodell

Tom
03-26-2012, 09:28 PM
Let's hop in the rest of the installments the Times gets the facts straight for a change. So far, their product has been very poorly researched and is a sham of a report. The nuggets of truth it have been buried is a sea of BS.

"Appears" to be an injury?
What is this guy, in 5th grade???

Some_One
03-26-2012, 09:32 PM
Fallacies and all, one may want to keep in mind, this is a series. Sunday's, of course, being the first installment.

Federal regulation is exactly what the sport needs, one body to tell tracks when they can run so that we don't have 40 tracks in the summer with 8 6-horse races each.

Racey
03-26-2012, 09:59 PM
Is and will always be a biased liberal rag.....

NJ Stinks
03-26-2012, 10:12 PM
Federal regulation is exactly what the sport needs, one body to tell tracks when they can run so that we don't have 40 tracks in the summer with 8 6-horse races each.

Please. No more government regulation. Blind Squirrel had it right. We need a commissioner or some kind of governing body outside the actual government.

rastajenk
03-26-2012, 10:28 PM
Are the ones calling for more federal regulation of horse racing more inclined, or less inclined, to be the same ones supporting Obamacare, government bailouts, and other politically charged intrusions into the workings of a market? I wonder if it's a grayer area for you (the generic you: each of you or any of you) in this instance concerning the game you think you love more than anyone else does.

Is there something unique about horse racing that demands more government management; more than there already is, of course, at the state level? Is it constitutionally sound to create a new bureaucracy because some people think it will make the game better, defined however you want to define it? Is that consistent with your overall political worldview? Just asking.

Robert Goren
03-27-2012, 05:51 AM
I am a liberal and even I think the federal government needs to stay out of horse racing. Practically speaking the only thing the federal government can do is pass a bunch of laws concerning the sport. Horse racing problems are not in my opinion coming from the lack of regulation. I think it has plenty of that. There maybe a problem with lack of enforcement of that regulation, but is highly unlikely that the Feds would do much better.

Horse racing today is full of desperate men desperately trying to hang on to the only life they know. People in that situation will do almost anything.
I am not sure what the game needs to do survive, but am sure what is happening at most race tracks isn't working. The sharks smell blood in the water. Bottom feeders like PETA and investigating reporters are drawn to dying industries. If the industry was strong, it could laugh them off. As it is now, they are just more nails in coffin. Get ready for more the same bad publicity. It is coming on all fronts not just the horse safety issue. A weak and divided industry is an easy target. Attacking the messenager only invites more attacks. It is taken as a sign that message was on target. Any good PR man knows that.

Tom
03-27-2012, 09:26 PM
If anyone needs federal regulating, it is the horse-racing press.

They made up the statistics!
The National Enquirer has higher standards than the Times.
What's next for the NYT....an expose about Bat Boy being a jockey and using a battery?

5k-claim
03-27-2012, 09:35 PM
Horse racing problems are not in my opinion coming from the lack of regulation. I think it has plenty of that. There maybe a problem with lack of enforcement of that regulation, but is highly unlikely that the Feds would do much better. I think you've got it exactly here.

I agree with you 100%. Or maybe 200% since I totally agree with the second half of your statement, as well. Racing is seen as a sport with no real deterrents to cheating, which allows the cheaters to run amok. That has to come to an end.