PDA

View Full Version : NEED ADVICE

HUSKER55
03-22-2012, 04:51 AM
MY COMPUTER WORKS fine when nothing is moving but as soon as a race starts or if I watch tv the picture reduces a horse to a gray hound and is so "fuzzy" that even that is up for debate.

The cable company installed a new cable which has extra shielding and a reinforced shell, whatever that means. The cable guy came in and plugged his computer into mine and said that the new line puts out 2000 something and my computer reads 256k.

the neighbor girl said to get a vidio card with a large memory but the repair shop says my chips are way outdated. I have two athon dual cores

any thoughts?

thanks

JustRalph
03-22-2012, 05:27 AM
How old is the system?

Lots of reasons this can happen.......

First thing i would do is find another computer (newer laptop or desktop?) to put on the same connection, even if you have to borrow a friends etc, and i mean the exact same cable. See how it performs, then go from there.

Also you could do a speed test from one of the speed testing sites and compare notes

I would not start throwing parts at it........until you are sure whats up. Proccessors that cant keep up, wont be much better after you add a Better video card. By the time you do both you could have bought a new system practically

wilderness
03-22-2012, 09:31 AM
the neighbor girl said to get a vidio card with a large memory but the repair shop says my chips are way outdated. I have two athon dual cores

I've an HP 8200n with a 3.2 gig Pentium 4 (single) and mine works just fine for race video.

Before that I had a machine with a 2.1gif Athlon processor and video worked fine.

a 256k video card is for very, very old computers and I kinda think the cable guy was wrong in his assessment.

HUSKER55
03-22-2012, 12:15 PM
THANKS GUYS. i DIDN'T UNDERSTAND WHAT HE WAS TALKING ABOUT SO THAT DOES NOT HELP THE SITUATION.

MY COMPUTER IS OLD, 2004, BUT WHEN i GO TO THE REPAIR SHOP I AM TOLD THEY USE ATHlONS FOR GAMING.

SOMEHOW, SOMEWHERE I AM LOST. I PROBABLY NEED A NEW COMPUTER EXCEPT IT WORKS JUST FINE FOR EVERYTHING ELSE, IT JUST DOESN'T WORK FOR WHAT I WANT. (there is logic in there somewhere).

i am not in the mood to buy a new computer till I figure out what is wrong with this one.

Am I wrong on this?

wilderness
03-22-2012, 01:27 PM
i am not in the mood to buy a new computer till I figure out what is wrong with this one.

Perhaps you should start by providing the EXACT brand and model number of your computer, which would allow others to locate the exact specifications (even the video card) of the machine?

Until last fall, I used a 2002-2003 machine (2.1gig Athlon processor) which functioned just fine.

Marshall Bennett
03-22-2012, 02:46 PM
Old computers like that seem to die piece by piece. I know a lot less than most here about computers, but I've heard several instances where age seemed to be the biggest factor. My last computer was 7 years old when I finally gave up and bought another. The time and humiliation in keeping it going just wasn't worth it any longer.

wilderness
03-22-2012, 04:56 PM
I fired up a DX2-66 with an overclocked AMD-K6-2.
A whopping 300-meg cpu.
Windows 98 to boot.

It was slow as hell, however necessary to accomplish the task I needed.
I may smash the thing with a sledge-hammer now just for amusement ;)

Anything with an approximate 2-meg CPU will still function fine as long as it's not one of those crippled lower-market CPU's (i. e., Celeron and others).

I ran a 2.0-gig CPU with a 12-gig (overrated 12 was actually 9) internet connection and it worked just fine.

HUSKER55
03-22-2012, 10:41 PM
THE CHIPS ARE ATHLONS 4300D 64 X2 2.2 GIG AND THE VIDIO CARD IS A NVIDIA GEFORCE 7300LE

headhawg
03-22-2012, 10:52 PM
Husker, is your computer hooked up to your tv and not a computer monitor? Or do you have a tv tuner card in your PC? That's the impression that I am getting from your first post that you watch tv and play the ponies using the same display.

How long has this fuzziness been going on? The statement from the cable guy is confusing. You are supposed to have a download speed of 2000 kbps but only have 256?? (I am also confused about your "repair" shop. They won't diagnose the problem?)

Do what JR posted. And don't throw good money after bad -- have someone you trust help you pick up a new machine.

HUSKER55
04-01-2012, 02:17 PM
Neighbor girl came over yeterday and took my video card out and put it in her computer. As she put it, works fine considering how old it is.

She thought my picture should be better. So she came over with a tester, (looks like a circle but acts like an voltage/amp meter) and started going over my cords.

long story short, I bought a set of cords and she fixed one of the connectors on the monitor and now it works good enough so I am not in a forced buy. But yes, I still have to get a better machine.

You would be amazed what a new set of cords will do. OK ok, that and she fixed a security clip inside the monitor.

I got her and her fiance a gift card for lunch and a bottle of wine at a new greek restaurant here in town. They were tickled and so was I.

Thanks guys for your input. I really appreciate it. Thanks again.:)