PDA

View Full Version : Computer dead?

Tom
12-26-2003, 09:57 AM
Powered up my W982 computer today, and none of the shortcuts in the Office Task bar would work. I used an icon for Outlook Express on the desktop to open it, an it was acting wacky-could not close an email I sent myself and then ctr-alt-del would not close it out either, an eventually the whoile thing shut down. Now I cannot reboot-cannot get past the MS W98 greeting screen to get to the safe mode.
I hesitate to ask, but is there anything I can do at home to get this going? Don't have/can't find a boot disk. Can one of these be downloaded somewhere?

Tom
12-26-2003, 10:39 AM
Found a site called bottdisk.com where I was able to download a boot disk. When the computer comes up, it is A:/
How do I get windoews up and running again?
I assume there is a start up file on C:/ somewhere?\

Got it. Now I am told I am missing a device or resource for VFAT???? Huh?

Tom
12-26-2003, 11:49 AM
Now it is telling me that there is an invalid VxD dynamic link to device 48B service 74 and I need to run the Windows set up program....,except it doens't tell me where this is to run.
Did I ever mention I hate microsoft?

Dave Schwartz
12-26-2003, 12:06 PM
Doctor Bombay, Doctor Bombay, Please come right away! (If he doesn't answer, I'd switch to Ralph.)

In the meantime, while Doctor Bombay is screwing around...

Windows setup is on your original Windows CD.

It means you are re-installing the Operating System.

Hope you have backups of your important stuff.

Happy New Year. <G>

Dave

Tom
12-26-2003, 12:12 PM
Originally posted by Dave Schwartz
Doctor Bombay, Doctor Bombay, Please come right away! (If he doesn't answer, I'd switch to Ralph.)

In the meantime, while Doctor Bombay is screwing around...

Windows setup is on your original Windows CD.

It means you are re-installing the Operating System.

Hope you have backups of your important stuff.

Happy New Year. <G>

Dave

Hope you have backups of your important stuff. <G>

Dave,
I think you meant to put the grin here? HaHa.

I think I have it fixed....at least for now. That's the nice thing about MS....when something doesn't work the first 6 times you try it, it might on the 7th <G>

Anyways, the day will be spend backing up everything. This POS computer is going to drive me nuts yet. Her eit is 2004 almost...when will SOMEONE come out with a home computer that:
1. Works
2. Is designed for non-technical people
3. Works
4. Is secure
5. Works.

PaceAdvantage
12-26-2003, 10:00 PM
Didn't you just install a DVD or CD writer on that thing Tom?

Tom
12-26-2003, 10:49 PM
No. Just opened an email and the whole thing went wacky.
Haven't added any programs in a long time.
I finally got it back.... somehow.

JustRalph
12-27-2003, 08:59 AM
Originally posted by Tom
No. Just opened an email and the whole thing went wacky.

now you know what comes in emails don't you...?

send me a p.m. tom for any help you need. I have family in town But will do my best to keep up with you.....

Ralph

Tom
12-27-2003, 12:25 PM
Ralph,

I sent the email to me!
Everything I did yesterday doesn't work today.
At least I got most of my data off it and onto an external hard drive.
At this point, I am no tgoing to even try to fix it...just re-eva;luate whether I really want to continue relying on a computer for anything at all. My feeling are it is time to forget them for anything by minor things-web surfing, etc. They are just too damn poorly designed to depend on them.

Thaks for the offer.

Tom

BillW
12-27-2003, 12:39 PM
Originally posted by Tom
Ralph,

I sent the email to me!

Tom

Damn, you can't trust anybody these days. :p

Tom
12-27-2003, 12:57 PM
Originally posted by BillW
Damn, you can't trust anybody these days. :p

HeHeHe.....If I ever catch, me, why I'll wring my neck!

BillW
12-27-2003, 01:06 PM
Originally posted by Tom
HeHeHe.....If I ever catch, me, why I'll wring my neck!

nyuck, nyuck, nyuck

PaceAdvantage
12-27-2003, 01:13 PM
All you need is sufficient backup of your hard drive, and anything can happen and you'll be ok....

With the prices of drives these days, it only makes sense to buy a duplicate hard drive, and just copy one drive to the other every month or so, and put the copy away in a safe place.

Tom
12-28-2003, 10:06 AM
My computer is on life support. I left in on last night because I don't want to spend an hour trying to turn it on today.
I spent two days backing up to an external HD and now its time to do a transplant - remove an OS that is corrupt and poorly desinged with one that is poorly designed and not yet corrupt.
I backed up all my data files, saved all my download files so I can re-install (oh boy, fun-city coming up!) I saved my Favorites files, hoping I can just copy them back in?
Am I forgeting anything?
After I re-install, I will have to go back and re-install all the patches, etc. from MS website? (*groan*)