PDA

View Full Version : A personal Lawyer story for you

BetHorses!
03-26-2012, 10:41 AM
In September 2010 I retained an attorney in New York to go for custody of my daughter. The retainer was $15,000 and he billed $400 hr. This was my 2nd attorney. First lawyer did a terrible job with my divorce agreement and failed to protect my rights with certain aspects as I later found out.

This 2nd attorney, started running the bill down without filing any paperwork at all. i.e reviewing emails and not responding to the questions within them $80....phone conversations $120 etc.....After 4 months, I emailed him and asked him directly when petitions will be filed and the response was "next week"....Then another matter came up where my kid told me a relative hit her. The lawyer told to me file a complaint w that other local family court as well in order to "bolster" his custody case. Long story short, two months go by and the preliminary hearing for the other case is called and he fails to show up even though I have a confirmation in writing from him 2 days prior that he will be there. I immediately fired him for this and the fact he still did not file custody petitions.

Then I demanded a final accounting and refund. TWO months go by and I finally get the accounting where it shows I still have about a $7,500 credit which was INSANE BUT no refund check. He even charged $800 for the court appearance where he nor anyone on his staff showed up.

Bottom line...after another year and someone advising me to take him to fee arbitraton, I finally won an award of about 70% of my original retainer. And the only reason I won was he did not send regular invoices. So they reverted back to an invoice from February. All the other bogus charges on his final accounting which include about six months of ridiculous charges were tossed. Took about six weeks and several stalling tactics (he mailed the check and it never came) for him to pay it but I received my money at last.

Its just absolutely amazing that an attorney can basically borrow money from you and do nothing whatsoever on a case, hold your credit for a year+ then pay back 70% of it 1.5 yrs later only after I initated action. And had I received regular invoices he probably would have kept 50% of my retainer. All without going to court once. Simply amazing..

I know the bar has a grievance comittee but he'll just get a slap on the wrist which is all confidential anyway. Spoke to a couple of legal malpractice guys and they both said my case is over cause I chose fee arbitration as opposed to suing him with damages included. Is this true? Money aside, no price on the fact that I lost any chance at getting my daughter (even though I acknowledge it was very slim to none)

The family courts are so stacked against the fathers, words just can't explain it you just need to experience it yourself. Hopefully none of you will. I do not wish that on my worst enemies..

HUSKER55
03-26-2012, 01:38 PM
ABOUT 15 years ago I loaned my pickup to a friend who got in an accident. It was the usual he said-they said. They tried to sue me, cause I had insurance and guess what, the insurance failed to show. I had to get my own attorney.

At our first meeting I told him I could not spend my money twice. He looked at me and said that I wasn't his only client. I said thank god.

Then he said, when I get up in the morning and think about my clients and now you, do you know what happens?....I spit in the mirror.

I said fine. When I think of laywers it is generally when I am wiping by ass.

after a year the "victim" was proven at fault and I got a brand new pickup.

I know this is not the same as your case but the point is, his fees were posted up front and were not negotiable. However, I got an itemized bill with the correspondence that matched.

More importantly, we understood that I was not hiring a friend,...I was hiring a lawyer and I wanted a prick. He informed me that was exactly what I was getting and what the terms were.

You need to do the same. and don't be embarrassed to take a tape recorder to the meetings.

You are hiring a laywer. If your lawyer is a women then tell her piont blank blunt, " I want a bitch and I want to win" "You may swing a mean bikini but I don't care I want to win".

If that lawyer gets flustered with you at that point,..why would you want her to represent you against the other sharks? (in this example)

I will tell you another good way to find a good lawyer. Go down to the filing office and find out who the busiest clerk is. The first time he/she steps out of her office take that person to lunch and find out who the top three or four lawyers are with cases of your general area and then find out who wins the fastest and who has the shortest completion cycle rate.

you want to win and I don't think you can do it by just walking in and telling your sad story and then wait for results.

just my opinion and I hope you win!

Good luck :)

BetHorses!
03-26-2012, 09:08 PM
thanks but the point of my story is an attorney basically borrowed money from me, did nothing on the case and returned less money to me 1.5 yrs later. And there is nothing I can do about it. Its too late for me to go for custody now as my child is pretty much situated where she is and starting Kindergarten in Sept. At the time I retained this jerk, she was moved to another county without me being properly notified

JustRalph
03-26-2012, 09:11 PM
I am surprised that you got anything back at all. Good for you!

nijinski
03-27-2012, 01:32 AM
In September 2010 I retained an attorney in New York to go for custody of my daughter. The retainer was $15,000 and he billed $400 hr. This was my 2nd attorney. First lawyer did a terrible job with my divorce agreement and failed to protect my rights with certain aspects as I later found out.

This 2nd attorney, started running the bill down without filing any paperwork at all. i.e reviewing emails and not responding to the questions within them $80....phone conversations $120 etc.....After 4 months, I emailed him and asked him directly when petitions will be filed and the response was "next week"....Then another matter came up where my kid told me a relative hit her. The lawyer told to me file a complaint w that other local family court as well in order to "bolster" his custody case. Long story short, two months go by and the preliminary hearing for the other case is called and he fails to show up even though I have a confirmation in writing from him 2 days prior that he will be there. I immediately fired him for this and the fact he still did not file custody petitions.

Then I demanded a final accounting and refund. TWO months go by and I finally get the accounting where it shows I still have about a $7,500 credit which was INSANE BUT no refund check. He even charged $800 for the court appearance where he nor anyone on his staff showed up.

Bottom line...after another year and someone advising me to take him to fee arbitraton, I finally won an award of about 70% of my original retainer. And the only reason I won was he did not send regular invoices. So they reverted back to an invoice from February. All the other bogus charges on his final accounting which include about six months of ridiculous charges were tossed. Took about six weeks and several stalling tactics (he mailed the check and it never came) for him to pay it but I received my money at last.

Its just absolutely amazing that an attorney can basically borrow money from you and do nothing whatsoever on a case, hold your credit for a year+ then pay back 70% of it 1.5 yrs later only after I initated action. And had I received regular invoices he probably would have kept 50% of my retainer. All without going to court once. Simply amazing..

I know the bar has a grievance comittee but he'll just get a slap on the wrist which is all confidential anyway. Spoke to a couple of legal malpractice guys and they both said my case is over cause I chose fee arbitration as opposed to suing him with damages included. Is this true? Money aside, no price on the fact that I lost any chance at getting my daughter (even though I acknowledge it was very slim to none)

The family courts are so stacked against the fathers, words just can't explain it you just need to experience it yourself. Hopefully none of you will. I do not wish that on my worst enemies..

You would have to prove that there is neglect or that your ex is unfit for the custody of your daughter .
One family I know of where the Dad got both his kids was a long drawn out
case. I remember the kids had to be put through alot . Apparently they wanted to go with their Dad and they were displaying behavioral problems so they were assigned psychologists which helped the fathers case.
There was also random testing of alcohol which was an issue with the Mom.

Don't know the personal specifics , so it's tough to say. If there is a real need for your daughter to be taken from her Mom , you have to go for it .

BetHorses!
03-28-2012, 07:56 PM
I am surprised that you got anything back at all. Good for you!

Thank you, JustRalph. Yeah its amazing what these guys get away with. Disgusting